The Tip Cauldron: Ask Your Writing Questions Here! 🖋

Welcome to the Tip Cauldron, the official Wacky Writers writing column!

It’s run by your friendly neighbourhood mods and writers, Jane (@FireAlwaysReturns) and Mari (@alcoholandcaffeine). We will answer your writing questions on the first Friday of every month, giving tips, tricks, and insights!

The questions is where you come in! Since we’ve learned it’s not so easy to come up with questions on the spot, we’ve decided to keep this thread open forever, or at least until the the column dies. Whichever comes first.

So – hop on in and drop your writing questions as you think of them. Every month, Jane and I will choose five or so, to answer in our column which comes out on the first Friday of every month. We’ll archive the posts below :point_down: so you have easier access to them, as needed.

If you have any feature suggestions, we’d love to hear them below! Would you like to be part of a Tip Cauldron tag group? :eyes: Let us know and make sure you subscribe to our blog here!

2 Likes

The Tip Cauldron Archive

The Tip Cauldron #1: They/Them, Fantasy Economics and More!

The Tip Cauldron #2: Preptober, Pantsing and Writing Numbers

The Tip Cauldron #3: Subplots, Writer’s Block and British vs American Grammar

The Tip Cauldron #4: Metaphors, Text Speech, Repetition and More!

The Tip Cauldron #5: Fantasy Fight Scenes, Chekhov’s Gun and Trimming Your Draft

1 Like

The 3rd Tip Cauldron is live! Check it out here and let us know how you like it:

what is the best way to write texting into a story?

3 Likes

Writing other languages? Like, how much of it should you put in the text as the actual language and how much is it just “they said this in this language”

2 Likes
  1. How to avoid using filter words while writing in first person?
  2. How to perfectly incorporate descriptions about the surroundings and people without making it seem too boring, long and overly-descriptive?
  3. Basic advice for writing in first person.
1 Like
  1. How do you make your sentences :sparkles: flow? :sparkles:
  2. Handling dark/tragic stories – how do you balance heavy, painful conflict threads with more light-hearted moments?
  3. How to improve your writing if you’re stuck in a plateau?
  4. How bad is repetition, really? If it’s used as a literary device i.e. intentionally, will it still leave a bad taste in the reader’s mouth?
  5. How do you come up with unique plots to stories? What are some ways to invert tropes?
  6. Overwriter’s question: for a contemp lit genre, 120K is too much, right? What are some ways to cut down the draft?
1 Like

What do you mean by filter words?

Also OMG Y’ALL SOOOOO MANY GOOD QUESTIONS!!!

i just got more. i’m editing my post now XDDDD

1 Like

Awesome :joy: Just keep in mind the Tip Cauldron comes out once a month so we won’t be able to get to all of these right away, but it’s great to have a variety to choose from! So thanks for contributing :beautifulheart:

1 Like

No problem! The more the merrier aye

1 Like

so glad I was not the only one who didn’t know this :joy:
So, when we write in first person we use ‘I’, right?
But we can’t always keep using I saw, I noticed, I cried, I shouted…

Google explains better lol

Filter words are verbs that increase the narrative distance, reminding us that what we’re reading is being told by someone rather than experienced, or shown, through the eyes of the character. Examples include noticed, seemed, spotted, saw, realized, felt, thought, wondered, believed, knew, decided.

1 Like

Oh, lol. Yeah, I don’t know writing rules, which is something I made clear from the very first Tip Cauldron :joy: I usually end up googling a lot of what y’all ask lmao.

1 Like

Fat lot of help you are. Just kidding!! :joy:
Guess it’s torture ask Google time! XD

1 Like

Woo! Our very own researchers!

1 Like

It’s not torture, it’s LeArNinG :rofl:

1 Like

…busted :joy:

1 Like

Does anyone have any more writing questions? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, anyone?? Anything??? This is your last chance in 2020! :rofl:

1 Like

Exactly, 2020 is almost over! Last chance for questions from the Year of the Plague!

1 Like