Superpowers in fiction that seem awesome but are actually nightmare inducing?!

you ever imagine a death-note situation in real life? i know that’s not a super-power in itself, but say if a person did have the ability to make all the things they write come true (without the help of a literal demon), especially how lives ends, that’s pretty horrific. there could be a potential superpower like this where most people would think of it in a lighter way, like someone can write a love story that comes true, or can write themselves to success but the nightmare part is that they’re effectively puppeteering other people’s lives, and their success could be due to evil means (i.e. committing crimes, murder, thievery, etc.) imagine a mix between death-note and the-school-of-good-and-evil where the writing in a book narrates or controls the lives that people have.)

often, i think about the kind of power that wanda from the marvel universe has too. a little similar. effectively puppeteering other’s lives. it looks like everything is dandy and fine and everyone is acting on their own accord, but she’s torturing the people around her, not giving them the freedom of thought, of action. i think that’s terrifying.

1 Like