What is something relating to your country that it seems almost EVERYONE gets wrong?

I’m a bit curious because there are things about your country that people get wrong because of media representation…right???

What is it?

FORGIVE ME, IF THIS SOUNDS REALLY RUDE AND NAIVE OF ME!!!

2 Likes

America, but a part of the US that people don’t understand very well.

assumptions of hate

Historically, we’re descendants of the only white populations that coexisted with Native Americans (and thus have trace NA ancestry through the majority of the population). We are also labeled as “Creole” before they started lumping Cajuns into either “white” or “black”, which means sometimes you have 4th/5th generation cousins that should be “Cajun” that look nothing like what they put on their Census.

So, there’s people who are certain they are fully white, no NA ancestry that could pass for being NA in passing, blonde haired blue eyed pale skinned registered as black only a generation back. Ourselves, we label everything towards New Orleans as Creole and coastal is Cajun. There is little cultural difference in food, black or white.

Yet was there racism in the midst of this? Sure, but it’s more like hating yourself. And some of it was that severe, swept under the rug type that gets called things like a massacre. We’re a state over from Mississippi and 2 from Alabama so people expect the Klan to be successful here. It’s not. We’ve not had a chapter since I was a kid. They don’t make it well, here. Splc has us listed as having 15 different hate groups? This includes thinks like the Nation of Islam.

Outside our territory, we are a minority. Because of aggressive policies there’s a lack of trust of outsiders before my generation. My generation married out more and moved out as well.

4 Likes

that we’re all nigerian scammers

4 Likes

Man, most of us don’t get that Nigerians are multiple tribes trying to get along. Got one “brother” from the south in one of the cities that I think is Igbo? I or E tribe down to the south that blames a lot of lost people on the Fulani Herdsmen. That one is a psychiatric nurse. Got another that’s a Christian farmer to the north that sometimes gets run off his land due to religious fights. Neither brother has time to play “Nigerian Prince”.

3 Likes

everything :joy:

2 Likes

Australian here. Our big spiders are not dangerous, unless you annoy them* (the same for our snakes). You cannot treat our surf like whatever you are used to at home. Ignore the lifeguards (and flags) at your own peril. Also, when or where the locals are not swimming, stay out of the water. Oh, and distance here is deceptive. The world’s longest run of straight railroad is in a Western Australia (state) desert…Also, we sometimes use insults as complements / signs of affection…

*An example, the Australian Black House Spider is almost immune to insect-spray, can grow to palm size (or bigger in the outback), bites through garden gloves, but tends to avoid human interactions (unless provoked).

6 Likes

ehem

WE DO NOT RIDE KANGAROOS TO SCHOOL

Oh, it also snows here :tipping_hand_woman:

4 Likes

Fellow Australian here. Them not being dangerous doesn’t make them any less terrifying :joy:

3 Likes

Which part of Australia gets snow?
Sorry, for my ignorance, but I had no idea.

1 Like

Snowy Mountains, Blue Mountains, Victorian Alps, Tasmania.

We had a blizzard last week :joy:

3 Likes

I’ve head our Huntsman is both harmless to humans, and responsible for the most spider-related fatalities / injuries due to its fondness for crawling across car windscreens at inconvenient times.
^Your eight-legged street directory.

4 Likes

Wow, you just taught me something.
Heh. You learn something new and cool every single day.

2 Likes

Okay, I’m just gonna scroll past that because I am severely arachnophobic and even pictures of spiders give me panic attacks. Seriously, I only just learnt how to handle little ones on my own ;-;

And, yes, big huntsman spiders are very inconvenient

and also yes I am an australian with arachnophobia. the irony is not lost on me

2 Likes

I have a photo of kangaroos in the snow on my property lying around somewhere. Can find it if you want to see

2 Likes

Sure. That sounds so cute.
:blush:

1 Like

This is from last year

4 Likes

That is really pretty and cute!

2 Likes

Yeppppp. We actually get a lot of snow here. There are also ski resorts in NSW, VIC and TAS. But we don’t get as much snow as the northern hemisphere. We have a ski saying down here: “If you can ski in Australia, you can ski anywhere in the world.” Because our snow sucks :joy:

3 Likes

That’s really amazing.

2 Likes

Yep. It’s also really funny. I have people overseas tell me that it doesn’t snow in Australia while I’m sitting here, in Australia, watching a blizzard out my window

4 Likes