What’s your bookish crime?

:rofl:

I LOVE THAT, THOUGH! :heart_eyes:

SAME.

As much as I love the idea of reading a book before its release, sometimes I’m lazy and I just watch the movie and never read the book. And sometimes, it made me want to read the book. Which I how I end up with preferring the movie over the book because if I thought the movie was really good and set the standard high, I’d be really disappointed in the book…

Also break spines. :raised_hand:

You’re not the first or only one to forget to return books. xD

We just don’t like books written in. Like, to me, a book is supposed to look perfect when reading it. Not have a bunch of notes and stuff on it. But to each their own. :sweat_smile:

SAME.

:flushed:

Why didn’t you just ask for a copy of those photos?!

SAME. And then I end up hating my paperbacks because the cover won’t stay down. :rofl:

Gasp

Reading in a bath sounds nice, but dropping them in???

Ewww. lol

I can understand from a dog (because my sister’s dogs ripped up a few of my books that I had to re-buy) but a CAT? Like, the worst any of the cat’s I’ve owned has ever done was pee on things on the floor (which if a book is nearby, it’d happen) or chew on wires. I had to start using BlueTooth because of them (though now I’ll never go back to wired headphones). And my cat doesn’t chew on anything besides his food and other animals lol

That was a crime I had a few years back. When I was teenager to an early adult, I would only read about one or two books a year. But because I wanted to be an “avid reader,” I came up with a goal system—to read more books than I did the previous year. I read about seventeen last year, so now I have a goal to read eighteen for 2023, and I’ve already read six so far. However, I’m not and probably will never be a “voracious reader” because I’ve never read more than twenty books a year. I’m jealous of those who can.

2 Likes

I had a library book that I NEVER returned to the library near an apartment I lived at years ago. I threw it away years later and that was that.

So, those people at that library never got the book back and that was one time I did that.
As for the second one, I toss books in the trash that I can’t sell or donate or leave them for someone else to deal with.

Yeah…I could definitely see myself on death row for that. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

PSH. THAT’S NOTHING. :rofl: I’ve stolen from libraries. Well, basically stolen from them lol. But I have my parents to blame. xD

Because we moved so much, there were quite a few books we checked out and then never returned because we ended up moving later on. I still have some of those books, too. :rofl: We even have a few random textbooks from schools we left. Hahaha

But my parents were never the type to take these back, and it doesn’t help that they up-and-left a few times during arguments… which is how some of my things went missing. I’m still missing my stuffed animal Whiskers that I got when I was five for my broken wrist surgery because the one day I didn’t take him to school with me in third grade, my parents packed everything up in our little RV from the motel room we were staying at for however long and decided to leave when we got off the school bus. Whiskers was still in the motel room, but we were already checked out and my parents didn’t want to go back because they were in a yelling match with each other. Yeah, I’ll never recover from that day. Very traumatic. But they did this with our library books, textbooks, and basically anything else. So… :sweat_smile: Nice thing is that I can still go back to those libraries and technically not be considered a criminal since it’s all under my mom’s name. :rofl: That is, if those libraries haven’t deleted her from their system. Haha

Lol. That reminds me of a guy who recently tried to sell five PS4 games he forgot to return. :rofl: He borrowed them in November, never returned them, and then randomly out of the blue, held a yard sale and posted it to the town’s chat group on Facebook to advertise it, and in the photos he posted, our games were clearly in the shots and not marked off. Our director ended up banning him after we got them back. :rofl:

3 Likes

Im so glad. :rofl: i know the book community likes to gatekeep but i paid for the book, and im not hurting anyone but turning it into art. Im making use of it.

100%. I always find myself in the sane predicament. The only books i have that were movies ive watched are If I Stay, and Twilight series. But heres the kicker. Ive never read the books. But i plan to! I swear i do. I wanna compare them, for fun.

3 Likes

Yeah, I had a book I never returned. Didnt read it, didn’t return it, sad bugger got destroyed in the process of demolishing my parent’s house. Pribwbly still havw a charge on my card, for when I go back to the library, possibly this summer.

2 Likes

I work in a bookstore so my crimes are like related to my job unfortunately. I have ripped covers off of books in order to send it back to publishers so it can be recycled. If I keep finding a book that keeps getting put out on the floor and I know it’s damaged but my coworkers don’t understand what the final product is actually supposed to look like (such as endpages not having the artwork it’s supposed to have or repeating chapters or other misprint issues) I will rip it in the back and put it in the damages pile. I’ve also damaged a lot of books via just putting them on a shelf before at work due to trying to force many books onto a shelf

5 Likes

I prefer reading books online over hard copies… Straight to jail, I know :sweat_smile::crazy_face::joy:.

3 Likes

They do, but I think the exception is with a book you didn’t like lol

Holy cow! :scream: The trauma that book has been through. :rofl:

That seems to be a good reason, though. I mean, they’ll become recycled, or there’s already a problem with it, so it seems good enough. xD

Same. :rofl: Though I don’t do too much damage. It’s more like bending pages accidentally.

:police_car:

5 Likes

Yeah, I owed something like $36 on getting a new card. Will eventuslly have to, to bring my kids to the library.

2 Likes

Haha very fair

Books are so fragile :sob:

1 Like
My summary response to this thread

https://media1.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExOTViOTA2OTgxMDJmZDNjOWY3N2VkNmE0OTE3OThjZTdiMTJhYzkyZCZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZzX2dpZklkJmN0PWc/h7dhRHTIITnUbbcMBs/giphy.gif

Not saying I’m innocent, but still…

3 Likes