Write More By Understanding Your Motivation Style

This can also lead to hurtful stereotypes and undervaluing yourself.

So why insist on labels? Why not just “be?”

Believe me, I agree, to the point of despising then all with a latent rage. Just does me no good. People label because they wouldn’t be people to stop.

2 Likes

That’s fair, and even something I pointed out in the main post.

Motivation styles can change over time and people will often experience multiple styles at once.

These styles are helpful for people who are in the process of building discipline and a writing habit. They might not know how to identify why they’re struggling due to inexperience, and having a simple system of categorisation can help them understand how to proceed. It functions as a list as well, but science communication often works best ‘for the masses’, so to speak, when you can group together scientific observations into specific archetypes people can relate to. Just look at personality. The most acurate type is the five factor model but the general public much prefers to use the Myers-Briggs type even though it’s based on less evidence.

[This isn’t a criticism of your stance by the way, it’s just general frustration at the fine line science communicators need to walk between over complicating the data and accidentally presenting it as rigid labels/ streotypes. It does my head in and is why I write fiction instead of non-fiction :dizzy_face:]

They won’t need this at all once they understand how their creative mind works like you to do, which is great! This stage is when people find it easier to reframe it as a checklist of methods to try when they get stuck. They don’t need to rely on categories they can relate to because they can draw on past experiences to understand why they’re struggling in the present.

3 Likes

Oh we’re definitely more of a Wind Style! We write on and off, and mine particularly likes to write short snappy snippets rather than fleshed out stories.

2 Likes

omg why didn’t you tell me this was your own post??? I thought you just found it lying around on here somewhere.
Look at you go being all wise and stuff, damn!

1 Like