Weird Question Time: What is a genre that you would read, but never actually write?

Hooray! Someone else I can agree with!

Yeah, those arenā€™t really easy genres either to write.
Still, it is great to know that you enjoy getting wrapped up in the worlds of those genres.

:grin:

Classics, because Iā€™d have to go back in time :grin:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s understandable. LOL!

I donā€™t actually know if I have one. I write and read in many various genres, and while there are some I may not write simply because I donā€™t think Iā€™d do it justice (historical fiction, Iā€™m looking at you), I think there isnā€™t a genre I wouldnā€™t write (that I read) just because I donā€™t want to write it.

Maybeā€¦ non-fiction? And even I wouldnā€™t mind trying to take a crack at it. :sweat_smile: I like reading non-fiction, specifically memoirs and self-help books (or a combination of both, technically, like Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachael Hollis), but I may never write oneā€¦ in a matter of speaking. I actually have, but I donā€™t have it saved anymore and deleted it off Wattpad years ago. And even then, I donā€™t think of it as a memoir.

Memoirs are a whole other thing because they involve family and people you know in real life and thatā€™s something I donā€™t have the capability of truly sharing. But Iā€™ve had an interesting life despite how boring it may be, so itā€™s worthwhile to put it in a book. The closest would be to create a fictional book with actual experiences and situations Iā€™ve had so it would be like a memoir but fictionalized. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

contemporary, i donā€™t know how to write people just dealing with normal everyday stuff like dating and arguing with parents for a whole book. i read a bit of it though, thereā€™s probably more contemporary on my shelves than i care to recall.

1 Like

Thisā€¦ALL OF THIS!!!

1 Like

I donā€™t really blame you for feeling that way when it comes to writing contemporary fiction.
The genre itself seems so boring to me personally whether it comes to reading and writing. I need some type of escapism in my dull dreary life.

1 Like

Human drama set in a certain place or historical fiction. I love reading it. Recently read A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. It was a 5-star book for me.

Anyway, I would try to write those genres, but it always turns into a fantasy. I canā€™t not make it magical. In other words, I donā€™t want to bother with doing research to be historically or geographically accurate :stuck_out_tongue:

Itā€™s why I created New Sollei, a fictional state near California because I couldnā€™t bother familiarizing myself with California XD

1 Like

see, i can totally see where the escapism comes in for some people. especially certain types, such as contemporary ya romance, where the mc is representative of the target audience (ex. teenage girls) and has identifiable struggles and desires and in the end gets those desires met.

Iā€™ve also read my fair share of great contemporary novels. Or at least, contemporary novels that i consider great. iā€™ve read Kindness for Weakness at least 3 times and would read it again.

i just donā€™t think i could write something both interesting and realistic in contemporary. i need a little bit of wiggle room lol

1 Like

Mystery, specifically historic mystery. Love them very much, canā€™t write them.

2 Likes

Historic Mystery, huh?
Sounds challenging even to me. LOL!

2 Likes

Iā€™d say epic fantasy. World building is just too much for me.

2 Likes

So, you rather read epic fantasy rather than write it?

1 Like

Writing spoof ones is easier. You can give real advice in it, but youā€™re making crap up as you go without worrying about how good the recommendations are

2 Likes

i do not understand the last half of that.

1 Like

ā€œHow to Train an Orangutan to speak Egyptianā€

Give real advice on decoding hieroglyphs, fake advice on what ā€œook ook eekā€ and ā€œeek eek ookā€ means, and how to relate the two together. Borrow heavily from Coco the Gorilla for realism, but otherwise just make stuff up that sounds funny.

We got from my youngest brother, a how to care for babies written as a man selling manly thing, so some of the advice was sound enough but some of it was off because it was a spoof and not meant to be serious.

2 Likes

mmm, okay.

i think that i will continue to not write contemporary. no orangutans 4 me

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s definitely not for everyone.

3 Likes

Yep.

2 Likes