[The Tip Cauldron #3] Ask your writing questions here!

Welcome to the Tip Cauldron, the official Wacky Writers writing column. It’s run by your friendly neighbourhood mods and writers, me (Jane/@FireAlwaysReturns) and Mari (@alcoholandcaffeine). We will answer your writing questions on the first Friday of every month, giving tips, tricks, and insights!

The questions is where you come in. Every month, we will be opening a thread in which you can ask questions for us to answer in the column – this thread! We will be answering between 5 and 8 questions, so ask away.

We’re looking forward to seeing you in the column!
:featherfox: :coolpineapple:

Check out the previous edition of the Tip Cauldron here!

6 Likes

No questions yet? :frowning: Boo!

1 Like

They must be shy this weekend

1 Like

What’s the right balance between dialogue and description?Cause I always feel like my work is dialogue heavy, but adding in more description feels forced.

Also how do you motivate yourself to keep writing just one or two books rather than writing lots at once or abandoning your original idea and then never finishing any of them?

2 Likes

ooh, thank you, those are two very good questions! but depending on how many others we get, we might not be able to answer both, so which one would be your first choice?

2 Likes

Probably the first one :))

2 Likes

Still shy, it would seem.

1 Like

Hmmm. That’s no good.

1 Like

Not sure if you answered this question already, but how do you push through writer’s block?

2 Likes

Ooooooohhhhh

2 Likes

I like that. Thank you for the question!

2 Likes

How to create subplots

3 Likes

How do you streamline your ideas? Sometimes I get so many ideas for the same story, that my plot changes at least three times, half of the cast are axed and then some are brought back, and even some new characters end up changed.

3 Likes

I also got another one (hope you don’t mind :sweat_smile:): what are some differences between American and British grammar? I know that Americans use " and Brits use ’ but I’m not sure about the rest, so I tend to mix them up :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

We don’t mind, but we might not be able to answer both, so which one’s your first choice?

3 Likes

I think the first one.

3 Likes

Aw snap, I was already thinking of the answer in my head. Sad sigh Someone better ask a grammar question soon

3 Likes

That is an excellent question!

2 Likes

Last call for the Tip Cauldron express! Submissions are closing in 24 hours~

1 Like

Aw… Nothing? No one? :frowning: I’ll probably forget to close this in an hour, lol, but I will close it today as soon as I remember so drop your questions if you still have 'em!!