But now:
blockquoute in dark mode.
In light mode:

And highlighted button colors in dark mode:

Added new “ranks” page to show all point ranking possibilities:

https://wackywriters.com/ranks/

4 Likes

Poll for users of the Wacky site:

Currently, you have to login to see everything from site activity to reviews to reading books: should we keep it “members only” the way it is now, or open it up so anonymous people can see some of this stuff too?

• Yes, keep it “members only”!
  • No, let’s open it up!

0 voters

3 Likes

Torn, as there’s benefits either way: but growth is best served with being open. If it could be done selectively, perhaps some of the more sensitive things like personal threads and the adult section could remain invisible to those not logged in? Probably more work.

1 Like

I meant the writing site. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh! 40 year old brain is sloooow, some days.

Lmao. Still torn. Just different reasons. Might be nice if there was a toggle for both options. But me personally is what I’ll vote for, officially.

1 Like

A compromise could be public stuff being for all site members / non members and the ‘private’ option for site members only? But then we’d need a third level for the current private where only friends can see profiles…

I voted to keep it members only.

One of the things I like about the Wacky writing site is that it’s harder for people to plagiarize your work. First, if they even want to see your work, they’ll have to create an account. Then they can’t copy-paste your work. If they’re so desperate, they’d have to type out everything that they read. I doubt anybody would go through this amount of effort to go and plagiarize.

If we open it up, I fear that the risk of plagiarism will increase. You won’t need an account to view stories anymore. I don’t know if this is still possible, but what if the lens sites try to copy Wacky too like how they did Wattpad? Aren’t Wattpad stories also open to those with no accounts? And even if lens sites can’t copy Wacky, there are still people online who might use the openness of the site to their advantage. I remember a thread posted a while ago about someone copying another person’s story and posting it on Facebook. Then you have those sites that aren’t lens sites but they also plagiarize other people’s stories. I forgot the name. Posting on Wacky feels much safer with stories being members only.

So those are my reasons for my vote.

If we want to open it up, I suggest maybe a paywall-ish system. You know how some news websites only show part of an article to those who aren’t members? Perhaps Wacky can do something similar, except instead of asking for a fee, Wacky could ask the person to create an account. It’s not foolproof, but I believe it’s much better than leaving everything out for just anyone to see.

Either that, or make an option for writers to make their stories public, members only, or drafts. That way, writers still have some level of control over who gets to view their work.

3 Likes

Reply function for this specific reply is blocked:

I’ve been getting that, too, but with a twist:

I can respond to anyone, but at the same time it says I can’t respond to some generic name: Jeremy? Jason?, giving me a warning. I don’t get it all the time, but it looks like I trigger some programming default, occasionally. Never think to report it because it doesn’t STOP me from what I want to do.

2 Likes

Oh well. Report it next time and move on :woman_shrugging:
I’m glad it’s not just me tho, lol

I’ll add it to my list of things to look into. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m not able to reply other posts on the same topic since then, either. Take your time to get to it, just thought you’d want to know, if it makes a difference in fixing it.

So I’ve taken a look at this and here’s the short answer: site comments are limited to nesting comments 5 levels deep, meaning that if you keep seeing indents on indents on indents, it’ll eventually stop allowing you to reply because nesting that many comments gets messy. I’ve changed this to 10 now, which is the maximum it can go - I’d recommend for now that if you’re having a conversation, especially in a group, just reply to the main topic and tag the person you’re replying to. I’ll look to see if there’s any kind of alteration I can make so that the first reply creates a new nested level but additional replies under that just keep it on the same level so it doesn’t get so staggered.

3 Likes

Ooh okay, makes sense! Thanks!

sorry to ask, is there a tutorial for using the site? I have forgotten how to upload a book, and couldn’t see where I could do this.

I haven’t put one together yet, but I need to. I’ll get to it soon, sorry about that!

Go to your profile and click on the “New :blue_book:” button. Should be to the top right of your other works:

1 Like

Thank you. :heart:

WRITING SITE WILL BE DEPRECATED ON MARCH 1ST, 2023.

1 Like