What would death smell like, if it had a scent? (PLEASE READ BEFORE COMMENTING)

In my story project called Project Summoner, people find Tirrons disgusting and immoral. They see Tirrons as unclean and smell like death.

But what does death even smell like anyway?

Tirrons are a single race madeup of a the dark, eerie, creepy, and macabre things in fantasy, like vampires, necromancers, dark magic wielders, Liches, and plenty more.

So, eventually, I am going to have explain what death smells like to a race that can’t smell death in the first place.

Thoughts and feelings?

4 Likes

@JojoDahlia
@NotARussianBot
@TheTigerWriter
@alenatenjo
@SecretDurham
@J.L.O
@Akje

Care to explain?

1 Like

Like rotting but sweet

2 Likes

Ah, I see.

1 Like

What makes it smell “sweet” though?

2 Likes

fermenting.

4 Likes

Ha!

2 Likes

Like a rotten Apple, both bitter and sweet in smell…

SD

3 Likes

If you have ever struck electrical elements together and sparked them… That acrid smell which bites at your throat… That, with the sweet smell of rotten apples mingled within…

That is what death smells like…

SD

3 Likes

Interesting take this.

2 Likes

People have said that burning flesh smells sickly sweet.

1 Like

As a hunter, I have an answer for this but it’s not for the feint of heart.

Levels of Smells for the Dead

Death has several smells depending upon how fresh the dead is…

Immediate death is iron flavored mixed with a kind of bile smell or the smell of stomach contents.

Fresh dead (Three days’ish after death) has a putrid smell (think things that have been in the refrigerator way too long). Heat makes this smell cloying and sticky.

Old dead has hints of purification but has a mustier smell like soaked leather. It can also smell somewhat rancid like old bacon grease.

I can’t say I could describe it as sweet… none of the carcasses I’ve come across have smelled that way to me.

I hope this helps @Qualeshia12

2 Likes

Something rotted maybe. I smelled rotted food once and it immediately made me queasy and gag.

It’s weird to say this but…thick and greasy. Like the scent itself has a texture that pokes your stomach in an unwelcoming, unpleasant way.

Idk if death is the same.

It’s odd when it’s often described as sweet, but it’s probably not a pleasant sweet. You’re not a zombie, are you? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Overall, everyone has different opinions on the smell of death.

Duly noted.