AMA about 1890s England and the lore around it...

hey peeps.

i’m writing a historical fantasy novel, and to help me with worldbuilding, i’d appreceate it if you could ask me anything about this world. this is set in 1800s Great Britain in England, with a heaven and hell (like in the Bible) attached to it. the story takes place mostly in the real world, with the villain being a demon from hell named Lupina and the protagonist bieng a sociopathic angel named Heliox. so far idk his position in the real world and the villai (Lupina’s) position. all I know is that Lupina wants power, and Heliox is using his supreme inilect to stop her.

so, ask me anything. you might learn something cool and new :)))

2 Likes

Is Victoria the queen? Or is there some other monarch? Or none at all? And if so, does that impact the story in any way? Are any other famous people going to make an appearance? ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

1 Like

oooh, good questions.

no. this is the Edwardian period, where King Edward VII was in power :slight_smile: otherwise it would be called the Victorian era.

it impacts the fashion sense of the people, and maybe the way people see women, and def the way people see mental health. other than that I can’t think of anything much, which is problematic imo…, do u have any ideas?

originally not but I might, now that you give me the idea… hm :eyes: I might just have Lupina plan a coup on the King.

1 Like

Edward VII ascended to the throne in 1901, though. Anything 1890s is quite Victorian indeed :slight_smile: And the fashion differs significantly, even though the two “eras” are barely 10-15 years apart.

2 Likes

oooh yeah thanks for correcting me.

1 Like

So are you settled on the 1890s, or some other period in the 19th century? Where in England is your story taking place? :blush:

2 Likes

1890s England is well after the time of England that I use for inspiration for my magical realism story (1820s). Were telephones quite common by the 1890s? Even in normal households? Or were people still using telegrams?

Also, what was the most common middle-class job for ladies?

What about labor laws? Were children still working in factories or had that stopped by then?

I also want to know the meal schedule. So, breakfast…and then?

Did upper class or royal people have to change multiple times a day like afternoon clothes, and evening dresses and stuff?

2 Likes

Is it not steampunk at all? Just an alternate history where magic exists during that time period…and other things?

2 Likes

I recently read an extremely queer book set in the nineties! Defs seems like a very fluid time.

1. What are gender politics like? Do women have the vote in advance of our world?
  2. How’s the British empire doing? IIRC at this time in our world they were fighting to colonize Africa.
  3. What’s the literary scene like? What sort of books are being published? IIRC Sherlock Holmes started in the 1890s in our world.
1 Like

i’m settled at around 1890-1900.

it’s in London.

2 Likes

yeah. it’s got angels and demons and a god and a Satan.

1 Like

god and satan are both women btw.

2 Likes

Candlestick phones were popularized throughout the 1890s to the 1930s. The candlestick phone was separated into two pieces: a mouthpiece that stood upright (“the candlestick”) and a receiver, which was placed in your ear when you were placing a phone call.

this was in normal households, though telegrams were probably also still used.
credit: History of the Telephone | From The 1880s To Current Time

typists and telephone operators :slight_smile:

i assume not. the industrial revlolution had long since stopped, and reforms had been made. so progress had happened.

lunch and dinner, maybe a snack. same as us.

yes, definitely, it was a way to show status and wealth. there were different dresses for morning, evening, and night, and for balls and opera and theatre.

2 Likes

Good grief :sweat_smile: I bet they had large closets and I bet they rarely wore the same thing as last year.

Do you know what the upper class did with clothes they could no longer wear?

2 Likes

yes :joy: they also had fashion trends, like we do. so they also had to accomodate that.

second hand was thriving in victorian England. you could easily buy and sell clothes or sell them secondhand for the fraction of a price of getting new ones. they could also give them to the poor.

I could ramble about Victorian and Edwardian fashion for ages :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Back with another question:

What did people do for fun?

2 Likes

theatre and opera are really populr during this time. it’s like going to parties in modern days today.

1 Like

What about the poor? What did they do for fun?

1 Like

they were too busy working to do anything, from what I understand.

1 Like