What was your middle school/high school music taste?

I was born in '95 so by the time I was 12, Emo, Emocore, etc, etc was piping hot in the streets. I was SO MAD my parents wouldn’t let me go to Warped Tour. I grew up and forgot about some of these songs because I kept switching Ipods and MP3 players and eventually just had Spotify. However, if you play enough Fall Out Boy and MCR, Spotify will dredge up some of the things you forgot you were obsessed with. I recently just fell back into a Cobra Starships rabbit hole. My Discover Weekly suggested a Cute Is What We Aim For song and a Boys Like Girls song. It also suggested a Hollywood Undead Song and made me realize how annoying I was in middle school because I would try to blast their songs as loudly as I possibly could on my Skull Candy earbuds so people would know I was very cool.

8 Likes

I was born in '97 and I actually loved the same kind of music I love now. :rofl:

My main obsessions were: Avril Lavigne, Simple Plan, Kelly Clarkson, My Chemical Romance, Pink, and Taylor Swift. Rock, hard rock, pop, punk, and other genres were what I listened to the most with a dash of country and classics (like Frank Sinatra).

I was also big into Disney musicals. I mean, I still listen to it now, but back then, it was Camp Rock, anything from Hilary Duff, Cheetah Girls, and random songs from smaller Disney movies like Nothing’s Wrong With Me from Pixel Perfect. :rofl:

And, like my parents, I would also listen to a bunch of 80s music (mostly from bigger artists like Journey and Queen). Though, honestly, I didn’t have the kind of appreciation for Queen I do now until I was an older teen.

3 Likes

I graduated in '00.

Jr High had a lot of exposure to singers like Keith Sweat, not me hwving a strong opinion on groups, coming out of a sheltered music exposure in elementary.

By highschool, I liked BIIM, System of a Down, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eurythmics, Gatth Brooks, Acapella, AVB, Evanescence, Slipknot, Eagles, Eminem, Nelly, Weird Al, Church Hymns, Black Mages, Aerosmith, Queen, Teisted Sister, ACDC…and more that Im not remembering off the top my head.

4 Likes

omg were you a High School Musical/Camp Rock kid?

2 Likes

born in ‘99. In middle school i had an emo phase from ages 13-15 (i was a year older than everyone in my grade) and then One Direction got me out of that phase haha. Then k-pop took all of my attention in high school :joy:

3 Likes

i was a little too late for k-pop, i was also a super weeb and listened to a lot of visual kei, like Nightmare. 50% for the music and 50% because they looked cool.

i also rooted for Big Time Rush when One Direction was starting to knock them out their modern boyband spot.

1 Like

An '80s kid reporting in. Graduated from High School in 1998.

Some songs I remember from my childhood.

Suzanne Vega, DNA - Tom's Diner - YouTube
David A. Stewart - Lily Was Here ft. Candy Dulfer - YouTube
Guru Josh - Infinity (Official) - YouTube
Black Box - Fantasy (Official Video) - YouTube
Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) (Official HD Video) - YouTube
Roxette - Joyride (Official Video) - YouTube
Guns N' Roses - You Could Be Mine (Official Video HD) - YouTube
Enigma - Sadeness - Part i (Official Video) - YouTube
Paula Abdul - Opposites Attract (Official Music Video) - YouTube
Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy (Official Video) - YouTube
Warren G - What's Love Got Do With It (feat. Adina Howard) - YouTube
Lighthouse Family - High (Official Music Video) - YouTube
Seal - Kiss From A Rose (Official Music Video) + Lyrics (HQ - High Quality) - YouTube
AC/DC - Thunderstruck (Official Video) - YouTube
Madonna - Vogue (Official Video) - YouTube
(^bring back black and white photography)
The Official Hackers Theme Song - YouTube
Deep Forest - Deep Forest Sweet Lullaby official video - YouTube

1 Like

All I read was this and I got such vivid flashbacks to a time where sidekick phones and gshock watches were all the rage! :rofl:

J rock/visual kei and a bit of Kpop, specifically BigBang :rofl: This was back in like 2012, I even remember when BTS debuted and some of the Blackpink girls were doing collabs with the BigBang guys. I eventually phased out of that but I, too, recently rediscovered old Kpop on YouTube Music :rofl:

I still enjoy it when it comes on, even though BigBang has been mired in scandals since then :smiling_face_with_tear: It’s a messed up industry anyway, that was one of the reasons I ultimately moved away from it. But at the time I thought I was cool and special because no one else was listening to Asian music! Now Kpop has become mainstream and I’m sure the others aren’t far behind :joy:

(I am also born in '95 btw lol)

1 Like

The same as my current taste ;-;

1 Like

Yep. '00 grqduate, but should bave graduated in '99. Most of those Id have no problem playing right now.

Smack That by Akon :joy: (Yes, really, but are we surprised?) I was into 50 Cent, Akon, Nelly, Enrique Iglesias, and really everything I shouldn’t have been into back then.

2 Likes

Lol it was a weird time. Disney, which had me in a chokehold since HSM, was in shambles. And so I was in shambles. Miley was causing havoc with Can’t Be Tamed, Demi was in rehab, Selena was the only thing keeping me together on the daily. Also add Rihanna, Coldplay, Gaga, Paramore, Evanescence and the Twilight soundtracks.

In high school I was determined not to be like other girls. I went down a Björk, Kate Bush, Cocteau Twins indie rabbit hole. If you slapped “Dream Pop Mix UwU” on a pile of poo, I would eat it. Also Rihanna released her final album around the time I graduated so there was that… and I still had Skull Candys

Cocteau Twins makes a good background music for writing otherworlds. So does some of Peter Gabriel. The video is classic 80s doesn’t know what to do with itself.

1 Like

Born in '92.

I wasn’t interested in music until middle school and you’re not going to know this one: Ayano Tsuji who did the theme song for The Cat Returns and that’s how I found out about her. Later, a little bit of WaT (a Japanese male duo), and a few J-pop songs here and there.

I started getting more into music from my mom actually. Hilary Duff first because we watched one of her movies and the soundtrack started it. Then Lindsey Lohan again from a movie (song was called First or I wanna come first or something. It was about racing a car).

I liked some songs my mom listened to from singers like Nora Jones, Enya, and Madonna.

But I didn’t really start exploring music on my own until college. I really was not a music kid. I didn’t listen to radio, didn’t watch TV, and none of my family were into any modern music, and I didn’t have friends who were interested either. And I’m an only child, so I didn’t have siblings to influence me either.

Forgot a few…

^From a time when movie previews were worth watching

^One of my first anime films, still one of my favourites. The live-action is rubbish by comparison.

I had been meaning to look up the scat man because there’s a song my kids sing that definately borrows from that.

Omg BigBang! There’s not too many people that know who they are :sweat_smile: Taeyang has always been my favorite. To this day I still listen to his music. My first concert ever was his White Night World Tour back in 2017 :laughing: I actually got majority of my family into K-Pop due to listening to them.

1 Like

Born in 94’ so middle and high school was a mix for me. I listened to everything. English, Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Italian. I was very into anime back in middle school (Inuyasha, Bleach, Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop) so Japanese music was my jam. I was also into kdramas and Korean music between middle and high school. Jonas brothers and RBD were two big groups that were popular too, especially RBD with the latin community.

2 Likes

And he’s the only one who’s kinda come out clean and managed to put out new music while living his life :grimacing: What I really liked about them was their distinct voices and appearances. I don’t know how it is now but I feel like way back then, most Kpop idols used to kinda look and sound the same. And I loved that they were heavily involved in making their own music! True trailblazers, sucks that was ruined.