When dealing with a character's strength and weakness, what does it ACTUALLY mean?

In terms of a character’s strengths and weaknesses, is mainly pertaining to a character’s personality traits and overall flaws, skills and abilities, or all of that and more?

I desire to know because I need to understand Isilynor and every other character in this story that are important or semi-important.

Explain a character’s strength and weakness to me.

Thoughts and feelings?

3 Likes

I mean, for example, it doesn’t matter how powerful a person becomes if they still have a crippling fear of needles.

2 Likes

So, it more of a personality traits, fears/phobias, flaws, skills/abilities, and overall anything else pertaining to the character as a person, right?

2 Likes

I assume it’s all that in order to make sure your character’s not a mary sue or an unrealistic saint. Every character should have a sin of some sort to make them human, and some kind of weakness that ensures that there’s conflict in the book. If a character can’t be defeated, it’s kind of dull. ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

1 Like

Your characters strengths and weaknesses should mirror each other. For example, someone who has a strength of being very strong willed would have that flipped on it’s head to be stubborn as a weakness. Or someone that is very pragmatic and logical could struggle with empathy and compassion. For my character, Alma, I made his driving personality trait his curiosity. This gives him the strength of being very intelligent because he pursues his curiosity and knowledge, but also very prone to getting in danger because he doesn’t know when to stop and ends up trying to find out things that would be better left unknown.

2 Likes

So, like a personality trait, correct?
I get it…hopefully.

1 Like

Yes, personality traits are generally considered strengths and weaknesses, just positive and negative ones. Skills are not the same as strengths and weaknesses in the instance of writing. When people ask about strengths and weaknesses in your characters, they generally mean negative and positive personality traits.

3 Likes

Awesome. That is all the information that I need and I greatly appreciate it.

@Akje and @NotARussianBot, thank you both for commenting on my thread I am pleased.

Catch you all later or in my case later tomorrow.

3 Likes

For me it doesn’t mean a damn thing.

Why?

Because any character trait can be made a strength or weakness.

Someone who is loyal to you is a strength.
Someone who is loyal to you, to the extent that they abandon reason is a fault.

It’s just in how you use it.

3 Likes

Yeah those are harder to overcome than physical weaknesses.

1 Like