Writing Related Poll!

When it comes to writing a chapter, which of these options seems to give you the MOST trouble overall?

• Starting the chapter.
  • Ending the chapter without a cliffhanger (unless it is needed in a way).
  • The pacing of the chapter.
  • Showing AND telling.
  • Trying not to infodump.
  • Longwinded dialogues and redundancy of narrative.
  • The tenses are messy and confusing.
  • Introducing Characters.
  • Other Writing Relation Problems (explain in the comment section).
0 voters

Choose wisely.

NOTE: Also, the other option can be for the things not listed and/or a combination of whichever options that presents the most trouble to you.

Thoughts and feelings?

3 Likes

@TheTigerWriter
@AMMeyers
@alenatenjo
@Akje
@JohnnyTuturro
@J.L.O
@JojoDahlia
@NotARussianBot
@copyedit
@SecretDurham

Come on over and give it a try. Also, when you vote, explain more about the option you’ve chosen in the comment section. Add some detail to it.

Thanks for answering.

For the showing and telling option, it’s Showing AND telling, properly.
Sorry for that, in advanced!

1 Like

It depends on the day, if I’m honest :thinking:

1 Like

A Tuesday then?

I’m just curious! LOL!

1 Like

What I mean is some days I struggle with pace, some day I struggle at starting a chapter, sometimes it’s pacing, sometimes it’s info dumping, sometimes it’s dialogue. It depends on what my brain is doing

1 Like

Oh, then you should’ve chosen the other option for all of the above then.
Did you choose the other option?

1 Like

Pacing. It’s a topic I’m continuously trying to learn, but always have issues with. xD

• Ending a chapter without a cliffhanger isn’t one I struggle with. Ending a chapter, period, isn’t really an issue. I’m able to find a common ground that feels like a good spot, cliffhanger or not, to end on.

• Longwinded dialogues… don’t do. Not really, I don’t think? But redundant narrative, yeah… that one I’m also struggling on. xD But it’s not that bad.

• Starting the chapter, I find, quite easy. Same as ending it.

• Introducing characters is also an easy one. I think, on this front, it’d be figuring out where to put their descriptions because I sometimes have a hard time finding the right spot where the narrator notes their hair or eye color.

• Showing and telling isn’t that bad for me. I can still use work on it, but I think my main issue is dealing with not enough description in some areas and too much description in others.

• I’ve thankfully improved my tenses. xD It used to be really messy, but now, not so much anymore. I’ve had people comment on small changes, but they’re often words I thought were past tense… In short, the English language is too confusing.

• Info-dumping… not something I have issues with. I mean, not really, I don’t think? In my sci-fi fantasy, it’s been a bit hard not to dump info on the reader while trying to add it in at certain intervals that seem more smooth, you know?

1 Like

I have now :joy:

1 Like

For me it’s style. It’s always style.

1 Like

Yay! That’s good!
Different day, different writing related problem, I see?

1 Like

Yeah, I wonder if I have a writing style that resembles someone. Last time I was told by some questionnaire that it resembles Stephen King of all people. Another one told me someone different, then I gave up doing those things, even if it’s for funsies.

I just know mine is unique.

1 Like

Yup, that’s how it goes

1 Like

I’d say starting is the biggest one.

Where does the story start?

I ask this question to myself so, so many times :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It was Other for me… Due to my writing timeslots and such… Then the LIFE TROUBLES that come alone “Just in time” to fuck it all up for a while as they take president above all else… along with many other things…

SD

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.