What is something relating to your country that it seems almost EVERYONE gets wrong?

There’s a misconception that y’all walk barefoot everywhere? :sweat_smile: That’s just weird. Haha

Oh definitely. I think that’s a good summary for most places around here when it comes to racism, sexism, homophobia, and other forms of discrimination—the majority of these people are often older, or at least live in a household where they were—so to speak—brainwashed into thinking that way because it was all they ever knew.

I haven’t been around Kentucky long enough to know the bad areas, but I have heard of some rough things going on.

Oof. That’s rough. Though, truthfully, it doesn’t help that there’s so many various stereotypes when it comes to Japan and Japanese people. :roll_eyes: :confused:

3 Likes

Which even Japanese people play into which is super annoying :upside_down_face:

Like, stop. Not a single person in Japan puts their hands together like a prayer and bows. They’re just feeding the stereotype.

It’s like if some American comes on TV and shouts about hamburgers.

Didn’t mean to get so bitter there XD It’s just so problematic. What are we doing? :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

This is something more related to my state in the US:

That all Texas have a twang, ride horses to school and wear cowboy hats & boots. Sorry, but no. The closest ranch is about an hour away from me (I live in a city), I have more of a accent due to being bilingual and I wear sweatpants, regular shirts and tennis shoes. :laughing:

2 Likes

A friend born and raised in Texas said that growing up she either wore boots or no shoes at all. :rofl:
So that might be true for some.

I live in New Jersey, I don’t think foreigners know enough about it to have misconceptions. :sweat_smile:
I’m here to comment if anyone is ready to test their NJ knowledge.

New York City is covered quite well just because of all the movies, etc. It’s a city. It’s crowded, a nightmare to drive in, and it’s overpriced. Just like most cities in the world.

I’m originally from Poland. People don’t seem to know much about it other than maybe random WW2 facts. Poland is quite older than that. LoL

No, Polish and Russian aren’t the same languages. My Russian coworker can’t pronounce Polish words apparently. I was pretty surprised because I can somewhat pronounce Russian but I also learned some Russian a lifetime ago so it’s not a fair comparison. Both Polish and Russian are Slavic languages though so they have the same roots. But you still have to learn the other language to understand it.

We have a rocky history with Russia so calling Polish people Russian feels a little insulting. There were times when Russia tried to force Polish people to only speak Russian. Same with Germany. Holding on to our language is a point of pride. The meaning of patriotism is perhaps a little different in Poland because of the history.

Not every Polish person is a drunk but that doesn’t mean that alcoholism isn’t a problem. It’s not a problem exclusive to Poland though so I’m not sure why it’s the only trait people tend to remember. Alcohol is used in social settings so maybe that’s why? We do know how to hold our liquor though. The saying “Drinking like a Pole” doesn’t mean drinking a lot but how functional you are after drinking. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Ah, my fellow New Jerseyan, good to meet ya!

I sometimes hear how it is terrible living in New Jersey because of the taxes and how it is like a mini version of New York.

Also, it doesn’t have to be foreigners, it can be other American getting things wrong about other states too.

2 Likes

They’re not wrong about the taxes but there are worse places to be, like NYC. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yeah, the taxes are a real killer.
Like seriously living here in New Jersey is hard on you financially.

Some manage to make do while most suffer because of it.

1 Like

I came up with a few more about the US. I’m also bored, so… :sweat_smile:

1. Our schools aren’t like the movies.

In the movies, you’ll often see cliques, popularity, and people wearing and doing things that are quite shocking when in reality, none of this is true.

Yes, it does depend on the school and area. Some places aren’t that strict. Some places have popularity and cliques. But usually, these are schools within bad areas, have staff that don’t care, and or the population is very small (I’m talking less than 300 kids overall within the school).

When a school is very small, is in a bad area, or whatnot… it often breaks the standard rule that others opposite to it have. I grew up going to about fourteen different public schools across the US. Most of them had a very high student population (my high school had over 1,200 kids) and they were in decent areas, so the staff and school itself held high standards when it came to students and rules. For example, all of my schools had a very, very strict dress-code. If you showed your bra straps, you’d get teachers yelling at you. If you showed any sort of skin, you’d get teachers yelling at you. We were forced to tape our knees or wear leggings if our jeans had holes in them, even if it was the style of the jeans. Some schools also enforced natural hair colors. There was a case when I was in high school where an online friend of mine in Indiana had a friend going to her school and was suspended for dying her hair pink. She had to dye it a “natural color” before she could return to school. And the main excuse for these rules is: “it’s distracting to the class” which, 99% of the time, it isn’t. When it comes to the female body, however, in regards to clothes, it’s usually the teachers getting distracted. Many are male.

So yeah, when it comes to the whole “is it like the movies?” it’s mostly 99% wrong. Movies are movies. They’re fake.

1. Waiters are not going to steal your credit card.

Something I’ve been seeing recently on TikTok are people from other countries being scared to come over here simply because of this whole ordeal about credit cards. In other countries, from what I’ve heard, you pay the waiter at the table—they bring this card machine for you to swipe it. In the US, it’s the opposite. Most restaurants, specifically chain ones, the waiter comes to your table with the bill and when you’re ready (after you’ve reviewed the bill), you give them your card and they take it to the back and run it. Then they give you back the receipt where you can add a tip, take your card back, and then leave. This is because the majority have not been upgraded when it comes to the machine they run the card through. It’s all based on a computer and they can’t wheel the computer over to you.

Now, some places like Applebees and Texas Road House have included a device for each table where you can not only order off the menu online but also play games and pay your bill through such device. Other places, mostly hole-in-the-wall restaurants, have a front desk where you have to go up to pay for your food. And then other places, sometimes it’s usually taco trucks where you can park in front, the waiter comes to you and has a device with them, though some don’t have it either.

But honestly, the risk of your credit card info being stolen by a waiter is pretty low. Usually, it’s stolen if you leave your credit card there by accident, and even then, they may keep it on hand until you return. I’ve never had my information stolen by simply going to a restaurant, and my dad has left his credit cards multiple times at restaurants and bars and whether it’s that same night or the next day (when he realizes), he backtracks to the restaurant and it’s still there—the employees kept it safe. :woman_shrugging:

1. We’re not as nice as you think.

There’s surprisingly a good amount of people who visit the US and say that everyone is so nice. While it may sometimes be true, the majority of Americans are either mean or two-faced. And it definitely shows up once you start working in the customer service field, though of course, customer service is customer service.

1. Employment lifestyle is a trap.

I’ve often seen people ask on social media, “Why do you tip? We pay our employees decent wages.” Honey, America is a third world country wrapped around a Gucci belt. The culture you’ll often see when it comes to employment is the fact that most people are poor because employers want to exploit their employees. What this is means is that the majority of employers are more interested in finding ways to save money, even if it’s a penny, than to make their employees happy. Tipping culture is just the tip of the iceberg. The tip is the majority of what the employee makes, because restaurants (for example, though they’re not the only ones who enforce tipping) follow the federal and state wages which for most places, the hourly wage is $2.17 (or something of that sort). So, they make tips to balance out the normal hourly wage (which is roughly $7.25 in these places). And these employers don’t want to pay an actual living wage because, again, they want to save money… because they’re greedy.

Now, a lot of people who are against tipping are part of the problem. See, no one likes the idea of having to pay more for service when it’s their job. These customers end up complaining about it to the employees who work these jobs, and then don’t tip or don’t tip well because of it. They say things like, “I’m not paying your salary, your boss should do that.” And yes, this is true—I see it all the time. But guess what? These employees can’t do much about it because their employer sucks… And then these people have the audacity to say things like, “If you don’t like not getting paid a decent wage, change jobs.” I mean, you do realize every single person in the tipping-culture industry would love to change their jobs, but if everyone did that, then we wouldn’t have hair salons, nail salons, restaurants, and more. Where else would you go to eat food you didn’t cook, to have someone else cut your hair, to have someone else do your nails? Right, nowhere. Because they’d all be empty and out of business.

And then you get people who agree with the tipping culture because, and I’ll quote, “it’s not personal, it’s business.” I recently read a meme on Facebook where it said, “I asked my son to mow the lawn for 10 dollars, and he asked me if he could get someone else to do it and pay them 5 dollars and he keeps the other 5. I don’t know if I should be proud or scared.” And then someone in the comments said, “Be proud. That’s business.” :upside_down_face:

1. Americans aren’t rich.

I don’t know why but many seem to think we’re all rich or at least living comfortably. You’re wrong, though I wish it was the truth. :rofl: Yes, many of us may be better off than other people in other countries (like the Middle East) but saying we’re rich or we’re all living comfortably is far from the truth.

First of all, most people are in debt. Many have dozens of credit cards, really low credit scores, and are thousands upon thousands of dollars in debt just because of credit cards, college, and other things. I, myself, am nearly 4K in the hole, and while I am better off than many (because I pay my cards on time and I have savings), it is still money I owe.

Secondly, we have a massive problem with homelessness. Now, being homeless doesn’t equal being unemployed, but for the most part, it does. According to endhomeless.org, over half a million people were homeless in January of 2022 with 70% being single individuals. My own family has experienced homelessness before, both with and without jobs. And even if you aren’t homeless, you can still struggle. There’s a lot of families in my small town who struggle to buy furniture and my sister’s church has donated hundreds of beds to kids because they all sleep on the floor. Poverty is real. Poverty makes up the majority of our country.

5 Likes

Everything. I used to try to explain it but I gave up. Not that I even know anything any longer. The world had changed too much since I thought I knew something of it. I am too lost, tired and confused lately without much of an identity.

7 Likes

Nobody pronounces it aboot.

Who came up with that?

1 Like

oh i forgot another one
we are all not jim jones :skull:

1 Like

It might be an old dialect

1 Like

I have heard some candians prounce “ou” as “oo” before.

1 Like

We don’t say Top O’ T’ Mornin To Ye around here. That would get you beat at best, and banished at worst :smiley:

4 Likes

Holy shit! :rofl:

2 Likes

there are a lot of strong accents here, the closest i can think would pronounce it that way is a hoser accent or maybe newfie.

newfie accents are really heavy with an obvious irish influence. Hoser againts are, like the name suggests, rural accents and are what get depicted in media the most. i’ve got a bit of one that ironically i can hear when i say sorry. I think they vary a bit by region, and i think Manitoba would get you closest to aboot. but even then…

1 Like

tumblr_opuog5fxlt1v1qjimo1_400
and yet séan still seems to be unbanned :thinking:

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

Bring Jack over here :smiley:

4 Likes

he’s over there already u-u

2 Likes

Not in my part!

2 Likes