What do you do when you can't read? ❌ 🤓

Yeah, but I haven’t finished reading it.

2 Likes

Okay well I don’t know if they’re to your taste but uhh:

Box Hill by Adam Mars-Jones
A young man falls in love with a leather biker daddy in 1970s England. Kinda funny, kinda heartbreaking but also kinda hot.

Small Things Like These by Claire Keegan
It’s Christmas in an Irish town, and a man encounters a young mother trying to flee from the local convent. It’s light and tender (best enjoyed on a rainy afternoon with hot chocolate).

Boulder by Eva Baltasar
Tension arises between a lesbian couple; Samsa wants a child, but the narrator is against it. It’s breathless and poetic, the best book I’ve read this year so far.

Grief Is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter
A grieving family is visited by a crow who becomes a companion to their pain. It’s written in a mix of verse and prose. I haven’t read this one yet but I’ve heard good things.

Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto
Like ten pages over 150. It’s actually two stories, the first about a girl who loses her family and moves in with a transgender mother and her child. The second about a girl who loses her boyfriend in an accident and develops a friendship with the boyfriend’s brother. Human connection, genderf**kery and cooking guaranteed.

Another one is Treacle Walker by Alan Garner, but I don’t want to recommend that one because it’s a massive riddle.

3 Likes

…what’s Ao3?

2 Likes

never mind…

1 Like

Psst, no links please. But feel free to write the name or private message her the link since she asked. :+1:t5:

2 Likes

Go old school, pick up a book.

2 Likes

That’s clearly the winning answer :joy:. What else though? I’m wondering what people’s hobbies are?

1 Like

Not quite the same, but when I was going to school/working practically 24/7 and didn’t have time to read, I’d listen to audiobooks at work (was a dishwasher, so didn’t have to socialize a lot).

If I was ever in a position where I reeeeaaally wanted to be reading but couldn’t, I’d think about the world/characters and basically recede into my head imaging or headcanoning different scenarios lol

2 Likes

AO3 stands for “Archive of Our Own” it’s basically a site where people post a TON of fanfictions.

3 Likes

I honestly love this! Headcanons are wonderful fix-its for me and why I even ended up finding fanfics in the first place. :sweat_smile:

It’s back up now the last I checked a couple hours ago. :tada:

Awesome!!!

1 Like

Ohhhhh that’s why it won’t load. I thought it was just my signal screwing up again :joy:

Games on phone, writing, editing, tv, farm stuff

1 Like

Under 150 pages? My guy, that’s a novella :rofl: I’d say 200-250 is usually the average for a short book. Shorter than that you usually get novellas or short story collections.

2 Likes

I don’t smoke, don’t do drugs, and only occasionally drink…buying (pretty) books is my vice :rofl::rofl::rofl: And I gotta get through my shelves coz they been piling up unread for yearssssss.

There’s stuff I’d love to read on Wattpad but I can’t vote/comment reading offline and reading online is way too many ads (and no, they are not getting my card details :see_no_evil:).

1 Like

No wonder I was unaware. I dont write fanfics. Lol

Did people post non-fanfic?

2 Likes

Yep! I actually really appreciate the original works there. But sometimes digging is necessary for something good.

2 Likes

Oop :sweat_smile:

Games on phone seems to be coming in a close second!

:joy:

I love this xD. I’ve been tryna convince the fiancé to donate the books we don’t read to charity and he keeps “over my dead bodying me” saying he doesn’t get rid of books…

Don’t fall for the trap!

3 Likes

I come to defend the honour of short books! :crossed_swords:

I feel like term novella has a weird connotation. One might think it’s too complex to be a short story and yet too insufficient to be a novel, as if it doesn’t know what it wants to be.

That’s why I prefer the term short novel. People are likely to know exactly what it means; a slim book that packs as much punch as a novel, maybe even more. Some of the most celebrated books are short novels i.e. Animal Farm, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Wide Sargasso Sea. It’s a dying art form, but luckily we’re having a resurgence :slight_smile:

4 Likes