Why not both in one school setting? (READ BEFORE COMMENTING)

I’ve seen regular schools and/or magical schools.

Anybody knows if there are stories where students can learn to be better skilled at magic AND learn academics both? Not one or the other?

Again I feel like this is a me only thing. :disappointed:

Thoughts and feelings?

4 Likes

@TheTigerWriter
@lowarlo
@NotARussianBot
@alenatenjo
@SecretDurham
@MatthewJH
@J.L.O
@NatilladeCoco

That’s more the realm of mangas. Doable, but just not common in our myopic writing in the west.

1 Like

That hurts me in so many ways…
:weary:

1 Like

There’s times when we oversimplify things into almost trashy.

1 Like

I have a story I’ve paused on like this. I think it only makes sense to teach both because how would it work in real life if the kids can’t read or do math in order to do the spell… Disaster!

1 Like

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for this comment!

Like you can conjure up a spell, but you can’t do basic mathematics or understand vocabulary? How does that make sense?

Why is that? Why is it like that? Fictional people aren’t as smart as we think they are.

1 Like

By the gods, that just suck!

1 Like

I think I have a story on hold in a school setting with both witchcraft and academics, but it’s been a while since I last read it :thinking:

1 Like

@DollyTH

Another annoying thing is that, the magical settings are ALWAYS medieval times or some feudal era where to even get schooling for academics is a bitch of a challenge, while magical schooling is a lesser challenging bitch in of itself.

Like the protagonist would rather shoot magical fireballs than know how to do math problems. This is coming from someone who hates math in school and is stupid about math problem solving in spades, but I needed it.

Maybe I am over analyzing shit and making mistakes, but why can school have it where Karl can learn world history then learn spell casting?

GODS!!!

2 Likes

You don’t see this all the time.
Why is that? Why do you think that is?

1 Like

Yeah, I like to play with current times with technology, not too far in the future and not in the past.

1 Like

Tech on my fictional planet is at least five to ten years more advanced than on Earth.

That’s going to be fun to explore as I do some world building. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Definitely!

1 Like

There’s some reasons we could speculate on

Could be that it’s easier/simpler to write focusing on only the magic stuff

Could be that others find it more interesting to focus on the magic over something more mundane like academics

Could be author preference

Could be that the author thinks the academic part isn’t plot-relevant, so they leave it out or mention it in passing

There’s a lot we could come up with, but it depends on each person

1 Like

That makes sense. I have some school where you learn magic or learn academics, but MOST you learn both.

Though this is all in my mind.

1 Like

You would think they would need to learn other things, right? :stuck_out_tongue: Reminds me of the movie Sky High. I don’t think there was a single scene of regular school. Everything was centered around their powers.

But I can’t say they didn’t learn normal things. Maybe they did and it wasn’t interesting enough to show? We were supposed to assume?

2 Likes

Even in MHA (My Hero Academia) they learn academics at UA high along with strengthening their superpowers, it isn’t showcased enough, but it’s still there.

1 Like

Speaking of magical school, I do have a story where there’s a whole scene that has nothing to do with MC’s powers. It’s for Sorcerers and it’s called Aesthetic Debate class. In order to be a learned Sorcerer, you need to know how to aesthetically debate with someone with the utmost flowery, condescending language :stuck_out_tongue:

So, they get in groups and bring an object to class to prove to others that it’s aesthetically pleasing. If the other group is able to make you speechless, you lose. If you win, you move up to the next round.

MC Cypur is, of course, the absolute master at this.

I don’t even show a magick-learning class in his story. It not being necessary was a big reason though. Cypur had been trying to graduate for a year by the time the story starts, so there is no scene of magick learning because he already got all the grades for that.

1 Like

A mixed academia of both worlds could exist, but much thought would be needed to pull this off…

Magic and ordinary education could exist but it would need a prolific and robust system to hold it in place. To adhere to the laws and realms of which each is bound by in relivent terms of the world in which it would be sanctioned to be of use (magic mainly).

Much thought, but doable in equal measure…

SD

1 Like