The Wattpad Book from Another World

Okay so homework took all night so then I went to bed. So now I have… Thoughts.

I absolutely loved the paragraph, every moment of it. It’s so whimsical… But also grim. A fantastic juxtaposition of tones. I haven’t read the story, but I’m going to now. And it’s written beautifully.

So why do so many of the comments hate it? Well, I have a theory on that. While some of the comments touched on how times and conventions have changed since the story was written, I think there’s more to it than that. In this essay, I will explore the complexity of an opening paragraph and…

Okay. So this isn’t a formal essay, and I might throw out a few grammar conventions, but I do have a lot to say, so buckle up because you’re in for a ride. Just be forewarned this is all filtered through the ever subjective lens of my personal opinion.

First off I want to address “what makes a good opening paragraph,” and I want to say that… It’s not about following writing conventions, or hooking your reader in—most people will read at least your first chapter before they leave, anyways—or anything else that people will usually tell you.

No, what makes a good opening paragraph is how it sets up the pacing and tone for the rest of the story—be it a novel, series, or flashfic. For an example of something that did this extremely well, I present to you the opening paragraph of Brandon Sanderson’s The Way of Kings (mild spoilers ahead):

Kalak rounded a rocky stone ridge and stumbled to a stop before the body of a dying thunderclast. The enormous stone beast lay on its side, riblike protrusions from its chest broken and cracked. The monstrosity was vaguely skeletal in shape, with unnaturally long limbs that sprouted from granite shoulders. The eyes were deep red spots on the arrowhead face, as if created by a fire burning deep within the stone. They faded.

The pace—the rate at which information is delivered and in what order—of the paragraph matches the pace of the entire (technically I haven’t finished reading it, but I’m in the middle of Rhythm of War—the most recent installment—and it seems to hold out, and nobody I’ve spoken to who has finished it has reported a whacky pace change) rest of the series, and the tone—the way it makes you feel—lines up spectacularly as well. The paragraph promises a relatively slow story, but one that’s not going to stall out. While in the weaker parts it does, almost, stall, it picks up momentum again shortly thereafter. It promises there’s going to be an overarching sense of dread, too, and there is.

This is a story that sets about to make you ask yourself questions.

So that’s one example from a book I liked. How about one from a book I didn’t like?

Now I’m going to talk about The Hobbit. A lot of people can quote the opening sentence of this book—or even the whole paragraph. It’s iconic.

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy-smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

The next paragraph goes on to describe what a hobbit-hole is like, the third paragraph mentions the hobbit by name—Baggins—and talks about the Baggins family. Near the end of the fourth paragraph, after we’ve talked about the mother of the Baggins in question, and what, exactly, a hobbit is, we finally get more on the Baggins—Bilbo Baggins—the story will be about.

There’s a whimsical detachment in these paragraphs that has a unique way of hooking you in. Like it’s whispering “Come here, I’ve got a story for you. Oh, take a seat will you? This is a long one. This is a story to meander through with a friend. It might stall out, it might get distracted, but this is a humble telling of an extraordinary tale of long ago, and it will always come back to the little hobbit who did something completely, totally, entirely unexpected.”

You know what? That’s exactly what it is, too. When I read The Hobbit for the first time, I didn’t like that. I wanted a fast paced story about dragons and war and fire. Now, I’ve grown up a bit, and I might reread it soon here and we’ll see how that goes. I have a feeling I’ll enjoy it a bit more now that I understand how to appreciate a slow paced story (because yeah, that’s a skill we have to learn these days with all the media books are competing with).

For an example of a bad opening, I’ll present Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck.

A few miles south of Soledad, the Salinas River drops in close to the hillside bank and runs deep and green. The water is warm too, for it has slipped twinkling over the yellow sands in the sunlight before reaching the narrow pool. On one side of the river the golden foothill slopes curve up to the strong and rocky Gabilan Mountains, but on the valley side the water is lined with trees- willows fresh and green with every spring, carrying in their lower leaf junctures the debris of the winter’s flooding; and sycamores with mottled, white, recumbent limbs and branches that arch over the pool. On the sandy bank under the trees the leaves lie deep and so crisp that a lizard makes a great skittering if he runs among them. Rabbits come out of the brush to sit on the sand in the evening, and the damp flats are covered with the night tracks of 'coons, and with the spread pads of dogs from the ranches, and with the split-wedge tracks of deer that come to drink in the dark.

I apologize for the links, I don’t have a copy of this book, so I had to copy and paste it from the internet.

Anyways, this paragraph almost reads like it should be in first person, or some similarly close point of view, but when we finally meet the characters—two of them, having a conversation, if I recall correctly—they’re distant from us, as if we’re watching them from afar. Of Mice and Men is short, only 30,000 words. At least 15,000 of them are held up in descriptions like the one above—ones that boarder on the delicate line between flowery prose and purple prose, and often times step over it. This book promises a similar style story to The Hobbit, but with a subtle undertone of “please forgive me, I’ve never done this before”—which, if my memory serves, was not true of Steinbeck. Instead of having a steady, but slow pace, this story jolts forward every time Steinbeck pauses in his poetic descriptions. If you could sort through the descriptions for the actually story, what you’d have was a break-neck paced short story.

For that reason, this is a bad opening paragraph.

So now let’s double back to Who Goes There?

Here’s the paragraph from that one:

The place stank. A queer, mingled stench that only the ice­buried cabins of an Antarctic camp know, compounded of reeking human sweat, and the heavy, fish­oil stench of melted seal blubber. An overtone of liniment combated the musty smell of sweat­and­snow­drenched furs. The acrid odor of burnt cooking fat, and the animal, not­unpleasant smell of dogs, diluted by time, hung in the air. Lingering odors of machine oil contrasted sharply with the taint of harness dressing and leather. Yet somehow, through all that reek of human beings and their associates ­ dogs, machines and cooking ­ came another taint. It was a queer, neck­ruffling thing, a faintest suggestion of an odor alien among the smells of industry and life. And it was a life­smell. But it came from the thing that lay bound with cord and tarpaulin on the table, dripping slowly, methodically onto the heavy planks, dank and gaunt under the unshielded glare of the electric light.

This promises a similar story to The Hobbit, as well, but it’s written much, much better than Of Mice and Men. As of yet, I haven’t read the whole story, but when—in the very next paragraph—a character is introduced, it seems to be the kind of story I would expect.

The kind to meander through by firelight, with forgotten histories in mind.

Basically, I think the people in the comments on Wattpad were made by people who haven’t really developed the capacity to appreciate slower paces yet, and who are also looking at it through the lens of, well, Wattpad. I don’t think any of the above works could ever do well on Wattpad, or any platform like it, because they’re not the kind of stories the people those platforms attract want to read.

2 Likes

Straight from a PDF for teaching speedreading:

The PDF it comes from:

Look, they’re reading on Wattpad, so they CAN read. And I’ve noticed when I’m editing that a slower read of my own writing (especially since it’s something I’ve read a dozen times) plain sucks to me because I’m BORED. I’m not bored with my own stories, usually (otherwise I wouldn’t have written it). And comprehension goes out the window when my kids are acting up, or there’s too much noise. I don’t enjoy reading or writing under those circumstances.

This is just to point out that some people will not be able to ever cross that barrier where they learn to enjoy writing outside their beloved genre because they don’t have a rapid-fire anything. That’s not just maturity, there.

( And I don’t necessarily find that superior because when you do jump to conclusions quickly, you can tend towards rash reactions. (It’s all interrelated.))

1 Like

I didn’t mean to suggest they were immature, I’m sorry if I came across that way, I didn’t mean to suggest they were wrong or inferior for not liking it, either, and I especially didn’t mean to suggest they can’t read, just that what they like to read is different from the paragraph they were presented. Upon rereading, however, that’s not what I said.

This sentence:

Was, to put it simply, not my brightest moment. Yes, I jumped to conclusions I should not have. What I was trying to say there was just that the kind of I’d expect Who Goes There? to be is different from the kind that typically does well on Wattpad and similar platforms, not that either was superior to the other.

If I came off sounding like an attack on boredom or enjoying fast paced stories or something, I’m sorry.

I’m really not sure how I feel about this paragraph. While yes, the faster you read, the more you read… I can’t really agree with anything else because I, personally, read painfully slowly. I’m dyslexic, so every word I read is a struggle. Some days it’s fine, and some I can’t read at all, but most days it’s just hard and really slow. That said, according to every assessment I’ve ever taken (most of which… I’m not sure how I feel about their accuracy), my comprehension is off the charts, and I never would have started writing if I didn’t like reading. So while it may be the case some times, or even most times, it’s not universally true, which is how the paragraph reads to me.

2 Likes

Nor did I say you did.

The assumption that responses having caveats are for your wording choices instead of leashing my own is a byproduct of not being able to read minds.

1 Like

It’s statistical. That’s why they have papers on it and are hauling that in to hammer on improving reading speed and comprehension. There’s always outliers. I’d go to the source and see how strong the correlation is, and argue any point you want, from there. You might even disagree with their conclusion if the difference is less than, oh, 15%?

For me, the boring is much more an issue because of ADHD making everything hard to sit through if it’s not fast enough to immerse me. You don’t give my brain time to wander if you want comprehension out of it. So the speed of my reading really affects my ability to stay on task.

I can do it. I can completely still do it, as I repeatedly prove to myself. But I don’t handle it patiently when I’m that far off focus and still trying to do work.

1 Like

I don’t think any writer writes something they personally find not gripping. But you can’t say that a text being “gripping” is something objective. Specific details of the text—word count, vocabulary level, paragraph length, topic—are objective: nobody can deny that 1984 is a denser book than Harry Potter and requires more attention and stamina to read. Clearly there are people writing stories out there that you don’t find personally gripping, just as there are people writing stories out there that I don’t find personally gripping. But there is no “collective we” that dictates these preferences. If we all got together as a forum to rank the opening paragraphs of various novels in order of preference, that’s creating a consensus, but it holds no more valid claim of being objective fact than if I went to an English class at Yale and asked everyone to do the same. “Trying” implies that these writers are attempting and failing to reach this objective standard, when the truth is that there is none.

I agree completely, and I think it’s useful to not conflate “popular” and “well-regarded,” or at least define what “popular” means. Popular across the entire population of those who read literature in English? Popular among the literary circles that are writing these book reviews? A book can be a critical success and not fly off the shelves (and in this case the author’s probably making a fair amount of money anyway), and I imagine it’s a nice feeling having a bunch of people who’ve dedicated their whole lives to literature saying your book passes muster. “Who Goes There?” is popular by one of these definitions—it’s certainly well-regarded among the critics—but if your only metric of popularity is a little ranking that says “#2 in aardvark” or whatever, you have to understand that’s a very subjective, narrow definition.

I admittedly disagree with you on the second point. Someone offers me a few million dollars? Heck yeah, I’d write whatever smut they want. I can’t guarantee it would be good. But as much as I value craft in writing, there’s a sufficient amount of Benjamins which would override that.

I agree with this, but I also think that Of Mice And Men passes this bar too. I view it as a story meant to present a bucolic, meandering, laid-back experience of what George and Lenny are up to. It could have been a breakneck story, but Steinbeck wanted it to not be that, to be something where we viewed the characters from a bit of a distance. This is something he had control over as the author. Would it have been a faster read if Steinbeck got to the point? Sure, a lot of stories could have. But just because a story could have been told from a closer perspective, doesn’t mean it had to be. As much as there’s a plausible rewrite of Of Mice And Men that is told as an even shorter story, it would be one with a different (albeit still valid) authorial purpose, like one would have if another book—let’s say One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest—were expanded out into something else. They would be cousins, not identical twins.

What does speedreading have to do with it? Some people might be impatient and not want to read a novel that takes them too long to read (perhaps they only have so much time to read per day), but how fast the words physically move across our eyes is a tiny part of how people choose what they read. Comprehension goes hand-in-hand with that, admittedly—a less adept reader might be able to read a more difficult passage with time spent someone else wouldn’t need—but this isn’t the only hang-up. Some people also may have learning disabilities that impede their ability to read longer passages—but this clearly isn’t everyone who has gripes with this style of literature.

One can’t judge Wattpad’s reading level as a whole, but even beyond a dislike for longer sentences and paragraphs that might play into it, the preponderance of comments you’ll see on some books criticizing the vocabulary as being conceited, for instance people using words like “preponderance” and “conceited,” might be some indication that the average level is below what it might take to read “Who Goes There?” without strain. The examples an extremely experienced reader would point to as “purple” or otherwise needlessly difficult are different than the ones someone whose idea of a roadblock is the word “preponderance” would suggest. It’s the reason why English classes teach reading comprehension strategies so rigorously: people tend to enjoy more books they don’t struggle to read. Being able to read isn’t a binary of can or cannot.

1 Like

Ok, so the caveat does what to what you and I wrote? We’re going to be arguing past each other from about this point on if we don’t watch it.

Was there anything I placed up there where I made the case for it being the sole or main factor? I don’t think I did.

I DID choose a source that sold it heavily, but then given that it was a PDF for pushing a curriculum, it should have come with a huge honking grain of salt which is why I explained what the source was. Maybe next time I’ll make it have bells and whistles to make sure it’s Captain Obvious.

I could have sworn I’ve not hidden the concept of mistrusting sources that are selling what they are reporting on, somewhere up on these forums before. It’s the same reason why I’ve said that people should try writing the in genres they hate. A healthy dose of skepticism is good for the brain.

The only reason I chose the source is because me just saying that some people will never be able to handle long prose is exactly the type of snobbishness I’ve been grumbling about. There are studies that show it’s an issue. That’s all.

Think about it, I was only specifically responding about those who haven’t learned to appreciate a bigger read. I never gave a number on how many of them won’t hang.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not saying the style is inherently wrong, and fantastic if you liked the book! I really wanted to, but I just couldn’t. I probably wouldn’t have finished it if I hadn’t had to for school…

Anyways- What I’m saying is that I felt it was executed poorly in the case of Of Mice And Men. It didn’t work for me. I’m seriously jealous of anybody it did work for, though. I wanted to like that book so badly-

2 Likes

I hated Mice & Men too, although I’m glad it was written so that so many awesome cartoons could parody it. I hated every Steinbeck novel I ever read except The Pearl. He had a way of making his characters so unlikable and his stories plod along, even when they actually had interesting plots.

1 Like

I liked the atmosphere of Cannery Row, can’t say much else about it, though.

And metrics of popularity are…odd, especially when you take a more global view. Overlord has the simplest prose I’ve read in any published work, simpler and more direct than a lot of YA novels. But I highly doubt that the story is aimed at the same people who read A Court of Thorns and Roses. It’s a big name in the light novel community and got an excellent anime adaptation but few people outside of those circles even know about it.

How many “popular” books are only “popular” because of bookweb? And how many of those same books will be forgotten by next year or sooner?

2 Likes

This breaks my heart! Steinbeck takes up a significant percentage of my bookshelf. His writing saved my life, there’s a certain feeling his stories have that I haven’t found anywhere else. They make me want to travel and they make me want to be kinder to other people because they delve so deeply into troubled lives. I love Steinbeck’s work. To A God Unknown, East of Eden, Of Mice and Men, Tortilla Flat…his writing transports me into his stories in a way no other author has accomplished for me.

2 Likes

You prove the point that not every book is for every one

1 Like

There is. If you wrote a best seller in publishing industry or get easy natural, ever growing views on Wattpad, you wrote a gripping story. Gripping is the standard. It means people can understand it, and can’t put it down.

3 Likes

Are you saying “Do or do not, there is no try?”

I do find it funny that when people are dared to write a romance novel, they go to their worst fears as if their attempt would be as awful. Twilight/50 Lampshades made it big, yeah, but Georgeette Heyer AIN’T no toilet writer. You CAN write romance without sacrificing yourself.

The whole point to challenging yourself isn’t a wholesale sacrifice.

Just from passing convos, the only person in this convo who I know has written across genres is @DomiSotto.

No one else.

As far as I can tell, from that, is that it’s a bunch of 1 Trick Ponies telling a Jack of All Trades to become a 1 Trick Pony every time they go at it, on this subject.

That part gives me Whittaker eye.

And it’s also why I want to get back to my dang fantasy writing. I’m too immersed on one genre right now.

3 Likes

Most of the ideas I can come up with involve strange beasts and magic. :man_shrugging: I do my best to differentiate the worlds, though.

2 Likes

I’ve got like 4 or more half-assed stories with elves, nothing alike.

That’s WITH a backlog of novel sentient species.

The spouse swiped my DragonSpider, though. I’m like “whatevs” because the last time I tooled with him he was a teacher at a mage’s school and couldn’t fit into a regular classroom and was dangerous to cross while molting. Play away, babe, play away.

2 Likes

Nah, try, try and try again. Also, keep your eyes on the target. There is no forbidding anyone to write anything, but there is also no forcing or shaming people into reading stuff they no longer find readible like back in 1970s. Entertainment evolved a great deal since then. Life had changed. Yes, people would still read classics because it is time-honored. But they won’t be specifically looking for something that copy-cats classics. They would look for books that organically belongs to their world, speak to their sense of time, respect their entertainment needs.

2 Likes

Eh, I really lean toward adventure/romance with different window-dressing. I wrote one pure romance and I tried mystery a couple of times and couldn’t do it.

1 Like

On the topic of being a writer that posts across genres, I write Fanfic, Romance, Horror, Mystery/Thriller, Paranormal (Vampire and Werewolf), Historical Fiction, Science Fiction, Short Story, and Poetry. I also write various subgenres in my fanfics. Some of those genres mentioned are on my to-be-write list.

2 Likes