What Are YOUR Aspirations as a Writer?

I want to become an indie-published author. But first I need to find the best routine for my writing. Considering if I want to publish LGTB+ English books, I probably have to travel to England a lot. Most of my country is more open to Norwegian published authors.

3 Likes

Wattpad changing the story stats so now I have no idea how many reads each story gets anymore is not helping.

2 Likes

My aspirations are all long-term.

First, I want to finish what I’m working on which is book 1 of a series. I’d like to finish a draft of each book before I proceed.
But then once I’m more confident in what story I’m telling in the series as a whole, I’d love to publish book 1 in print, and then the others.

I’m unlikely to pursue agent/ traditional publishing. I might pitch it to a few small publishers just in case if there’s interest in it. But if all else fails, I’ll self-publish the full series.

It could be many years before this happens. I need my dayjob and this leaves me very little time to work on my projects.

In the meantime, I’ll keep writing.

I don’t know yet how much of my writing I’ll continue posting online for free. I might stop eventually, especially when getting closer to my publishing goal. My fanfics and some short stories will stay where they are, but long-form I’d like to get paid for eventually, whatever form that takes.

I don’t expect quick money. I’m quite skeptical about how much I can earn as a writer which is why I need to keep my day job.
But it would be nice to get enough backlog to retire early. We’ll see if that becomes possible.

2 Likes

Is there anything you feel is holding you back from making those things happen?

That sounds awesome, all the best with it!

4 Likes

For the time being writing is just a hobby I would like to someday make a career if not a part-time career. There’s an appeal in self-pub esp but I find I lean more towards the Trad pub route. It’s prolly cause I don’t like work but hey sometimes self-pub is the way to go if things just don’t work out for ya xD

First I gotta actually clear my writer’s block somehow and start getting back into writing.

2 Likes

Nope, just luck. I think it was the writer Ryoki Inoue, author of 1075 books, who said “The secret of the creative process is 98% sweat, 1% talent, and 1% luck.” (>‿◠):v:

2 Likes

My biggest dream is to do it professionally, to make a living out of it, though for now, it’s just a hobby

Maybe in the past, but these days, I’d honestly avoid traditional publishing overall, but that’s just me. If I got into specifics, it’d likely turn into a rant about “how traditional publishing lacks soul in our day and age,” so I’ll leave it at that.

This is generally my end path. I want to write what I would like. I know my likes are probably things very few others would enjoy, but I’ve long accepted that and only intend to write for my own selfish ends, which is for myself and nobody else.

Barring my abysmal self-confidence about my abilities, I have a bad habit of slacking off for extended periods of time, and this doesn’t just apply to writing, but all my hobbies.

3 Likes

I mean I guess I technically have already achieved my main aspiration, which is to write full-time. But I’d like to be doing it because I’m actually successful enough to and not because I’m lucky enough my partner’s income makes it possible :joy:

Biggest frustration? Marketing sucks. And my life likes to destroy any semblance of consistency and progress I manage to get going. Every time.

4 Likes

As of now, I intend to mainly be a hobbyist writer. I write mainly for enjoyment, and if I make it a full-time—or even part-time—thing, then it might take the fun out of it for me. I’ll stick to writing on Word documents or free websites :joy:

But, I do plan to publish at least one book, hopefully traditionally. I’ve worked so hard on this craft and I’d love to see it pay off in the form of a published book.

3 Likes

Write as a hobby. It makes me happy and share my writing with friends.

2 Likes

I think it would be nice to be able to write full-time as a published author, but for right now it’s just a hobby that I am enjoying. Right now my biggest frustrations is just being able to sit down and focus on writing. Instead my brain is all over the place. Like right now, I sat down to write and I somehow ended up here lol.

2 Likes

I just want to finish a thing.

Just one thing.

2 Likes

me too… i struggle with that.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.