What's your favorite creature to write/read about?

As the title says, what’s a creature that you enjoy writing about, or reading about in fiction? Could be a creature of your own creation, perhaps some eldritch beast, or maybe a lama-cat hybrid, or maybe it’s just your average dog!

Personally am absolutely in love with griffons! I find them a lot of fun to read, there’s something so fantastically mystical and noble (?) about griffons. Haven’t had the pleasure of writing them yet, unfortunately, but maybe soon…?

Excited to hear all your responses <3

6 Likes

I do believe I am drawn to eldritch creatures in the oddest way.

The mystery and how looking at them would drive me insane or render me dead draws so much curiosity from me.

I can’t explain it.

1 Like
  • Dragons! Had the pleasure of writing a novel with them, hoping to do another in the future. I really love how noble and powerful they are (even when they’re evil). I especially love when there’s a variety of dragon types/species with different appearances and powers depending on their habitat.

• Creatures (eldritch or not) inspired by marine animals (crabs, fish, eels, octopi/squid, etc etc.)

• Regular and fantasy horses like pegasi, unicorns, Sleipnir, the water horses from that one novel I read sometime ago, horse hybrid creatures, etc. Always been a horse girl, there’s something majestic about them (though they’re goofy sometimes XD)

3 Likes

Honestly, I just like seeing fantasy creatures/races in places where they’re otherwise not meant to be in or thrust into a world changing too fast for them to adapt. For example, an elf watching as the world rapidly changes due to human intervention, with forests rapidly being replaced by human buildings, wildlife and nature dying out, and magic becoming a forgotten art. How will they adapt? Can they adapt or will they risk dying out and join the many creatures who have fallen to human expansion?

4 Likes

Meanwhile in Frieren: Beyond Journey’s End…

2 Likes
3 Likes

Humans.

4 Likes

Surprising to no one: ghosties.

3 Likes

One day a griffon will come into your imagination and gift you the magical ability to write about their majestic lives. It’s quite a privilege, I hear. Not very many people have that honor, but you just might. Keep your hopes up :grin:

Back to seriousness,

cats.

I like reading books with cats in them. Especially if the MC doesn’t really like cats, or the cat doesn’t like the MC, but they become friends. I also specifically like Pantalaimon in His Dark Materials. He was some kind of ermine or ferret and I thought that was a cool animal companion.

As for writing, cats XD The current story I’m rewriting is about a blue bipedal feline called a Kattaluna. I do like writing about the Kattaluna race.

Here’s an illustration I did of MC Pinti and friends, along with her little sister Tendri

I also like writing stories with foxes, and I do have one story with a fox-human hybrid MC. His name is Scotch. His mother likes butterscotch, so his twin sister’s name is Butter.

4 Likes

They are creatures, so I guess this counts? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Dragons (all types).

Earth, Water and Forest Gods.

Fairies (But not the cute Tinkerbell type).

The stranger they are, and look, the better, but mostly imagined creatures…

SD

3 Likes

Tendri is so precious…

The art style reminds me of when I watched early Adventure Time.

2 Likes

Tendri is adorable. She’s seven. She’s the one who made everyone start saying “pawmise” instead of “promise”. I usually have one character who takes on the role as the adorable/cute one to break up all the seriousness in the story.

2 Likes

Haha! I only hope they come soon! :smiley:

Ahh, this is so cute! I love them <3

I remember hearing and seeing you talk a lot about Pinti, I’m so glad you’re getting back into it <3 such a neat idea, I can’t wait to see what you do with it <3

Foxes are always very cool, sort of tricksome, and neat to look at.

Scotch and Butter are also really clever names, and the color at least somewhat suits their fur XD

1 Like

Same here! I like eldritch creatures for a very similar reason.

There’s something so tantalizing and hypnotic about a visibly disturbing and unsettling creature, but also an explainable one at that. Something about the incomprehensibly unsettling draws me in.

Dragons are such a sick, classic fantasy beast. Always awesome to see them! Plus, who doesn’t love a fire-breathing potentially evil and fun beast?

XD self-admitted horse-girl here too. My grandma lives way up in the mountains near a lot of horse-ranches and we got to go and pet them a lot. Absolutely love them <3.

Unicorns are also really cool. Have loved them since the movie “The Last Unicorn” (which I highly recommend if you’ve not seen it yet!). They’re such a majestic, pure beast, and there’s something so serene about them.

This is such a neat niche! I recently got into a lot of the fantasy/magical-realism books by Holly Black, where fey creatures live side-by-side mortals in modern time. It’s a neat twist, and I like the blend of magical spooky forest people and the modern age.

Have you written any books that feature creatures in a modern world struggling to adapt?

OOaaOO.

Can never go wrong with humans, honestly!

Spooky friends are the best of friends~~~

Fairies are always fun! I play one in one of my DND campaigns and it’s a lot of fun. Plus, there’s so much verity with fairies, lots of folklore that you can draw inspiration from :smiley:

2 Likes

I know. It’s so interesting and yet they are so odd to me. Like it asks so many questions in hindsight.

1 Like

Also allows a lot of room for creative freedom :smiley:

2 Likes

Like your thoughts here with the level of verity, but mine are light beings…

Neither in this world nor their own… Yet, remaining grounded in both… They have not wings like insects, but light ever moving in a splendour woven fabric like patterns which they need not to fly… For indeed they are Elementally bound in all form and power…

Life bringers and takers they are known in Arillion… The Harvesters of the Forests they are, yet little is known of them within the lands and settlements of the Common Folk, just in the whispers of their grace…

But their power comes from a darker place, in another age, from another world… But in Arillion it will be shown in full… When the Day of Decision is nigh, when the Endurlon begins…

SD

1 Like

Thank you!

Pinti’s story is actually in rewrites now, so I’ve been working on it for a while :wink:

Definitely what their mother thought, too :wink:

Their older sister’s name is Taffita, from the word taffy, the candy.

1 Like