Ask my opinion on things? [even philosophical things or silly things]

I know :blush:

Disabled teens in anime? Really? But I wonder who that anime is for.

A lot of anime, I think, is actually marketed toward outside Japan and inspired by things outside Japan, so they cater to the foreign audience more so than the Japanese audience. Actual Japanese anime made for Japanese people, like some of the old, old Japanese animations, I find to be more genuine. Once Japan realized they could just make anime with a foreign lens from the start so it translates easily, they all gravitated toward that, is how I see it.

Slice-of-life anime, I don’t recall seeing much diversity. Have you ever come across anime where the special needs character is the hero or main character? Not the token side character with a stereotype? That’s what I’ve seen. Even seen them as the villain’s side-kick :grimacing:

See, I don’t watch a lot of anime, but a lot of it is based off of manga and some manga I’m familiar with. I can’t recall any with a special needs character as one of the main characters (or any manga that even touched on special needs topics). I do know most protags in anime are thin and have hair color and shapes so wacky it goes against the laws of the school attire and gravity :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not even Japanese culture anymore, honestly.

2 Likes

You will get tired and a day is long. Definitely, you can go for both.

At some point, you’ll have to stop at a local restaurant for a break. If you have a friend living in an apartment in Japan, you could experience apartment living or something, idk :stuck_out_tongue:

Eat the real ramen. There’s a ramen place called Ippudo which is really good :yum:

If you like sushi, a sushi place would be good. Go eat all the Japanese things that tourist sites tell you to eat.

1 Like

Yuuni Yuuka is a Hero

1 Like

Which character?

Nvm, I found her.

2 Likes

@NotARussianBot

So, she’s initially wheelchair bound. Ok.

I read her fandom wiki and it sounds like, idk, but they used this wheelchair character as like a sympathy moment. A gimmick, if you will, and when they make her stand, it’s like “yay” to everyone or something.

If they wanted to create a special needs character, shouldn’t the character not be able to stand? Isn’t that representation? (it’s like saying disabilities must be cured or can be quickly overcome :sweat_smile: But that’s not the case. You can represent, but you can’t just have representation without accuracy or at least some discussion, or can ya? Obviously, you can…get away with it :stuck_out_tongue: )

a tiny rant of a romance short story manga thing

Reminds me of this manga romance story about this girl who suffered from a traumatic experience of her father giving her a pet rabbit, then out of anger, he takes it away from her telling her she’s not good enough which causes her to lose her voice. So the entire story is about this mute character…who, you guessed it, falls in love with this boy who is nice to her, and at the end, she says “thank you” and is cured! Able to speak again! Yay!

I didn’t think much of this story at the time but looking back, that really minimizes the disability. I mean, it took a cute boy crush to instantly cure her of her mutism. She can now speak. The power of love and friendship and all that. I think she should have not spoken if you really want to show disability, you know?

Ugh, media.

This is all my opinion, to reemphasize.

You can tell I feel some way about how Japan treats its special needs citizens.

1 Like

There’s a bit more going on than just sympathy.

Essentially, all of the magical girls become phsyically disabled over time, as they are effectively immortal. In the end, Yuuki is able to undo the curse and undo all of the damage they were inflicted as a result.

There’s one magical girl who is effectively bedridden and worshipped as a goddess.

1 Like

Oh my gosh. Undo the curse, huh? Happily ever after?

What do you feel about that? Do you feel “yay representation!” or “what the heck is this thing?” or something else?

1 Like

It was an unnatural affliciton. Magical problems require magical solutions.

And, as they say, after flowers bloom, they die soon after. I’m happy they undid the curse because the last thing I wanted to see was all of the girls effectively becoming hospitalized for the rest of their lives.

1 Like

Not to derail the thread but diversity is also a diversity of thought and values. And culture and not just putting a brown skin on some random American

3 Likes

What if you were to rewrite the story for special needs representation in your own way? Would you change anything or not so much?

I guess I want to know what a special needs anime would look like if it were to accurately represent people with special needs in a way that is educational and respectful?

I’m not special needs, so I can’t say anything about that.

What would you say?

1 Like

True :blush:

3 Likes

True. You think most of Hollywood and American media knows that much?

2 Likes

I would make Togou’s parapalegicness(for lack of a better word) a result of an accident, not a magical curse. She is at risk of losing even more of her bodily functions as she goes on, which deeply horrifies her.

1 Like

On something a lot more light-hearted, do you know about Blue’s Clues?

1 Like

Ooooh, I didn’t read everything in her fandom wiki. So it was a magical curse!

I thought it was an accident.

Well then,

I would read this story.

1 Like

YES :grin:

1 Like

If you want to feel as if you are going insane, they made a movie about Blue and Josh (the newest host) going to New York, meeting the previous hosts, and also it is directed by a music video director. The editing and cinematography is bizarre. Like, Battlefield Earth, bizarre.

1 Like

I wonder at times.

1 Like

Yeah, you got to wonder about that at times.
:slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I know they know. You can tell by how they go out their way to get rid of dissenting voices without consistently policing their own that its pretty malicious.

notnmesnt to be a politicsl rant

Just one mame Harvey Weinstein. This isn’t a debated person, where you swear that half of America is delisional like one half for the curent president or one half for the previous. This is someone you hear little to no support for right now, lo g after things have died down (and too many people came forward so msny years later).

But overall Hollywoord doesn’t continue to talk about him and root out those who are his possible accomplices becauee its accepted as a normal part of Hollywood: this is why Terry Crewes has been assaulted. Its why Brendan Frasier has been assaulted. This is an indicatiom that they don’t go after just weak victims because they have entrenched power that’s hard to touch.

It doesn’t mean that indivudals arent indoctrinated and blind, but it’s definatwly a systematic predation.

So this system definately gets rid of ideology that threatens their base.

2 Likes