The ruler can/will be any gender so long as the person knows what they are doing?

In fantasy and even science-fiction, monarchies and even republics there is that one set gender ruling or running things.

Sometimes, there are monarchies and republics where any gender can rule or run things so long as the person knows what they are doing and whatnot.

Do you have that in your fantasy or science-fiction novels?
A nation where any gender can rule or run things. For appearances it is still called a kingdom or empire or republic or even something else, but the reality is that people of any gender can rule or run the land nowadays.

What do you think?
I shall return with my work in a bit.

4 Likes

bump.

In my sci-fi, there is still a lot of faulty ideology and issues in the world on Earth. Sexism is one of them, though it is more prevalent in the poverty and war stricken areas outside of the safe zones. Therefore, male leaders are more likely to exist in those areas. Inside the safe zones, gender isn’t taken into account as heavily when it comes to leadership roles, but sexism is still a thing (even though gender doesn’t determine leadership capabilities and shouldn’t even be a factor taken into considertion in my opinion). However, once the main cast leaves the planet in search of new worlds to terraform, their very first leader (captain of the ship) is female, and gender is no longer taken into serious consideration when choosing leaders on other planets. The decision is made based solely on the abilities and skills that are required for the position.

2 Likes

It depends on how they are chosen. Elected by the public vs elected by cardinals.

1 Like

Is this your story or no???

1 Like

So, poverty and war stricken places are full of sexism while the safer places do not care about gender and only concern themselves with people who are capable, correct?

1 Like

In general, the gender can be determined by how the ruler gets into office

1 Like

Essentially, yes. The issues are all interconnected (though, not necessary the cause of each other, if that makes sense). The safe zones have the resources to solve these issues while the rest of the world is falling apart. However, the resources for the safe zones are dwindling as well, hence the need to terraform new planets and start fresh.

When the world is under so much stress just to survive, it’s difficult to solve societal issues because the focus is on survival, not bettering the quality of life for everyone, so those societal issues fester and become worse. When survival isn’t as much as a concern and basic needs are being met, people have the luxury of turning their focus towards bettering the quality of life for everyone, including working on societal issues such as sexism and equality in general.

2 Likes

Oooo this one depends on the world. For my two main words, the Ruler’s gender is not a big deal. They’ve had men, women, non-binary, gender fluids, and transgender people all throughout the history.

Other worlds are . . . less open minded :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Elgana doesn’t have that kind of discrimination. The only thing is race. You cannot become the leader of another race. Oh my gosh, god forbid if you ever tried to. You’d be shunned for sure.

Elganians would laugh if they heard gender or sexuality could be something to discriminate against. Of course, anyone can take power.

That being said, Sorcerers have a weird thing with aesthetics. They would prefer certain sexualities not assert themselves (they approve girlxgirl relationships but not boyxboy relationships, for example). So, Sorcerers would likely not want a gay male Sorcerer to lead them. This will change in later years, however.

1 Like

It depends on a story and a country within a story. Overall, I think the only story where I had gender matter for succession a huge deal was my matriarchal world.

1 Like