You got to love magic systems when done right!

I wouldn’t say done right, but rather done creatively and makes sense when the pieces are gathered together.

I LOVE creative and well-done magic systems whether they are simple or a little complex.

What about you all? Which media has your favorite magic system?

What is the magic system like in your fantasy or science-fiction story?

Lend me your thoughts!

3 Likes

I like to study actual magic systems in the real world, and I think that the whole field of Ceremonial Magic is inspiring for any storyteller.

1 Like

What are some of your favorites? Have you used those favorites in your novels and other stories?

1 Like

I always loved the magic system in the Heir Chronicles by Cinda Williams Chima. It was simple and easy to follow yet could do such complex and creative things. I’ve actually been rereading them - I didn’t realize just how much my writing and story-telling style was influenced by those books until now. It’s really incredible how long my 8th grade obsession has stayed with me. They have their flaws, of course - like, the author was never good at writing endings - but reading them has been a blast since they’ve been reminding me of why I enjoy writing so much and why I started in the first place.

I’m pretty sure you’ve all heard me passionately ramble about my magic systems plenty of times, so I’m going to pass on the second question so you don’t have to read it again :joy:

2 Likes

I have two books written by her. The Demon King and the Warrior Heir.

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I think that my favorite is runic magic, I remember a story where a mom sewed a protective rune into her son’s undergarmets to protect him from iron weapons.

1 Like

call me biased but my favorite magic system is my own called Essence since i have been finetuning it for like seven years now loL
even has a 20 page textbook that i spent countless hours writing… so i think im allowed to be a bit biased after all that work :ragejoy:

3 Likes

Wow! That is serious dedication!
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have such things in my story, and blood magic too. Yet, I’m also working on elemental magic and powers sourced from the living world, and drawn upon with mythical arts from another world all-together.

SD

2 Likes

I usually don’t care about the details of a magic system as long as the story is interesting :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t have a preference or favorite or anything.

The magick systems in my stories are…I think soft magick systems? Usually it revolves around something elemental. Specifically, I like exploring opposing elements like water vs fire, light vs shadow, or whatever. Also, usually involves some ancient object like gems.

1 Like