What is the overall theme(s) of your novel?

For me, I’ve been thinking about this for a bit and I am conflicted on what that is.
I am too early in the game or not really. Yet the theme for my story is revenge and yet it is also falsehood.

Like, revenge is a dark bittersweet thing, but sinister lies are far more sour than anything else is the tag line for the story.

Anjan desires revenge, yet unveiling the dark secrets and skeletons the empire was built on is what will destroy the world.

So, it’s revenge and inability to handle the shocking truth.

That is considered the theme. Thinking harder about it, the things that the members of the court want Anjan to handle and keep the public from knowing are in ties with the dark secrets that the empire is keeping from the entire world.

If there is a third theme, it will be false gods rule over us or something like that.

But enough about me, what are the themes or morals of your current novel?

I feel like there are more themes in my novel, but the main ones are revenge, corruption, and falsehood.

Thoughts and feelings?

4 Likes

@TheTigerWriter
@JohnnyTuturro
@Akje
@alenatenjo
@Xelyn_Craft
@NotARussianBot
@MatthewJH
@J.L.O
@SecretDurham
@AMMeyers

Give me the theme that make your story in big ways or small ways. I prefer if it is something simple or something that stands out. If you don’t really have that yet, then that is fine. Maybe the comments will reveal something in due time.

I desire to know your real answers. :grin:

2 Likes

Been making slow progress, but I suppose it’s about Friendship, Progression Through Struggle, and Forgiveness.

2 Likes

Interesting. Why do those themes interest you so?

1 Like

I think because they are fun to write but also are based on things I’ve dealt with in real life.

2 Likes

Hmm…so placing the real experiences into your story as a front for the themes, I see?

In terms of my novel, I mainly think it’s me questioning what happen if the world revealed the horrible lies to the people blind by what is actually going on and what really happened. Yet in the midst of it all a random individual seeking revenge for what happened will be either the world’s savior or reason for it’s destruction or even both.

I like your reason though.

2 Likes

I’m pretty chill so yeah.

1 Like

Cool, cool.

I have another question.

Q1: What question do you think readers might ask in response to the theme?

Bonus Q: Is there a hidden opinion opposing your themes?

Forgive me if that is asking some weird thing or rude.
Still figuring out themes and things overall on my end.

1 Like

Is it foolish or wise to forgive, and in which situations does it help or harm?

1 Like

Ooh! I like that!
Make you really question is forgiveness truly a justified thing.

People state that you should forgive the ones who hurt you even though what they done wasn’t the greatest of things. I mean you can “forgive”, but the wounds they’ve inflicted won’t let you forget, not ever.

It causes people to become conflicted on what is right and wrong in the end.

Does what I am saying make sense?

1 Like

The theme for my first book is finding self and being who you are regardless of what the world expects from you. There are other underlying themes as well, but that’s the big one. I’m unsure what the themes will be in my next books on an individual scale, but I know that the overall theme through the whole series will be corruption and redemption, that it’s never too late to make things right, second chances, rising from the ashes and all that. That one is heavily hinted at in my first book too.

3 Likes

Oooh! I like yours as well!

You and @NotARussianBot got some cool themes!

Why choose those themes for your novel? What about it entices you to create the story that you have? Is there a certain message you want readers to be able to gather from reading your novels?

In terms of my first book, those are themes I have at the moment, but you mentioned the themes for your other books and that has me thinking a bit ahead before the very start of book 2.

Tends to be a thing for me. LOL!

2 Likes

Thematic agenda? I don’t tend to think like that.

I mean, I do incorporate themes, but I don’t agenize them, per se, from the start. They kind of come out of my frustration with bad plots and tropes, “This ain’t right!” things. But being too focused on agenda is preachy and ruins the story too often.

4 Likes

That makes sense.

I wasn’t raised to be a preacher, that ain’t my job.

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Also, what themes are a bit focused in your novel?

1 Like

I agree that you don’t need to intentionally plan themes into a book, but as you write they tend to emerge on their own. So far, these are the themes that keep surfacing in my wip:

•   grief and loss
    •   homophobia
    •   courting disaster instead of seeking safety
    •   destruction and rebuilding
    •   vengeance
2 Likes

Good, because I desire to understand subplots too.
I can never seem to grasp those neither.

Normally, I don’t even think about themes or subplots for the story, I just plot/plan a little bit then start writing.

I can understand why this story feels a tad different than my previous works or maybe I am reading too into things.

Still, I understand the themes for my novel well enough.

1 Like

Mine doesn’t really have any, in the sense you’re thinking. I don’t think about it much at all, either, or the morals in my stories. I’m not a preacher or a fable writer. I’m here to entertain you, not convince of agendas.

2 Likes

Interesting.
You and @J.L.O are similar in that regard!

Honestly, I think that I am over thinking things a wee bit too much for my own story.

I just need to write and make sense of things later, to be frank.

Anyway, thanks for answering!

2 Likes

Geez, am I in the wrong here a little bit? :confused:

I feel like I over thinking my story which isn’t a bad thing, but I want to start the first draft the understand things later once I’m done.

Hell, I don’t hardly ever concern myself with themes in my story, probably because I wasn’t as dedicated as I am now.

Thoughts and feelings, @JohnnyTuturro, @J.L.O, and @Akje?

1 Like