What does your main character do for a living? What is their occupation?

My Turn:

Faust is a former prince who has become a Necromancer and an Alchemist. He and like everyone in his family are all criminals but Faust wants to pursue another career path which is to become a Knight. Necromancy and Alchemy is a family business practice and something that runs in his blood.

So, that is that for Faust.

What about you all? What does your character do for a living and why?

8 Likes

A psychiatrist. Because I thought it would be interesting to explore what the therapist of a mass murderer might think, and whether she’d blame herself for not knowing ahead of time that he was capable of such a thing. ( -.-)\(^◡^ )

I thought your main character was a woman? Or did that change?

2 Likes

Yeah, it changes a lot mainly because I need to get it right.
This time it’s male and I can only hope that it stays male.

1 Like

My MC is a baker. She takes after her mother.
Not that she’s doing a lot of baking these days, she’s busy with wars and stuff :joy:

3 Likes

Don’t you mean she is busy with “baking wars”? :wink:

Nah, I’m only kidding! LOL!

3 Likes

No, no, you’re right :joy:

1 Like

Oh, wow! LOL!

1 Like

Tell: Olivia was working at some probably roughly minimum wage job and trying to figure out what she actually wanted to do prior to Riley blowing up her life. Now she does whatever odd jobs get her a little bit of money in between being hunted down by witches and evil spirits.

Shelter: Naida is a general helper/organizer/cleaner/cook/errand runner for the watchers

Rise: Hania is “supposed” to be your general stay at home mother/housewife but is so not ready for children despite it being expected so she doesn’t really have one. Though technically she’s also a warrior of the Dragon Court

Serpent in the Shadows: I’m not sure if kidnapping victim forced to parade around and perform for a King is an occupation but that’s how Blair survives so :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

These are really good.

It seems that Naida does a bit of everything…I am joking.
LOL!

Ashwini is a doctor, actually. Both her and her best friend, Jen, are doctors. Ashwini is an intensive care unit doctor (working in the coronary care unit (aka with heart patients)) and Jen is an anesthesiologist. Manish is a software engineer.

4 Likes

A lot of my MCs don’t have jobs, as I realize now while trying to answer this.

In my nano project; True is a ‘scavenger’, i.e. someone who goes from city to city robbing all the post-apocalypse dead bodies and then removing them. Everything runs on a barter system so they trade what they loot for what they need.

In Magpie Black the MCs are all university students so I didn’t give them jobs. But maybe I should, hmmmm. I gotta work on the worldbuilding here.

In Ash and Cinder Trick is a lab experiment so also… no job :sweat_smile:. I could see him becoming a nurse aide though.

4 Likes

“You” are a wiccacide–a fancy term for witch hunter. Not a vampire killer, not a werewolf hunter, not an exorcist. Witches; that’s what you’re trained and equipped to handle. And if even one aspect of a contract falls outside your line of work, you’re totally free to deny it. No sense in risking your neck after all. Even if you could really use the coin.

4 Likes

Vicente: Professional moper and general pain in the ass.

David: DJ.

Alejandro: Whatever jobs he can find (odd jobs, selling things).

4 Likes

Niko is fine artist by trade but he proabaly should have been a magician. He likes to mess with people and is already interested in the occult.

3 Likes

well uh

marcie is a kid for like half the book but then she has to do some investigating in a bunch of velouria bars so she kinda becomes a superstar while at it

michele (marcie but in a different galaxy) works at somewhere called “wyatt’s” which is kinda like our version of dollar tree

5 Likes

Sara doesn’t have one. She’s the leader of a gang, and runs their operations.
Malika is a vessel, someone who rules their part of the kingdom as a god

4 Likes

in my drafts of unpublished stories, my main character works at an opticians XD it was only because the character is the same age as i am and the only other job i ever had other than being in telesales and caseworking in a law firm, was an optical assistant. it’s actually a pretty fun but mundane thing for a student (which is what my main character is.) i don’t have enough experience or knowledge of any other mundane jobs than the ones i’ve had. and i had no time to research so i just stuck with it. it’s a romance story, so it’s not really that unique and neither really that important.

in my fanfiction though, my main character is a vampire. they don’t have a job i guess - but they aspire to work as a nurse or any position where they can help someone. despite their only source of sustenance being literally blood, they are portrayed as a very selfless and caring character who doesn’t let their being get in the way of what they’ve always wanted to achieve.

2 Likes

A vampire who wants to be a nurse, huh?
I feel a pun coming on strong. LOL!

2 Likes

Wow, that is pretty intense.

1 Like

Navon is a newly graduated superhero, although he’s undertrained, inexperienced, and just generally terrible at it. And that’s not even counting that he’s secretly the evil chosen one and spends most of his work time stealing memories and magic from his coworkers.

2 Likes