Who’s doing NaNo this year?

Do a modified word count.

Minimum is 1,666-1,667 words a day, which is a ton for most people.

If your personal goal is 1K words a day, you only put out 30K in the month, which is still impressive…

But 50K has other options:

There’s 4 weekends, that’s 8 days if you work a 9-5. If you only wrote those 8 days, it would be 6,250 words a day.

Doable for some writers, hell on the rest.

But: if you manage your 1K in the 22 weekdays, the weekend 8 would he 3,500 word days. That’s just over 2 sessions of the normal 1,666-1,667…

But let’s say you personally fight for 2K days? That’s 25 days of writing, and 5 days off. To have all 8 weekend days off (some of us doing this with kids)? 2,272-2,273 word days.

But let’s assume the absolute worst: personal goal of 30K, not going to make the 50K, and the 5 day workday is hell to write more than 600 words on? 2,100 on the 8 weekend days.

Only 600 a day is 18,000 words. Still decent.

5 Likes

Yeah it’s good to at least motivate you to get as much done as you can. I have hit the 50k before, the first year I finished a story I only had a couple chapters for and got it to 70k! After that I tried but the story wasn’t working. Gonna do my best again this year, see what happens.

Good luck to you this time! Beating your personal best is still an achievement!

3 Likes

Going to try.

3 Likes

Once I almost wrote 3k in a one hour sprint. :flushed:

4 Likes

Trying is the most important thing.

3 Likes

That why I said it’s possible for some writers? If you’re “in the flow”, you’re going to have a better chance of reaching crazy goals.

3 Likes

THE VANISHING SUMMARY - Google Docs This is the summary for the novel I’m writing. I call it the Wiki Page Summary. Because it reads like a wiki page. But I’m happy with this. And I can create chapter summaries with this. And if needed add to it. It has to reach 50k so I may have to add chapters in the long run or split them into shorter chapters. But I think I can do this. It will also be the first draft. So it will be very interesting.

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t need much planning, but I need something to keep me on track.

2 Likes

Well, my DMs from this go to my email and thereby flash across my screen.

2 Likes

I’m not so sure since I haven’t done it for a while. I’m thinking of a multi-chapter, and each chapter would be related to a prompt (if someone requests some to me specifically) but would relate to the story as a whole. I’m not so sure I can pull it off. Regardless, I’ll give it a try. Hbu?

2 Likes

Cool so if I talk about roasted chicken butts, everyone viewing the screen can see it? :slight_smile:

1 Like

If it’s said right off, I think like the first line shows up.

And I have a 6 year old who can read, thank you. Lmao

3 Likes

:flushed: Oh that’s so cool.

:wink: Smart kiddo lol. Jokes aside, thanks for the heads up.

2 Likes

So organized! :weary: I haven’t done anything much yet.

2 Likes

I’m gonna do it with the least possible amount of planning and see where the words take me!!

2 Likes

Haha!!
I might even write a werewolf story next year. Or use the knowledge I have now, to write it.

I rarely plan or do this much for a story. Like, I just have an idea, characters and that’s it. I don’t flesh it out or anything.

3 Likes