What Are YOUR Aspirations as a Writer?

Could you elaborate on this point? I don’t think I understand what you mean.

1 Like

Yep, it seems this is a big issue for many writers.

Would you agree that those three are feeding each other in a sense? For example, if you were to stop worrying about making the story perfect, you would write faster. Hit one and the rest will fall.

2 Likes

I think it was the realization that even when I work to make my book better, it will always be limited by what I’m capable of doing at that moment. Which leads me to want to just practice writing with another book in hopes I’ll get better at writing, and then my self-doubt kind of left me stuck in that loop. I also think it’s the result of perfectionism.

That is fair! I do think if I could work on trusting myself more, I would be much happier with my writing! I know I’ve been getting better, but it’s certainly a struggle to feel like it sometimes.

2 Likes

All the best with your retirement! Self-pub isn’t all that bad if you have the means to do so, but I too am a fan of traditional.
What would you say is indicative of a book being commercially promising?

2 Likes

Nothing is hindering me! I’ve been writing it every day!

3 Likes

Personally, I’ve been considering writing two books at once to counter this. Have one to write as practice and the other for publishing, or just write both for publishing. Many authors do this to maintain their creativity and such.

So long as you are progressing each day, even if it’s by a seemingly menial amount, it is enough.

That’s awesome. Keep it up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I used to write 2 books at a time! And that was back when I had motivation for revising. Maybe it’s just coincidence, but it might work out.

3 Likes

How much do you read? I’ve found that when I read more, I have a greater desire to write.

4 Likes

Certainly not enough! I bought a good stack of books that I’ve been trying to get through for the last few months, but they’re really just not doing it for me rn. But I don’t want to buy more until I’ve read them so the money wasn’t wasted xD so I’m going to keep reading a chapter or few a day.

4 Likes

And yet, I don’t want to write full time because it would mean giving up on design, which is my other passion. Perhaps part time work would be good for me

Oh totally. I struggle with writing faster because I can’t truly let go of the voice in my head telling me that my character work is bad, or my world isn’t immersive enough or more recently, my prose itself is terrible. (Since I talked to some friends and realised my characters are fine and I can add world stuff later)
I also have weird insecurities about editing because I have never seriously edited a book, only done failed rewrites.
But the more I just force myself to ignore these insecurities and write, the quieter the voice in my head about these gets, and the more I can write. By just forcing myself to write regularly, I got from writing 500 words a day to 1200 words a day on average in a month. So for me, the method to my madness has always been pushing through everything, including writing blocks, if you have time. Since this method works so marvellously for me, I don’t truly believe in writing blocks, either. But I know there’s still a lot of work to be done on my story, and I want to put it in to make it shine

4 Likes

If we (in general) knew how much work it is, no one would try. It’s looking at 8 flights of stairs from the ground floor. Why do you think I’m not a serious writer? I don’t like stairs. Lmao

But in all seriousness, you find yourself 4 flights for stairs up, you’re going to have to climb up or climb down. There comes a point where giving up is not an option. If I ever reach that, I’m afraid I will have to take this seriously.

4 Likes

=gripping. Character with conflict. Growing plot conflict from page one. People want to know what happens next desperately. Easy to understand what is going on, who and where.

2 Likes

To turn all my garbage into even more hot, steaming garbage as a TV show.

1 Like

This is true. In so many aspects of my life, I’ve done this. Even with “stupid” things like ballet and stuff as a kid, I would give up. Writing has always just been something I havent given up on. Taken 3 year long breaks? Yes! Given up? No XD

It really is scary. Even now, I’m staring my goal in my face and I’m sitting here every day like “what if it doesn’t take off?” “what if I make no money?” “what if they hate all my other books and refuse me for anything ever again?”
But then it’s just a case of continuing on and not giving up. Life is scary :joy:

5 Likes

I just want my stories to reach people and for people fo enjoy them. It would also be nice if I could make enough money to live on by doing that. I don’t care as much about how those goals are met, but becoming a published author sounds like the most feasible way to accomplish it.

3 Likes

It wouldn’t be real if it was anything else. It’s why we hate Mary Sues and write them.

3 Likes

Apparently, I’m a recognition whore. I aspire to have my stories acknowledged for being halfway decent and engaging for readers.

Rn I just entered limboland on one of them I’m pretty sure I’ll be crying buckets into a bathtub of ice cream if it gets passed on.

3 Likes

I am half-way through my bucket, so I can share.

2 Likes

Ideally I want to:

• write brilliant litfic/upmarket fiction like my fave writers
• figure out how to get a book in front of an influencer
• watch my books go viral, while my Amazon dashboard lights up with sales

My greatest frustration is that none of this has happened yet. ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

3 Likes

Honestly, I don’t really have any aspirations as an author. I just really enjoy writing. The only reason I’m planning to publish is because people keep asking me when I’m gonna do it and I want them all to shut up :joy: But I am looking into starting my own editing company. Got the details and all sorted, just need to start it

2 Likes