What is your characters' pain tolerance like...physical?

Hmmm…I’d guess around a five or six. At one point she gets surgery which many real life celebrities say is horribly painful, but she just takes NSAIDs and liquor to squelch the pain. ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

1 Like

I mean, depends on the character.

Trick, the MC of Ash and Cinder has fibromyalgia so he basically lives at a 6, and being a human experiment has definitely gotten him to 10-11 before. So he could handle a 10 and push through, although not for long since that kind of damage is, yknow, life threatening.

Johnna and Rory are both MCs in Magpie Black that have high pain tolerances. Johnna because you need one when your favourite activity is “run full tilt at dangerous things” and Rory because he’s had a lot of painful surgeries. On the other hand, Marsy’s tolerance for pain is reliant on their ability to identify it’s source. Lightheadedness and a stomach cramp could be a 9 to them until someone tells them its because they’re hungry and then suddenly its a 1.

The MC of a project I started recently i think could do about a 4 or 5. She’s not very sturdy (but she’ll get there, because I’m mean) for character developement.

In general I usually write characters with higher pain tolerances because I like to beat them up. But I think it would be fun to try some more characters with lower pain tolerances.

1 Like

Depends on the wound. For most non-hospital / surgery required injuries my MCs would rank the following…

Dov: 5
A combat veteran from Australia’s Commandos, Dov learnt to suppress or ignore pain early on. Being raised and working on a cattle farm also helped.

Freyja: 2 - 3
A hybrid prototype clone with synthetic and cybernetic enhancements, Freyja can heal most injuries within a few minutes. She doesn’t notice ‘light’ injuries like scrapes, cuts or bruises from training (including boxing / MMA bouts).

Krista: 7
A tough girl but still an underbuilt fourteen-year-old. Krista is terrified of going to hospital as a patient (lost too many friends that way), so she insists on dealing with any injuries less severe than broken limbs at home or by herself.

Strange little toy actually hurt ~ Alucard from Helsing (anime).
Pain is just weakness leaving the body ~ French Foreign Legion training instructor.
Like a surgeon, cutting for the very first time ~ Weird Al Yankovic.

1 Like

I mean, Amneris can be impaled and just look at the person who did it like “did you really just do that?” and then kill them so I’d say pretty high

Any specific situations you would like? @qualeshia3

1 Like

Any will do.

Nothing to say here but “Real wold Injuries”… If a horse falls on your leg with full force… It f*cking hurts… It really does!

This is the pain threshold that I try to adhere to… It just makes sense to keep Pain Real…

SD

1 Like