What do you think about Pop Punk? Do you think it has a diversity problem?

Apparently there is a pop punk/emo revival happening recently. Pop Punk refers to punk music with a more pop sensibility. Artists in this genre are Olivia Rodrigo, Willow (Smith), Blink-182, Panic! at the Disco, and @J.L.O ’s favorite band, Evanescence.

What do you think of it?

If you live outside of the US, have yoi even heard of it?

1 Like

Paramore
Fall out boy

2 Likes

I’m in the UK, we had a massive emo scene back in 2004-2005 when Fall Out Boy got their popular hype, and when MCR came out with The Black Parade album. I think it stopped around 2009
I miss that scene, it still lives in my heart.
Favourite band has been Panic! at the Disco since they started in 2004 and always will be <3

2 Likes

Well, it’s back Moxx! Excited yet?

1 Like

HELL YES XD

1 Like

I don’t think Evanescence really fits it, at least not the stuff I listened to about 20 years ago. If pop covers that, the it’s because they were doing it first. Lol. The stuff now? I’ve heard one song: they may have shifted more mainstream.

They had a long hiatus due to some issues.

1 Like

Well, emo music is often put under this label, and the closest thing to a definiton is “edgy music for moody teenagers”

1 Like

well if you google pop punk, i have music from the each of the first 6 bands on the list that pops up so yeah, i’d say i like it. I lean more towards the rock side of things but there’s a lot of crossover.

Marianas Trench, Sum 41, and Simple Plan are all Canadian pop punk/punk rock bands. Personally, I love Marianas Trench, 11/10 recommend.

Also a big fan of both these bands. From Under The Cork Tree was one of the first CDs I got for my car.

1 Like

My friend used to have those Cds in her car. Loads of pop punk ones.

2 Likes

I love pop punk! I grew up listening to Avril Lavigne, Pink, and Simple Plan as my favorite artists!

2 Likes

your friend has good taste

2 Likes

Eh punk schmunk. I’ve noticed some people are hopping on the pop punk wave cause it’s trending (ahem Demi, Halsey).

Diversity issue? Deffo! Willow is a sole exception in the mainstream. It’s seen as a very white boy experience. Of course it’s not case; there’s a feminist. queer and poc history here. Most of these acts fly under the radar unfortunately tho. Acts like Crack Cloud, Proper., Danny Denial.

I loved me some pop punk/emo when I was a teen. I caught it at the end of the 00s era. Paramore, P!ATD, Sum41 and MCR! And then I got into the oldheads like American Footbal, Jimmy Eat World, Smoking Popes and Lit.

I can’t say I listen to much pop punk atm. My taste leans more towards the post punk scene today.

1 Like

I agree.

2 Likes

I’m not really into it, either. I think that metal is more interesting. Olivia is half Philipino if that counts.

i liked pop punk but people like mgk and brendon urie ruined it for me

1 Like

All I know is that Brendon was featured on one of the lesser Taylor Swift songs, and this is coming from someone who isn’t even a fan.

1 Like