What's with the slowdown toward the end of a story? :P

So yeah…
I have this weird quirk when writing that as I approach the end of the story I struggle more with the writing. And I can’t say whether it’s because I’m not always fully planned to the end of the tale or whether subconsciously I don’t want to end the story or what.

I’m currently working on Michael: Relations the third in a series of YA Science Fiction books, and I know I only have a few chapters ahead of me before the work is done. I even have the plot point I want to close out the story on… but these last few chapters have been like pulling teeth to get finalized.

Another consideration is that my editing brain overwhelms the creative, get it on paper and worry about how craptacular it is in the editing process brain. I seem to edit as I go which slows things down immensely!

I’m within a few pages of completing this latest chapter and the overwhelming thought from editor brain is “how does this scene forward the theme of the chapter?” RRRRRR…

2 Likes

Hard to end because you don’t want it to…

I’m very much like that, but don’t always want to do a sequel either…

SD

2 Likes

Are standalone novels more your thing or not at all?
Just curious!

Well… I do like a standalone. But I also like follow ups also…

However, if the tale leans towards a sequel, then why not?

The Endurlon is leaning towards a Prequel though… Just because of the histories of the peoples, lands and the Creators their Children of Mara. So much could, and probably should be made into a Prequel Book… Like a Historic Chronology… I’m unsure right now, but I’ve been compiling dates, peoples, and locations to be more coherent in a historic timeline…
So who knows? If I get this one finished, a prequel might be in the works…

SD

1 Like

Not finishing is not letting go, most the time. If people are giving up because they don’t know what to do, it’s almost always in the middle: people tend to have start and finish be concrete and the how to transition is where they get lost: I’m very traditional in this aspect, as well.

But what I find in some movie writers have a great grasp of is leaving a sense of continuing on in their finality. Sometimes if you can show that there is a future to go towards, even if you don’t write that future, it keeps that sense of finality from inhibiting later chapters.

For example: ending of Angel was gearing up for an apocalyptic war that had maybe 10 people to shut close the gates of hell (or whatever the portal was). They know it’s their death. No questions about it. Yet they run in towards the battle for the continuation of this world.

And it just ends there. It allows a finality that there is nothing more to tell, and allows the hope of a future.

At the end of "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country*, Captain Kirk quotes Peter Pan for their course settings at the e d of the movie: “Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning.”

This is an episodic series, and no matter how old the first crew got, people still saw them as continuing to explore the galaxy. Quoting Peter Pan gave notes of the agelessness of their work, and helps gloss over how many of the actors are now dead.

But it was a sense of finality be ause it was the last movie they planned on doing on their own. TNG took over and Generations wasn’t until '94, allowing the original cast to be mostly Cameos, except for Kirk.

This is why I have such a nostalgia for old school endings, where you give a short synopsis of their futures, but recall them to the current ending instead of giving an excerpt of an epilogue some few years in the future. Just a greater sense of continuation and finality, so that way I don’t feel like they are giving up.

2 Likes

Just about to say this. :wink:

1 Like

Midsection can be such a chore. It’s the shift from still heaping big issues on the MC to some sort of start to resolving issues. That transition.

2 Likes

I’m the opposite, I have most motivation at the beginning and end of a story :thonk:

1 Like

Is it possible that you feel the third act of you book has little reason to happen after your protagonist learns their big lesson at the end of act 2? That there isn’t enough of a motivation to keep them pushing toward their goal (and implementing the lesson they needed to learn) now that they finally get what was wrong about their initial way of thinking?
Because I would say just keep writing and figure out that motivation in later drafts.

1 Like

While I would agree with your thoughts upon a lot of stories here (where the writer just seems to give up). It would depend on how much thought has gone into the ending of their tale, and if there is a deep thought to what direction the MC or Pro-Tag is heading in and their utter ending/survival of sorts. Get this right, and it could be the differing between an average book and an excellent book ending.

SD

Well I always thought of this series as a set of four (High school drama with Sci Fi elements so one for each year in the MC’s time in school). So this book is the Junior year, and a bit more dialing toward the mature end of YA (Stronger language, more mature situations, etc.).

So yeah I would say there’s a certain amount of trying to follow the full school year, and at the same time wanting to skip all the boring filler stuff for the main beats and I think that’s another part of where my dilemma is driven from.

2 Likes

Then it’s easy. Skip the boring beats. If the scene is not something your character would share on Instagram, it shouldn’t be in the book. Either remove it or add the special sauce to it, to make it yummy

1 Like