šŸ¤Æ Any other AI art addicts here? šŸ¤Æ

I just bought about 100 credits for NightCafe and experimented with portraits for two of my main characters. Still far from the desired results, but hereā€™s the best of what I have so farā€¦

Freyja: (needs olive skin (Israeli), and a muscular / athletic build)

Krista: (needs a red jacket, swept / angular features, and light blue eyes)

And Iā€™m having zero luck creating a basic image for my other main character Dov (a former Australian commando). Should probably look for other AI programs, or an AMD graphics card-friendly variant of Daz 3D (major computer upgrade required though).

Update: Just made this Dov portrait with a simple descriptionā€¦

ā€¦freshly tanned from Afghanistan.

2 Likes

You might have to photoshop these images later to get the exact specifics

"Young Woman Muscular Build Olive Skin Brunette - made with @NightCafeStudio

#aiart #nightcafe #digitalart

I put the basic description of Freya into Nightcafe and put it to Artistic Portrait because I think that Nightcafe is better with art than photos.

1 Like

I would also recommend adding ā€œIsraeliā€ to the prompt to help with skin tone and facial structure.

I use artistic portrait as well.

1 Like

Decided to experiment with some AI art for my legacy characters. First up, Yasmine, an Israeli-Bedouin assassin.

Almost perfect first attempt. Just missing jade-green eyes, black body suit, and a Star of David branded on her left cheek.

Another attempt, same character.

The AI confuses green with blue for some reason. Could be the basic image for another character though.

2 Likes

It might be some problems with lighting there. It is strange but AI doesnā€™t have real world experience so you have to train it to give you certain details. I saw a video where a guy had to train it to use swords and if it was given too much freedom it would make weird stick metal abominations that look like youā€™re having a stroke.

Nice.

Eyes are easy to fix in an editor. You might have to create those little details on your own.

1 Like

My attempts with creating a Krista profile pic.

^Ideal except for the giraffe neck.

^Also usable, just needs a permanent tan (life in the Negev desert).

For some reason the NightCafe AI is more adept at creating female portraits than male, at least for my character descriptions.

2 Likes

I might play around with Photoshop or Luminar AI laterā€¦Acquired a software batch yesterday from Humble Bundleā€¦A more adventurous / expensive alternative would be to upgrade my camera equipment, travel to Israel, and (very politely) ask some relevant soldiers for their photos.

2 Likes

The first one looks like Britney Spears

I think that Wombo AI only likes to be avant-garde art pieces, not decent illustrations:

1 Like

:rofl: the prompt.

How about this one?

1 Like

Better. A lot better.

I already edit what I get from there. All it does is save me from having to decide ā€œwhose art ot stealā€: mostly free art in the first place, or too old to be copyrights. I donā€™t deny where things come from, as long as I can remember them. AI just makes that easier.

2 Likes

Yesterday I played with inpainting Ianā€™s image to turn it from square to portrait. Hereā€™s my findings.

This was the starting image šŸ¤Æ Any other AI art addicts here? šŸ¤Æ - #236 by Kamiccola

The verdict is in, Dalle2 is great for inpainting as it can take an upscaled image and you can little by little add to it and in the end you end up with an already upscaled image.

The drawback is that if you use a large image to start with, then the inpainting area is tiny (like a tenth of the image in the case of the 3k image I was working with). So not only it takes a lot of credits to finish, it also takes very meticulous prompt. By that I mean, if AI canā€™t tell what the starting image is (and it canā€™t when itā€™s that large), then it can make mistakes and give poor results.

So for example, I wanted to add more image above Ianā€™s head, maybe add to the supernatural mood. His head is cut off, right? So I put in the prompt, portrait of a young man magic swirl spectral oil painting.

Result: it added a tiny man on top of his head. :face_with_peeking_eye:
Why? Because the inpainting area was so tiny that it couldnā€™t tell that there was already a man in the picture.

So I had to be careful with the prompt. In the end, I created something (I could post it later when I get home) but I wasnā€™t 100% happy and all out of credits.

So I went back to NightCafe and tried their inpainting.

Drawback is that I think it lowers the quality when you upload an upscaled image but it can be upscaled later anyway.

So with NightCafe inpainting is done by creating a mask on an existing image. Itā€™s all done at once, not little steps like in Dalle2. So I was able to try a few times and with a few different prompts. In the end, I probably used only 5 credits or so until I was happy.
I might try again later but for now it will do.

So all of this effort was to create a new cover (in Canva).

1 Like

Needs more work then* :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
My first attempts of guiding art AI with photos didnā€™t have much success. But maybe its worth another shotā€¦Or maybe add a stop-over in Germany to my future prompts gathering trip to Israelā€¦

*Bernard: ā€˜The Opera House looks like a carpet store.ā€™
Sir Humphery: ā€˜The architect was given a Knighthood so no-one would ever say that.ā€™
~Yes, Prime Minister.
(or Yes, Minister. I donā€™t remember, but recommend both)

2 Likes

Iā€™m dying. :laughing:

I spent all this time in the editor putting my characters together so that I could try inpainting them together. Lots of fails (it doesnā€™t handle the challenge well) and then this happens.

I am legit inspired to make covers like that now.

1 Like

Maybe with AI art we will finally see an end to the current fiction cover craze nonsenseā€¦

3 Likes

First draft of the main (title) character from my first novel.

Ashley Azaria, full albino (missing white eyelashes).

2 Likes

I gave up asking AI to do it for me. It took me hours in the editor!
But it was worth it.

2 Likes