What is your favourite classic book?

After talking about classics I dislike all I’ve been wanting to do was pick up a classic. So while I’m making a list of classics to look for when I go book shopping (whenever that is) I thought it would be a good idea to ask here what your favourite classic is.

As for myself I’ve barely touched classics but my absolute favourite so far is Romeo & Juliet.

4 Likes

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. It’s not just my favorite classic book, but my favorite book of all time. It’s a long story—the unabridged version, which you should get, is 117 chapters long—but the writing is so page-turning that it feels much shorter than it actually is.

If you’re wondering what it’s about, it’s centered around a man who’s supposed to have everything going for him, but then three people scheme to falsely accuse him of treason and he gets wrongly thrown to prison for that. Years pass, he escapes, finds a buried treasure, and uses his newfound wealth to carve a new identity and exact revenge on those who wronged him. Yeah, it’s essentially an accidental billionaire’s years-long revenge trip, and a very thrilling one at that.

3 Likes

Definitely, adding this to my list.

2 Likes

Depends on what we mean by classics. That’s a wide range of stuff, and I liked about half of what I’ve read.

Hmm.

I read Dracula when I was 12 (same time as TLotR). I mean, I didn’t read for obligation, at that age, so genuine interest got me through things like that.

4 Likes

Hmm maybe 1950’s and back.

2 Likes

Catch-22 for something modern, Don Quixote for something older.

3 Likes

I… don’t have many favorites. :sweat_smile:

I didn’t read many in school, and the bit that I did get between my schooling days and my sister’s schooling days (because I’m my little sister’s tutor while she did online schooling for her freshman year… and what I mean by that I that I basically did her homework for her in English class haha—I wrote multiple essays on Romeo and Juliet and Homer’s Odyssey) wasn’t much. The majority I didn’t like whether it was because I hardly understood it or didn’t like it because it wasn’t all that.

But I think if I had to name some favorites it would be the Miracle Worker by William Gibson and some poetry and short stories from Edgar Allen Poe.

What I like from him are: the Black Cat, the Raven, and Annabelle Lee.

4 Likes

I don’t read classics much at all, but I love period dramas, haha. Pride and Prejudice is my favorite, though I’ve only ever read the book half-way.

I’d say, out of classics, Carmilla by Sheridan Lu Fanu. I listened to an audiobook of it after reading where all the characters had different voice actors, and there was a lot of background noise. It was pretty cool.

4 Likes

‘The Brothers Karamazov’ by Dostoevsky, no doubt about it. Thousand of pages felt like a hundred. :smile:

3 Likes

Love the following and read multiple times:

• Wuthering Heights (the original and the best ‘bad boy’ romance) - Emily Brontë

• Dracula - Bram Stoker

• Lord of the Flies (although just missed your cut-off of pre-1950) - William Golding

4 Likes

I forgot about LotF. That sucker was a very good read, just disturbing and not what I was into by the time it was compulsory to read.

3 Likes

Was very disturbing - especially being forced to read it as a kid at school. But I still love it.

2 Likes

What is scary is how accurate it was to studies on rats in limited living spaces.

2 Likes

A toss-up between Idiot and Master and Margarita. Hard to chose.

3 Likes

So hard to choose! In no particular order:

Jane Eyre
Wuthering Heights
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
Death in Venice
The Picture of Dorian Gray
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Good Earth
The Brothers Karamazov
Dead Souls
Johnny Got His Gun
Candide
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Animal Farm
War and Peace once the inciting incident happens about 20 chapters in

Also I’ve read every Shakespeare play now and would give most of them four stars, but omg Molière is better! Fewer works, but man, they’re hilarious! (ღ˘ᴗ˘ღ) :heavy_heart_exclamation:애! :two_hearts:

6 Likes

I love his plays as well

2 Likes

Is Aztec Mythology classic?

1 Like

I read Frankenstein for fun a while back.

2 Likes

The funny part is I’m 100% certain I read Frankenstein. Everyone pretty much knows the plot…but I can’t remember reading a single bit of it.

2 Likes

Any mythology is.

1 Like