What’s your bookish crime?

What is something you do that would land you in Book Jail? Things that people consider “evil”?

I just posted a new video to my work’s Library TikTok account about bookish crimes (I’m the second person in the video), and everyone was like, “THAT IS PURE EVIL” about mine which is… I prefer most movies than the books. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I dog-ear books :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

One time way back in high school, I was reading by myself and some random chick caught me dog-earing my own book, freaked out, and ran over to me and un-dog-eared my book.

And now I dog-ear books out of spite. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 Likes

This one would most definitely land me in jail. :rofl:

If i buy a book but find out later i dont like it, yet i am in love with the cover, i turn it into art collages. I cut it up.

And i too, usually watch movies from books ive mever read. Im terrible like that.

6 Likes

Dog ear. Leave them in high moisture environments (its just soggy down here), Ive brokenna spine or two.

But Ive also recovered bibles in leather from old purses.

2 Likes

I pirate light novels

3 Likes

Forget to turn in a library book or throw books away in the trash rather than sell it.

I’m on death row aren’t I?

3 Likes

Annotation is a crime? :eyes: I don’t do highlights and sticky tabs. But I do love a good pencil underline and comment.

Oh and I rest books open and face down sometimes to mark the page where I left off :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Lmao an actual crime.

4 Likes

I’m going to burn in Hell evidently, for I’ve ripped photos out of library books before returning them simply because I wanted to keep the pictures. Yes, I’m ashamed of myself. But those photos still look great framed on my wall today. (♯ᴖ.ლ)

2 Likes

That’s why we have ebooks and ebook readers :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve got a list:

• Annotate books
  • Fold over pages
  • Bend back the cover/pages I’ve read when reading
  • Read books in the bath and sometimes drop them in
  • I like Harry Potter and have read all the books/listened to the audiobooks more times than I can count
  • When I was a teenager I came home after a heavy night out, got into bed with my book, fell asleep trying to read it, and woke up a few hours later and was sick on it. It was Bram Stoker’s Dracula, and I know this because I still have that book, stained with sick from the nineties on my bookshelf.

But my cat has the worst book crime:

• If I leave a book anywhere he can reach it, he’ll start eating the cover, leaving me with lots of tattered or coverless books
3 Likes

Yeah but it’s more satisfying to annotate on paper, especially if they’re designed for it like those Fitzcarraldo Editions. Plus I like pulling out a random book from the shelf and flipping through to see my thoughts and passages I resonated with.

2 Likes

Fair enough but I think that soon they will try and emulate real books somewhat more with eInk.

1 Like

I clean my nails on page corners. I can’t explain why but it’s satisfying.

Not evil. Just a chaotic neutral. Anything can become a bookmark, including the book itself.
I think the funniest bookmarks I’ve used would be something random like a sock. :sweat_smile:

Besides the above, not reading much is likely my biggest crime.

In my defense, I’ve finally figured out why that is and I think it’s a very valid excuse.

It’s the same as when I hear someone play guitar. It makes me want to play too. Not what they’re playing, just to play something.

Same thing happens when I read. I get this sudden urge to write. I’m not going to write what I’ve just read, but I get inspired and start thinking about my own WIP while I’m reading someone else’s.

I can’t remember when was the last time I finished reading a whole book.

3 Likes

Same, especially with my TBR pile I have accumulated.

2 Likes

Yeah, I just start and never finish.

2 Likes

I dont set out to do that, but I HAVE done that.

3 Likes

To a lot of people, piracy is the 8th deadly sin.

2 Likes

I dog ear and annotate.

I like to dog-ear (my own) books because when I re-read it gives me a sense of accomplishment. If I stopped reading in chapter two, the second time I read through I might get past it. It’s interesting to see my progress through a story. Annotate because I like to look over my previous thoughts. I will re-read books years after first reading them so it’s good to compare my perceptions then to the perceptions I have now.

I’ve always believed a well-loved book will have those types of creases, notes, etc. not everyone agrees, but I like to make my books feel used.

4 Likes

Book angel coming in here XD I don’t have any crimes.

Only twice in my entire life have I ever dog-eared a book. The first was to return to a particular kissing scene in an upper middle grade book when I was a teen, first discovering romance.

The second was a weird occurrence where I had a dream of a kissing scene (LI asks: “Is this okay?” MC says “It’s very okay.”). Then I read a 90% similar scene in a romance book my grandmother gave me (LI asks: “Is this okay?” MC says, “Yes, it’s okay.”). The way their bodies were positioned standing up was the exact same in my dream. It was so weird, I asked the book to forgive me, and dog-eared that one page.

2 Likes