What's your ideal living situation?

I’m procrastinating on writing at the moment (despite it being so late—it’s nearly 12:30am lol) so I’m here. What’s new? xD

But I was wondering… if money wasn’t a problem, what kind of house would you want to live in? And where? You can share pictures if you’d like!

For me, I’d love to live in a castle. Or at least a mansion that looked like a castle. :sweat_smile: I want a big house so my family can live with me (whether indefinitely or off and on) and to have different rooms like a giant library, a game room, etc. kind of like Clue. :joy:

^Pretty much something like these.

As for where… well… it’s a mix. I’d love to live in the mountains, surrounded by forests. But then I also want to live on the beach, the ability to look out a window and see the ocean. Perhaps a place where there’s both?

How about you?

8 Likes
My humble list for an ideal home...

-Three storey mansion with a sundeck on the roof
-Flood and bushfire proof exterior
-Hardwood and stone interior
-All hallways, doorways, arches at least two metres wide and three metres high…and deep, low steps…
-Glass-walled lifts for when I’m lazy
-All bedrooms have king-sized beds and their own ensuite
-Private runway with a personalised Bombardier jet and two Spitfires (Mk XIV & Mk VIII)
-Armoury with historical weapons and military firearms (that work)
-Three months emergency food and water supply in cold storage
-Open-plan library / art gallery (that spans the three stories)
-Air conditioned gym about the size of a basketball court
-Sheltered swimming pool with a water pH less than tears (no eye irritation regardless of exposure time)
-A modest wine cellar (only about half the mansion’s footprint)
-A subterranean garage (air conditioned and thoroughly ventilated) for an equally modest car collection
-Photography studio
-A room dedicated to custom computers and simulator rigs
-An acre of camomile and wild flower lawns with lavender and herb garden beds surrounding the mansion. No mowing required. Only plants that attract bees and repeal wasps / hornets / any critters that can harm books and art. Oh, and no messy birds either (e.g. the bin-chicken Ibis).
-Natural stone / gravel driveways
-Independent power generation and energy storage
-A separate studio for crafts, hobbies and building projects (stuff that’s messy, and needs access to open space and fresh air)
-And someone else can clean and maintain it (yes, the staff would have their own rooms)
-No Carpets Anywhere! (they’re dust hoarders)

Where would this be? Somewhere near the tropics, inland perhaps in the mountains, but with easy / quick access to pristine beaches and marinas (need somewhere to park the luxury sailing yacht). And in a country that would allow the above, no questions asked.

More info / ideas to follow

A big house or a mansion.

Some day I plan on making that idea a reality.

A decrepit cabin in the woods in an area with lots of alien abduction stories. That’s it.

4 Likes

I live by myself, so I don’t want a mansion, but I do love the idea of having an old victorian home in the woods to myself. There needs to be lots of gargoyles, creepy statues and topiaries everywhere, and a fancy gothic gate kinda like Stephen King’s Victorian.

Summary

No HOA so I can paint the whole thing purple. Claw-footed tubs, stained glass windows, a moderate-sized garden for the peacocks to roam, and big covered porches are mandatory. If it’s haunted, even better.

3 Likes

Aww, such a beautiful house. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I miss living in the woods. I’d love to live somewhere that has active urban legends and cryptid sightings. Ghosts, aliens, monsters, all that fun stuff. But I don’t want it to be so rural that it’s a dead end financially like the last time I lived in the woods. The local town was a retirement community and there were no good jobs. The people there were more scary than the woods because they were either entitled, mean old boomers, or unpredictable, potentially dangerous tweakers, and there was very little in between. I’d rather live in a small forest town where the people are friendly and nice, but that’s still close enough to the city that I can get help and resources if I need them. Just throw in those local legends as a bonus. People scare me far more than anything else lurking in the dark.

1 Like

Definitely by an ocean shore where I could swim year-round, preferably unclothed, with a garden where stuff grows well. Alternatively, I wouldn’t mind being that guy who lives on cruise ships

A mansion that could house: Separate bedrooms for my future partner and I, as well as a joint bedroom, a floor to house 3-5 kids (I will be adopting 1-3 kids) plus one office each on the next floor, a studio for whoever wants to use it for whatever (art, design, music, youtube etc.), along with a study / office room for our future kids (possibly adopted). Then I would like to dedicate the final floor to an open floor plan with a library, and then the top would have a very beautiful and well-kept roof. I’d also love a big garden surrounding my home to plant trees and hang some swings from the branches of said trees. Preferably, our backyard leads into a forest, where my future kids can make some really cool memories.
And my personal office would have a setup of a design studio with a beast of a PC and I’d get it custom-built and everything, so it would work to both write on and design. I’d also keep a laptop handy for when I’m away from home or if I want to sit somewhere else (gardens/ roof/ library) and write. This laptop could then be something cheap since I wouldn’t use it for too much.
And hopefully this isn’t too far from a major city, but not in the city itself.

Mine is actually the same. Although, I just want a big house because I’ve grown to hate smaller houses and want to be able to run inside my house.

Just a 2 room apartment in La Serena, 80m2 is fine

A tiny home that I could travel in with my kids.

Problem is that would put the roommate out of it because she’s clumsy AF, and can’t handle.claustrophobic spaces, as it is. Hubby would be good with it, as the kids are young.

Those are so gorgeous :heart_eyes: especially the middle photo. The lighting is so perfect! But imagine the electric bill! Yikes. Though if you had the money to live in one of those, the electric bill probably wouldn’t be much of an issue xD

For me? I think a 3 bedroom house with a basement would be nice. It would be cozy and clean, probably with a Japanese minimalist kind of interior, and then I’d use one of the bedrooms as an office and the basement as a martial arts space X3 And I love the idea of living with a partner and having an extra room for if we decide to have kids.

1 Like

The perfect location for me is this. At the top of a forest cliff overlooking the ocean and beaches.

I’d want to live in probably a medium sized house. Something that allows me to have my library, office, a theater, etc. And it wouldn’t be a big deal since I never want kids. That’s extra rooms for me and my husband. I don’t need too much space, but I feel like this view would inspire me to write so many more books.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.