What kinds of things creep you out? [real world or in fiction]

Lol, I quit taking that movie seriously when the chick without the jaw came out, as if that was enough to kill her. People live through that, and I couldn’t suspend my disbelief any further. Yeah, gore, just not “this is a dead person coming for you”.

3 Likes

heheheheh he is one of us. the aliens.

it’s a movie?? I read it as a shitty copypasta when I was like, 12 and it scarred me for life :sob: :sob:

people can live without their jaw but it really depends on how they lost it. With something that close to your brain, the blunt force trauma alone could probably hit your permanent off switch. Never mind the blood loss. And if you survived that then the potential for infection afterwards would be astronomical. Imagine getting mrsa on a wound like that :grimacing:
And besides all of that, shock all on it’s own can be fatal.

but i digress, i’ve never seen the movie so idk how believable it was made to be.

2 Likes

Feet…

Mainly the weird feet…

Just can’t do them, at all.

SD

1 Like

Long haired woman on the ceiling? That should come from at least the American version of The Grudge.

The last person who I saw awake and waiting on surgery without their jaw was a shotgun to the face, that at the time was claimed to be from a motorbike accident. Big burly dude. So…it just jarred me out the movie.

2 Likes

@J.L.O I have a friend who wants to meet you

https://www.giantmicrobes.com/us/media/catalog/product/cache/ff90142cc55f9ca12447aeed7184b263/t/a/xtapeworm_1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.aI8VYwnj8m.jpg

That reminds me of the sperm bank my father got from Spencer’s.

It also brings new meaning to “Dance Monkey”.

1 Like

It’s a tapeworm plushie.

These are what the sperm look like

https://www.giantmicrobes.com/us/media/catalog/product/cache/ff90142cc55f9ca12447aeed7184b263/e/g/xeggcell-xl.jpg.pagespeed.ic.uq0J6HkPvT.jpg

1 Like

XL? I’m dying.

2 Likes

Oddly cute and terrfying

1 Like

Mother-figures intent on hurting their (younger) children. Coraline and Hansle and Gretel are two good examples of this. Also, Lady MacBeth saying she would kill her own baby if she promised it.

Also, any story where the witch requires ‘the first-born child’. It’s not them promising to give it away, necessarily (more morally questionable) that creeps me out, but the fact that a witch/goblin man (in the case of Rumpelstiltskin) asks for a child creep’s me out a little.

This is dependent on whether or not the protagonist is a woman, but men whose intentions towards them are unclear make me really nervous. Each scene has me grinding my teeth. Like in Split or Crimson Peak. I really worry for them, especially when both of these characters were so isolated from the outside world.

When you get to see a serial killer’s ‘keep sakes’. Like in Silence of the Lambs when you discover the Skin Suit, or Dexter when you see he keeps little dots of blood.

Stories set in winter. Perfect setting, imo, for a horror story.

Most of the time I find the creepiness (why still creepy) more fascinating or tropey, so it doesn’t freak me out. Graveyards, dark forests, creepy degrading houses, or castles surrounded by flying bats are more commodities. Nonetheless, they’re some of my favorite tropes.

I did have a dream once where I was in a desert landscape, with another person, and a baby. And we were really thirsty and in need of shelter, and in the distance, there was this massive asf silhouette of a castle. When we went towards it, though, we noticed ominous dark clouds surrounding only the castle and stopped, debating whether or not to continue, when the clouds moved, and we realized they were a horde of disgusting bats intent to infect us with rabies.

That was pretty creepy.

2 Likes

I have found another thing that creeps me out.

The Backrooms.

A video about one of the backrooms popped up in my YT homepage, and being the curious person I was, I decided to read some pages from the Backrooms wiki. Needless to say I was thoroughly creeped out by what I read :sweat_smile: :cold_sweat:

Who knew empty rooms could be so creepy o.O

2 Likes
It's possible that it comes out of Jewish culture:

The firstborn son is God’s, for “opening the womb”. They did some complicated accounting to trade the firstborn’s debt to the whole tribe of Levi, so that most all the priests came out of Levi. There are some aspects that are based on biology (like how it is much easier to get pregnant after the first successful pregnancy, so a firstborn represents your fertility), but it was supposed to run parallel to Messianic prophecy, as the Messiah is called the Firstborn.

The potential polygamy of Kinsman Redeemer was the same: a system set up to ensure that a son was born to replace a man who died without sons. His wife couldn’t inherit her husband’s portion: she’s not of his ancestors and could transfer property out of the family. That substitute son inheriting is also to ensure that the woman was taken care of, a form of social security because ancient Judiasm, boys took care of mama. Any kids after the substituted son are the new husband’s. But again, it’s to parallel a Messianic aspect of redemption: buying back a debt of care and promising a future to those left destitute.

And something people miss is men who only have daughters, their daughter inherits the property like sons, and their men were expected to give up their rights to at least their firstborn son inheriting, to keep grandpa’s family name properties continuing. The whole system was set up to ensure that Jews didn’t disappear as a culture.

Another aspect of this is that it was and is still quite common to sell your children into a better life . We sugarcoat that by calling it “apprenticeship”, sometimes. Sometimes they were more temporary, like fostering between the nobles or squires. So, when these stories came out, most all the poor could see themselves in the young couple’s position because they were going to do some iteration of it without going to a witch or a hobgoblin.

It’s bizzarre for us because people who trade their kids for a little comfort often go to jail, here.

1 Like

Corner people too… Oddities of the Umbral realms which we know nothing about…

SD

1 Like

oooh, yes, that’s creepy.

And half people. Half the vertical way. There was this Japanese comic where some guy ran into a bush and got stuck to the wall but was still alive. Just the vertical half of him.

1 Like

Ah, yes, creeped out fears!

Anyway, there are things that are just plain creepy to me that if it were real, I probably wouldn’t be able to respond properly to it.

Imagine if you will, that you just let out a loud sneeze in your own home and you are currently all alone in said home. Minding your business, you get a text or phone call from someone you know like a friend or relative or someone else you know well. You answer the phone and the person on the other end says “since you sneezed I just wanted to say bless you” then hangs up the phone.

You call them back and text them back later asking them how did they know you sneeze only to get this response “I don’t know what you are talking about or I never called you”. The person you knew really didn’t call or text you, but someone else posing your the person did…

In fiction that is a bit creepy. In real life, however, that is all types of wrong.

2 Likes

In fiction:

• Two fluffy gay boy author self inserts getting it on.

• Incest (we don’t live in the Middle Ages anymore).

• Pretty boys who look almost plastic (same with the women too).

• Underage sex with older characters (age of consent here is 16).

2 Likes

IRL:
Humanities inherent ability to be cruel.

2 Likes

Could definetly be either of thode things that culturally influenced it. But it’s not really that I see the parents giving away their child (most of the time for a boon) that’s especially strange. I mean, we live in a horribly dark and corrupt world. Lots of parents still sell their children if it means they (the parent) get money, comfort, housing, etc.

But it’s not the parents that are the creep-factor here, at least for me. Their motivations, although very selfish and corrupt, their intetions usually stem from extreme povery-struck desperation and not anything sadistic.

It’s mainly the people, witches, warlocks, dragons, goblins, what have you, asking for this child. And considering many old fairytales contained heavy themes of cannabalism, r-word, etc. The reasons for their wanting the child are ambiguous enough that it really creeps me out.

Conclusion: I do not like ambigious people nor situations. Bluntness is the way to go! (Unless an author intends to turn up the creep factor).

But thank you for sharing your insights! Historical context is always nice to know in situations like these, and it makes the situation clearer and sympathatic in that we can understand what people (and readers) of the past intended with their various themes. It also removes a level of ambiguity, so hats off

2 Likes

It’s just that it so horribly comes out of nowhere, so often, that I’m surprised people don’t get bugged about that more.

Hansel and Gretel come to mind for the cannibalism.

And this will be a bit late for the time period, but it’s pointing out that that children were treated as medically different than adults in very early modern medicine (inflection point post-witch trials):

The thing is that stuff we figure out now, was known and badly applied in the past:

One link showing it works:

One link calling doing crap like this is pseudoscience:
Young blood transfusion - Wikipedia.

Most these things about ambiguously taking kids is because “the elixirs of youth” have always been in kids.

But I suspect the more sinister motives more often came from lore on changelings.

2 Likes

At least the creepy caller was nice about it :stuck_out_tongue:

Creepy for me would be if it was night time when it happened and the next door neighbor arrived at the exact moment after you sneezed. When you answer the door, they say, “I brought you a blanket.”

“Uhm, what’s this for?”

“You sneezed, so I thought you might be cold. You like green, right? I know it’s a bit early for your birthday, but do accept this gift.”

“How did you—?”

They give a big bright smile. “I know everything about you. I know your bathroom tiles need fixing. I know a guy who can do it for you. I can call him tomorrow. Goodnight.”

They leave the blanket behind and it has your star sign sewn on it.

Now that would be creepy especially if it were me and the neighbor was an old guy (which, in fact, currently I do have an old guy neighbor XD oh noooo ).

I think there’s a fine line between creepy and scary though. Something can be creepy and make you shudder, but not that you’d want to run away from it.

3 Likes