As a writer, would you rather have a large desk or small desk?

Well, what would you like to have far as desk size? Something large or something small?

Tell me, which one do you prefer?

My Turn:
I LOVE, LOVE a large spacious desk with plenty of storage space!
Small desks bother the hell out of me…personally.

What about you all???

NOTE: If you could afford it and if you had the space, which one is suitable for you? Even lap desks and lap tables come in various sizes, which do you still prefer?

2 Likes

I have one that fits all my music needs and I am happy enough with it.

2 Likes

That’s good.

Is there space for writing or purely music only? Just curious.

1 Like

the aesthetic of a large desk is way better and if it has shelves and stuff then you get all that storage. But… i’m always waaaaaay more productive at writing with a tiny desk, just big enough for notebook and maybe coffee cup.

2 Likes

So, is this desk more to your liking or meh?

It’s small and has plenty of storage space. That’s a bonus, right?

Pretty much purely music lol but you can write on a notebook on it.

1 Like

That is good.
Quick question: Do you own a laptop, desktop, or both?
I ask this because I wonder where you type at exactly.

Sorry if I am being nosey.

2 Likes

Depends on what you consider large or small.

I would like space for a desktop, space to put stuff on my right and on my left. When I lived in a dorm, I didn’t have that kind of space, so most of my stuff ended up dusty on the floor which wasn’t ideal, but you use what you got.

2 Likes

Show me some pictures and I will tell you which I find small or large.

1 Like

Maybe later :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Alright :+1:

1 Like

I prefer large desks so I can hold a drink, candles, and decorations.

My current one (though I don’t typically write on it much anymore lol) is decently sized, which is pictured below (old photo, by the way).

But it comes with two shelves—one on the top that I use for books (obviously) and one on the bottom that I use for storage. The other shelves on the side I use for decoration.

When it comes to small desks or small spaces used for desks, I have a few requirements:

1. It needs to be big enough to hold my laptop. My laptop is quite big—the screen is 15 inches if that gives you an idea to its size. I need something that can at least hold it. I have written on pillows and TV trays, but sometimes it’s a bit hard to use on TV trays. :sweat_smile:

2. It needs to be high enough for me to use, or the chair needs to be leveled with it. I sit at coffeeshops to write, too, and their tables and or chairs can be uncomfortable or are at awkward heights. Like, if I write at Starbucks, they have super low tables with normal sized chairs. :upside_down_face: It’s not comfortable at all. The locally owned coffeeshop I normally go to have high tables, but low chairs. It’s a little better than Starbucks, but their chairs are also uncomfortable so it’s :-1:

3. If I’m buying a desk, specifically a small one, it needs to be decently priced. I’ve seen small desks (brand-new or bought online) that have a wild price range. Some can be decently priced or at least reasonable while others seem like it’s overly priced. So when looking for a desk to buy, I not only look at what it looks like but its price as well because that can be a huge contributor to how I feel about it. My desk isn’t as large as others, but it’s also not small. I bought it from Amazon for a little over 120 dollars which to me is a steal because I’ve seen some that were similar for well over 200. And because of the bookshelves and extra space, I definitely think it’s a great deal. My sister has a desk in her room that she found here in town (someone was selling it) for roughly 100 or so dollars, but hers is significantly smaller. It’s a normal desk with drawers, and it’s cute, but I wouldn’t have bought it unless I was in a smaller room. Fits perfectly in hers, though, since she has a bigger bed. xD

But yeah, personally, I prefer large desks though I don’t always use them. xD

1 Like

Both but the computer is used to make music on because it has more connections.

1 Like

I need a big desk, and I’ve got one! We bought a dining room table at Walmart years ago for less than $100 and I use that as a desk. It’s too small for a dining room table, and we already have a dining room table anyhow, but it’s perfect for a desk. I have floor speakers that are almost as tall as the table, so I put those on either side with a plank of wood across the tops, and it’s the perfect ergonomic height for the keyboard and mouse. ٩(˘◡˘)۶

2 Likes

Ah, okay.

1 Like

That is really cool.
I love large desk tables!

1 Like

Big. To the naked eye, I look an unorganized mess. But to my own keen eyes, I am perfectly organized (/s). This “organization” requires a big space in which everything is in my eyesight. If it’s stuffed away in a drawer or filing cabinet, it doesn’t exist to me.

Object permanence.

2 Likes

Large desks are a must. I like being able to spread out my notes, maps, and books without the sense of being cluttered / crowded.* Also great for scale model building too. Ideally, I’d also have a standing reading / editing desk. Prolonged sitting is awful for one’s health.

A few pics for reference

A roll-top desk would be great, if it never had to be moved (quite heavy from memory).

More pics

*I suspect that once I resume traveling, and acquire a dedicated study / reading room, then any empty desk or bookshelf space will soon be claimed by models, souvenirs, camera lenses, and anime figures. Nature abhors a vacuum.

2 Likes

I prefer writing in an armchair on my tablet, but for editing I like small desk to fit laptop. I don’t like things.

1 Like

Large. Even when I have a large one, I still need a bigger one :joy:

2 Likes