Venting stories?

:open_mouth:

!!!

1 Like

well, okay, a Venting Book is a little different then turning something you’re upset/emotional about into a story.

1 Like

Mindblowing I know

1 Like

I do this but the other way around. It starts as a normal story and then I’m writing things that are from my life / thoughts from my brain. My characters are generally more emotive than I am.

3 Likes

Interesting :open_mouth:

2 Likes

I mean, I did accidentally write hospital related stuff into this story I’m working on and liek hasn’t there been a lot of hospital related stuff in my life in recent months?

It finds its own way out.

2 Likes

if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck… :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I am responding to what you put into the post. If you want to discuss a specific plot line/book summary/idea, then I would respond to that. You almost always show the same thing about your stories, barely a ‘what if’. It is hard to make any kind of determination based on that. Feels wise, I don’t really see vents as a creative powerhouse. That’s all.

3 Likes

a venting book does not walk or quack like a story you wrote as a vent. they’re completely different. A venting book is just basically a diary, there aren’t any real characters or arcs or plot, it’s literally just talking about things that upset you and maybe some other people read it and have opinions too.

a story that you vent into requires actual… story. fictional story. like when writers joke about writing in people they don’t like as unfavourable side characters, that’s venting through a story.

3 Likes

Yeah, fair enough but I use what ifs to build off a potential idea. My brain works better creatively when it’s not backed into a corner. I’m not gonna write everything that I come up with, probably. Some ideas aren’t worth it in the end when it comes to the Churroverse lore.

I wasn’t talking about writing an actual vent book through. I was talking about venting through a story and using things that annoy you as creative fuel. I don’t really care much for writing a vent book per-se.

2 Likes

I still think that to become a story story, it has to move a few steps beyond vent, because vent/rant is a monotonous, repetitive thing without an inner driver or growth. And a story idea has to have that, the way to resolution, from the seed.

4 Likes

Not entire stories, but I have let some of my strong ideas about things slip into characters and appear as slightly passionate scenes.

3 Likes

That’s fair enough. You can turn a rant into a story. You can use the rant as a fuel and expand it though.

2 Likes

No… still don’t think so. It just doesn’t feel like something that can carry a longer form. Short story or flash fiction, at best.

1 Like

maybe we have different understandings of vent. i see you’re using the term rant, which implies anger/frustration/annoyance ect. but a vent doesn’t have to be a rant. it’s just an expression of a build-up of any emotion. It might be true that vents about monotonous small annoyances are the most common way we see them being used on the interent but that does not mean that’s all they are, they can be very expressive and spark very passionate literature and media. I think it’s more common to see venting more ‘purely’ in art or poetry because once you get into longer formats or formats that require stricter structure there’s usually more editing between the original product and the presentation to an audience. but you can still get a lot from a vent.

also not all stories need resolution. like, half the point of a vignette is not having a resolution.

3 Likes

I didn’t originally but then somehow my frustrations from college slithered their way into my novel… OOPS!

3 Likes