The Big Thread On How To Get Reads (And Readers) - Wattpad, Tapas and More Coming Soon

Absolutely! I’ll shoot you a direct message.
That’s such a useful feature damn.

I’m trying to find people who use these platforms. Feel free to hmu with any writers from there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Actualllyyy that is a feature on pretty much EVERY forum that uses this software. Wattpad just took it off to try and limit things. Thats how mods can give private warnings. Its just disabled for anyone NOT a moderator ;-;

2 Likes

Aaah. At least I prefer the website in that aspect. All conversations are private (but it’s annoying how we can’t have any group discussion there.) :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Oh, I use

• Tapas
  • Quotev (Although I just started)
  • Royal Road
  • The shameful one…Webnovel
2 Likes

oooh thanks for mentioning tapas
it is good although it’s still less focused on written works

1 Like

I thought Tapas was only for comics?

2 Likes

it was but they’ve started letting people post written works too

2 Likes

Great write-up! I’m interested to see the Tapas one; I’m pretty new to that platform, and it’s a little different with how I split up chapters because of the reader expectations and character limit. I really like the interface, though. It’s also cool to be able to have thumbnails for each “episode.”

I’d also be interested to see tips on Royal Road. I have an account there, but from reading some of the stories, it seems like the demographics and genre preferences there are very different from Wattpad and Tapas, so I wasn’t sure if the audience would like my very gay, heavily female and nonbinary casts. Even if it’s still fantasy, there are so many different subgenres.

2 Likes

It’s up! :slight_smile:
Oh yeah, I find their interface constantly improving. And it’s more visual too.

From what I have seen, Royal Road seems to favour High Fantasy. Do you have any particular advice you’d like to share?

1 Like

High fantasy and maybe Sci-Fi from what I’ve seen. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Is Royal Road another website or another series? I write high fantasy so…curious.

1 Like

Hello. Royal Road is a website (affiliated to Amazon), and if you write High Fantasy, there’s a good chance that your book will perform better there than Wattpad. It takes writing and reviews seriously.

2 Likes

Cool. I’ve never heard of it. Are you on it?

1 Like

I write paranormal/urban fantasy romance about werewolves, so Wattpad is THE place for me hahahah :slight_smile:

I can only imagine how it is treating high fantasy x

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen, Royal Road seems to be oriented more toward a predominantly male audience. The really populat stories there are LitRPGs, which are basically fantasy stories based on games that bring the RPG elements into the story, so the characters literally level up and have a user interface like a health bar.

I’m not sure if I have any specific advice because I haven’t tried to publish there yet; the demographics and core interests feel a lot different from my usual writing niches. Readers can leave starred reviews, and I clicked on a book once and saw low reviews because the main character was “too feminist.” That doesn’t mean the majority of the audience has certain opinions, but I’m not sure if my queer fantasy fantasy romances would be well-received there, whereas Wattpad and Tapas are very LGBT-friendly.

Also, I did read some of the popular stories, and while I won’t deny they’re good, they just aren’t in my specific interests. I love fantasy, but traditional fantasy with slaying goblins and such doesn’t quite grip me as it once did. However, if I ever make progress on my other more traditional dark fantasy stories, they might perform okay there (though they’re still super gay).

3 Likes

It’s not great tbh. I do have a lot of reads but that’s from 10 years of it being online. I don’t have many regular readers probably because of the daunting 5k chapters or 156k word count but that’s typical for high fantasy. For Twattpad? Not so much. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I got that ‘RPG’ vibe too. I love a good isekai as much as anyone but seeing a ‘feminist’ comment like that would put me off publishing any more. I do have some LGBTQ+ content in my works but it’s side character stuff. I was worried that some people would accuse me of ‘queer baiting’ considering how dire the circumstances they are in but a friend told me: ‘Nah, you make things unfair for everyone so it’s equal angst and pain.’ :joy:

1 Like

I also use Tumblr and gained about 2000 followers in a year on one of my writing accounts. Would any one be interested in tips for that site? I know not many people use it anymore, but I am part of a few writing communities that seemed pretty lively.

1 Like

Sure, I would! My main account has 750 followers, but I mostly just put stuff in the queue because I don’t know what to write about on there.

1 Like

Advocating for quotev as well for writing, but be aware they are a rowdy bunch, especially because no one knows who’s in charge so they’re used to getting away with everything

1 Like