Can someone ask me questions, because I need help understanding things?

Aside from the short story anthology that is going to be seventeen (maybe) chapters long, I wanted to plan for a standalone (also maybe) novel.

Okay, so help me out with this.

Alright diving more deep into this, inside the world that the novel is set in world where there are five seasonal continents. Each continent weather is based on the season that it is in. For example: it is winter all year long in the winter continent.

However, there is one thing that I have been thinking about. The season continents are ridiculously brutal and no living human being can within the harsh climate and weather. Which is why nonhuman beings exist on such a planet long after humanity fell. Yes, humans lived on the planet but couldn’t survive. But before humans died out they’ve created a new species that was able to adapt to the harsh weather climate and environment.

Some continents are worst than others far as how harsh the weather is.

Still, these nonhuman beings are existing in a world that has long forgotten humanity and has decided to create their own system of living.

So far the novel is in the planning stage, but even so I need help figuring out where I would like to go with this story.
There is more behind the reason for humanity’s fall.

What are your thoughts and questions?

1 Like

So the entire world is the Grand Line? :wink:

Really clever idea, but you may need to research about what adaptations animals and plants have in harsh enviroments.

3 Likes

Seasonal Continents… Think about Earth, and how the poles are harsh and cold, and the Equator is brutally hot where large land masses are (North Africa for example). Then ask yourself how there will be “five” differing continents, and where they will lie upon your planet.

Next up is the Land Mass… Small Islands upon the Equator can still be cooler than some places of North Africa, or Death Valley for instance. So size is important here, and the shape of the land. The Gulf Stream keeps parts of Europe warm in winter, and cool in summer… So you might want to look at tidal effects too.

Oh, there is so much to think about here. Mainly because of your Seasonal Continents. Stuff like:- Does one landmass pass through more than one seasonal zone? What type of Fauna, and Flora to consider for each Biome that you create. At altitude deep within the hot continents, do the mountains have snow caps? Or is it too hot? So much to consider with this one…

I like where you’re going with this, I really do. The dying out of humanity, the lifeforms which continue to survive, and the idea of the differing Seasonal Continents is quite appealing to me. But there are a lot of factors to think about before you put pen to paper.
I can only hope that this helps to direct you further into the crafting of your world and beyond.

SD

2 Likes

Look at what grows in each evironment.

For example, Nebraska is a desert, and we grow our grains there. The Sahara is also a desert, but little grows there–except it used to be very fertile land. In Israel, they use a drop method of farming that keeps the plants hydrated in an arid environment.

2 Likes

This seems like the set up for great world building, but you don’t have a story here. At least nothing you’ve mentioned. Unless you want to tell how exactly humans declined and died out. But that seems more like a backstory than the makings of a novel. You’ve got to find a plot you want to follow with it and introduce characters into it. Do you have any character ideas yet? What their goals might be in such an environment? Would the environment even effect those goals, or is that just the world they live in? If you want the world to be a significant part of the story, I’d suggest tying it into the plot somehow.

3 Likes

Not at the moment. I am still brainstorming.
However, I would like to focus on a character fighting for survival while searching for someone or something.

Survival?

A little of both.

One Piece, huh?
I would have never thought of that. LOL!

One thing’s for sure is that the story is set on an fictional planet where there are five seasons. Still, research is key and would have to look deeper to figure out what the hell I need to jot down.

1 Like

I am having trouble with the fifth season. I was thinking of a continent where it rains constantly both daily and nightly all year round. Yet, I wasn’t totally sure.

So, look at Earth to get ideas for my season continents on my fictional planet?

2 Likes

Interesting,

Thinking about it I wanted to make it so the nonhuman being that humanity has created can survive without food and water for a very long time. They aren’t robots, but they aren’t human either. I am unsure of what they might be.

Right now, I have no clue with plant life and animals should exist in such a planet.

1 Like

Camels for lack of water. Grains growing off Lazarus plants.

2 Likes

Perhaps if you are thinking of doing a sci-fi route, you could have a human rediscover the plannet by crash landing there. They could slowly unveil the mystery of how humans once lived there and died out, while also surviving the harsh terrain and having to learn how to interact with the native species. Maybe they came there on purpose to study something or look for someone, or maybe they landed on accident due to ship malfunctions. Or maybe one person crash landed while another came to find them specifically, and the goal for one is to survive while the other person’s goal is to reunite with the first person and bring them home. Those are just some ideas I have.

When you introduce the races still living on the planet, it adds a whole new dimension. Are they advanced or more primitive as a society? Or are they more like animals? How would they interact with human characters being introduced to their planet again? Would humans be legends among them? There’s a lot to consider with a storyline like that.

1 Like

I was thinking of going for the science-fiction route as well.

Seriously, though, I am going to have to think more on this story. As of right now, I am going to stick with the short story anthology.

I still have to play around with the novel thing.

1 Like

That’s totally fair. Taking things one step at a time is reasonable, and if you want to just put this idea on the back burner, there’s nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

Sorry for the later reply and thank you very much.

Can you imagine what the oceans would be like?

1 Like

Pretty much… Earth has four seasons, the fifth seems quite out of reach for me. I have no idea what it could be, nor could I even begin to think of one.

The raining constantly would have to be perpetuated from warm wet winds crossing vast oceans, swirling around the land mass from a few differing directions, plus a static low pressure spot (which may be unfeasible, but I’m no weather person). It would probably have a Hurricane effect over the land constantly, if it is possible. Think Skull Island from Kong films, but with rain falling unending upon the lands… Is that a season, or a weather phenomenon?

SD

2 Likes

Monsoon, which doesn’t always follow a legit season, here.

2 Likes

So, having a rainy season on some fictional planet where the weather/seasons are brutally harsh isn’t the way to go?

I’m not saying it is not. But it seems more like a weather pattern than a season, even though there are Monsoon Seasons where over a period of time there could be many Monsoons.

It might actually work for your story. So dive in and give it some thought.

SD

1 Like

No, but there are Monsoon Seasons. So I guess it could work by having a perpetual Monsoon Season without end.

SD

1 Like