This core, that core, and academia? Too much labeling or nah?

You should make it a full joke because Iron Maiden is British!

1 Like

the balletcore discussion above made me thibk of something so i just want to add that it’s likely (imo) that some of these '-core’s, especially ones centered around more elite subjects like ballet, probably have roots in a desire to participate in that culture without the ability to.

You have to be able bodied to be a ballerina. You have to be able to afford pointe shoes and tutus and training. But you don’t need that to order a cheap pair of flats off Wish and put your hair in a bun. And that can be applied to a lot of things. Like actually living in a cottage in the woods, or idk, dressage, victorian era living, basketball. A lot of stuff.

It’s not wrong or silly to make something you enjoy into an aesthetic, especially if that thing is something you wouldn’t be able to participate in otherwise. (And it’s also not wrong or silly to enjoy an aesthetic purely for the sake of the aesthetic. It’s not hurting anyone.)

2 Likes

figures, it was 50/50 to land on the right side with that war imagery. the art style reminds me of american traditional tattoos.

1 Like

I can see the similarities.

1 Like

I wasn’t looking to nitpick, I was just giving the summary of important and relevant details to the conversation. I feel like you’re trying to start an argument by being right about something when I already knew this information, it just wasn’t relevant or necessary information to what I was saying.

In Loony Tunes, Bugs called Elmer Nimrod specifically because he was trying to wax poetic about the hunter aspect. Anything else about Nimrod was not relevant at the time of the joke, nor is it now. Whether Nimrod actually was an moron in the stories is mere speculation. What matters in the cultural shift in the meaning of the word is that so many people misunderstood the joke. If some people find he fits the new definition, that’s just a convenient coincidence and has no impact on why the definition of the word changed.

I don’t care to go into a deep analysis on the biblical story of Nimrod or how the Bible is actually a collection of books and not a single book itself. I grew up having Christian religion shoved down my throat. I know the bible. I’m familiar with it. I have no desire to debate it. You aren’t teaching me anything new by trying to redirect the topic to it. My intention was to explain the cultural change in the definition of a single word, not to go digging into the contradicting doctrine and flawed logic of the Bible, which is exactly where this conversation would go if I were to address anything you replied to me with. I’d rather avoid getting banned from the forums for arguing about religion. When I brought up the Bible, it was in a purely literary context, not in a religious one. Like I said, I do not want to get into that topic.

2 Likes

It was simply expansion on my part. Nothing more.

1 Like

It’s always nice when you come up with a name for a charactwr or fictional city or something, look up the made up word, and find it has meaning that is relevant to the story. For me, when I chose my MC’s name, I just thought it sounded good, but when I looked up the roots of the name it said:

“The name Alma is both a boy’s name and a girl’s name of Latin origin meaning “nurturing, soul”.” - Alma - Baby Name Meaning, Origin, and Popularity | Nameberry

Since he’s an A.I. with a “soul”, so to speak, trying to nurture that same personhood in others of his kind, it fits perfectly.

2 Likes

That wasn’t supposed to post I’m sorry I’ll leave until I can get some sleep in me.

1 Like

I think it can be too much, but then again, if someone identifies with it–who am I to say it shouldn’t exist?

Gotta say, weirdcore and cottagecore are my favorites, lmao. There’s also ‘gorecore’ which… hit or miss, but mostly hit.

2 Likes

Nobody has made a core for whatever Powerwolf’s aesthetic is, though, which infuriates me.

1 Like

That’s a crime that needs to be remedied.

2 Likes

Bestiacore? Thrashcore? Mhm. This is a tough one.

1 Like

There’s a heavy metal culture or aesthetic, though, eh…? There must be, since I can picture what fans and bands would wear. It’s all about leather, tattoos, Harleys, heavy drinking, jackboots, etc. ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

1 Like

But there’s also a medieval twist to it. I mean, there’s a werewolf. And castles. Combined with metal. Swords, shields, arrows. Those qualities alone are deserving of its own ‘core’.

2 Likes

My take on labels, from everything to -core to music genres to sexuality/gender labels, is that they’re amazing if you want them, but you don’t need them.

When it comes to finding inspiration on Pinterest, aesthetics make it easy to pinpoint what I want. Faepunk is different from gremlincore which is different from crowcore which is different from witchcore and etc. It works really well for me because I can narrow down what I want. I’ve always liked sorting and labelling and classifying things. I’ve also been fascinated by how different combinations of things can be changed by swapping out an element or two. So for me, untangling the web of aesthetics and -cores is really soothing for me. But at the same time, by no means do people need to live by this!! Take it or leave it, do what makes you feel happier.

In terms of music taste or dress aesthetic, knowing aesthetics can also make it easier to find similar things. It’s all connected, and if I know one niche I like, I can branch out and find others from there. It’s a starting point. It makes it easier for me to navigate things, too, because I can take it one step at a time and learn about them individually.

Even with gender and sexuality—I like microlabels because that means I’m not alone in my experiences. Communities form from shared experiences and shared struggles a lot of the time. This is a common experience for bi people, this is a common experience for ace people, this is a common experience for demiromantic people. It’s safer for me. It’s not as lonely. There’s nothing wrong with not using labels, of course, I just like having them.

For some people labels mean being shoved into a box, and it’s totally valid to not want to use them, but labels can also mean a lot. Labelling and not labelling are both okay. Just don’t disrespect either side.

6 Likes

Yeah, I’m getting tired of all the labelling, even for sexualitites. Don’t get me wrong, I understand why some people might want to label these things, but personally labelling just isn’t for me. I had a conversation with my friend a while back, talking about how I was questioning but didn’t want to label my sexuality.
And I also don’t get why someone needs me to label what the specific aesthetic of my book is. Like… can’t this be done in other ways? With an actual image, perhaps, a collage, like it has been done for a while? Or maybe… idk, comp titles - since that’s what they were meant for in the first place?
And it’s overwhelming how many labels there are, now.

3 Likes

And they are also Catholic.

If your favorite Disney song is Hellfire, you’ll love this band.

1 Like

What the heck is this? XD

2 Likes

It’s so cool when that happens, isn’t it? :grin: Like magic.

2 Likes

Oh no :scream: There’s more of them? They’ve begun to rule the world! XD

It’s like new Pokémon coming out. Just can’t keep up :sweat_smile:

I bet there’s a core that’s a combinationcore. Like, weird-cottagecore or something.

This :point_up:

2 Likes