Watty 2022 is here

this is kinda weird because I have a book thats technically urban fantasy. But I’ve written it in a series where the books can be read in any order. The WIP one is the one which is most fantasy because of world building. The one I have ready to submit is more paranormal. But it’s also a romance book.
So I’m like: Wildcard it? Or fantasy because it’s technically a fantasy world. But also paranormal and also romance.

I also don’t want to just throw it in wildcard because it’s probably going to be saturated, and also it just feels like I don’t know my book if I do that. But it’s such a hybrid it could by wildcard.

They also don’t mention urban fantasy in their definition of fantasy

3 Likes

What this category does in practical terms is capture general fiction above NA age and serves as an overflow when they have a lot of books they like in more popular category.

3 Likes

No, and the amount of submissions for fantasy is astronomical, so it’s either paranormal or wild card. I am also trying to decide for Lone Werewolf.

2 Likes

Yeah, same. Instead of them assuming.

2 Likes

✧・゚: * ✧・゚:* We hear you. We see you. We feel you. We love you. We’re here for you. You are never alone when you’re here. ✧・゚: *✧・゚: *

5 Likes

:joy: Thanks, Wisp.

4 Likes

ugh it’s just so hard! I wish there was just a little more of a variation. I guess mine could also be new adult because thats the ages of my characters but that makes it even harder. Ridiculous ugh

2 Likes

I wanna enter Lio, but I can’t find 12k for that.

2 Likes

Yeah, I feel like it’s going to be one of those categories you don’t want to touch as it’s most likely going to be 90% junk that doesn’t belong there either because they don’t care to put it in the right category or they think it’ll work out better for them in terms of views or whatever.

I don’t know my main issue is that it’s not an actual genre and we’ve always been told to find out the actual genre of books and now their throwing this to the wind.

5 Likes

One thing I will say I’m happy about is the fact that Thrillers are actually listed. I’d rather have it as it’s own category and not combined with Mystery but at least it’s there.

3 Likes

Geez are they trying to have as many winners as possible ;-;

2 Likes

Until they give an award for worst book ever, I doubt it’s going to be too many. Lmao

2 Likes

So true :joy:

1 Like

I’d almost go for it, if I could. The words of every sentence might spell out “Manos the Hands of Fate”, if I could get away with that…

2 Likes

Yes, mine can also be YA/NA. Thematically it is coming-of-age, but it has werewolves and sci-fi tech and visions of ancient magic. So, if I say submit it to YA where they want girls spilling coffee over bad boys by the lockers, or NA where they want average girls growing into self-sufficient women in a modern city, it just makes no sense. Speculative element just overshadows both the romance and the coming-of-age. The audience who comes for rom or COA is going to take one look at the tile, Lone Werewolf and check out.

But since YA is the only way to get a book deal… maybe it makes sense to enter as YA.

3 Likes

I think it is mostly Thrillers. Wattpad has very few true whodunnit solid mysteries. I actually plan to enter Raised by the Mafia as a Thriller. Since action/adventure doesn’t exist….

1 Like

(rolls up editing sleeves)

I’m excited!

1 Like

Ahh, they shortened the window. Well, at least I edited my story already. The problem is I do a weekly weekend single-chapter upload. I might have to start uploading two a week to get it in time :confused:

Also was hoping to shove another story into the Wattys but I don’t think I’ll have time to edit that one :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I guess I could do a romance.

I have two stories to enter! Both of which are already completed, so I don’t feel too stressed about the new timeline.

SLB will get an edit before being submitted into NA (or is it YA? I struggle with categorizing it since the character are age-wise just on the cusp) and Sweet Tea will be submitted as is (even though it needs an edit, perhaps I will do that next year) into Romance I think (or NA? Characters are 26 and 28 which I guess technically qualify).

I will definitely work on the longlines and summaries as my impression is that these matter a lot to make it past the first culling.

1 Like