Why do people censor stupid things?

Censoring food is pretty pointless. So is censoring words like “racist” or “abuser”.

I’m only really triggered by disabled person abuse, but I thankfully never see that much online.

1 Like

I agree, they’re pretty cut-and-dry words with nuanced meanings, and I don’t think they should be censored at all. I believe more-so it’s the details of those things that can be triggering, which should be censored. Like, talking about racism is one thing, but if you’re talking about an incident of racism, then it’s a little different.

3 Likes

WOWWWWW

That is next level stupid.

2 Likes

Considering a certain group of people both online and IRL are pushing for downright censoring of ‘everything’, it’s a slippery slope. Hint it starts with ‘W’. As writers, we should push for discussions - in the realm of fairness, of course. But it’s looking pretty 1984 in the US and UK at the moment. Like even mentioning WWII in some spaces is considered triggering? Like, how are we supposed to talk about history when some people won’t even let one discuss it?

I agree with @lowarlo that graphic details and such should’ve triggered warnings. But just mentioning overall topics is too far. And in some cases feels like subtle control over the language. Which I’m not content with.

FYI, I’ve experienced one time too often when I mention one of my former interests (WWII) and woke people from Twitter and else get their pants in a twist. If they can’t face reality, I want absolutely nothing to do with them. This turned to rant, sorry. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That’s really a big bulk of it:

1. People doing it for brownie points aren’t helping anyone.
  2. For those who don’t see a point, brownie point types really push them into avoiding tw.
  3. There isn’t much in the way of explaining the difference between helping out and using it to keep people in their place…because accusations of the latter usually derail into plain anti-tw accusations.
2 Likes

For sure, and I really only meant this for people who don’t really suffer from mental health issues.

In some cases, it feels like infantilizing to a certain degree. Instead of seeing the people who suffered through trauma, and empathizing with their struggle, they derail subject matter so that the “mentally ill smol beans” can’t become triggered by the content. Which is counter-productive.

Had a friend once who I told my triggers to. I trusted them enough with information as why those words are triggering. They acted so nice about it.

Then they went around to some of our mutal friends, acting as some kind of spokesperson for my mental health, telling people details of my trauma I absolutely did not want out.

Kinda felt derrailed and silenced by that alone. It was my problems and my story. I feel like I’m an extremely private person, even begfore the trauma, so it was bullshit. Not to mention, I can handle myself.

When I confronted them on the issues, they tried to avoid talking about it because it would “trigger” me. Super annoying.

Anyway, that’s the type of people I meant.

2 Likes

What makes it fun for me is that my mind is set up around “important” and not. Someone else’s problems aren’t mine unless it’s dire emergency. So, I could be told someone’s triggers, but unless I see that thing as emotionally active right there, it’s not likely to embed itself as “important”, and I will forget.

It’s not a lack of respect, but it’s definitely a hardwiring issue. Have a highschool friend whose acne medicine discolored his skin (so he looks like he is wearing foundation all the time). I asked him about it in highschool and 4 years later in college because it was just his skin, didn’t make up who he was…and was left explaining why it didn’t stick. Now, since we’ve had one “altercation” about me forgetting, I’m not likely to do it again, but if I forget in a few years and ask him again, he might be tempted to smack me for it. Lmao. But at least he knows I don’t define him by it.

But it leaves me either being hyper-sensitive for everyone or just plain not caring at all because I’m not going to get it right. I lean towards it all being futile because walking on eggshells ain’t me.

What all this does, is make me wonder about intent and perception issues between groups of people. The whole idea of “The road to hell is paved with good intentions.” How many times does our own quirks make life more hell for others, and we might be fighting uphill battles to not be like this? And then people have enough taking care of themselves, forget minding others.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.