eBooks... your opinions?

Personally for me I LOVE eBooks, but also I’ve gotten super used to reading books on a screen. I like the thought of having all my books on one platform, though with manga I need the physical copy.

What are your thoughts on eBooks? Do you like them? Hate them? Think their practical?

7 Likes

They need to be easier to pirate

2 Likes

There are some websites for that :joy:

1 Like

Yeah, but I can’t really share them with a friend easily, like you can with a book.

2 Likes

If given the choice I’ll go paper any time, but ebooks are soooo convenient. The library closest to me isn’t great, super small, so the libby app has been my savior for the past few months.

2 Likes

Libby app yes!! I love that app so much! eBooks are super convenient, which is another reason why I love eBooks c:

1 Like

My kids are still in the destructive phase. I like real books, but am practal.

2 Likes

If it’s 300 pages or under I don’t mind e-books but if it’s longer I refuse to read it through that format. At that point if I don’t want to spend money to buy the book I’ll use Libby to get the audiobook.

I signed up for a library card online earlier this year and still haven’t gone into a library to get it to where I can borrow actual physical books yet. I’m going to force myself to do it sometime next month though as there’s quite a bit of manga I want to read that my library only has physically. And I doubt the place I’m moving to within the next four months will have much manga at their library.

2 Likes

While I understand the popularity of them, they’re not for me. I’ll only read an E-book if I can’t find a physical copy or don’t have enough money for the physical copy.

I prefer physical copies because…

1. I like having a book in my hand, turning the pages, the smell of it, the feel of it… I enjoy being able to read it at any time I’d like as opposed to on a mobile device that requires a battery charge.

And…

1. I want to build my own personal library. For people who don’t have a lot of space or enough money to buy a physical book, an E-book is great. But while I don’t have much space (just my room), I have enough space to build a small library. Eventually, I’ll be able to move into a bigger home to add more space, but overall, I want to see my books on the shelf. I want to display them, and one day, I wish to own a massive library with dozens of shelves.
4 Likes

I only read ebooks these days since they’re so much cheaper than paperbacks when you get them as Kindle Daily Deals or Bookbub discounts. Ebooks never have shipping or handling fees, and you get them instantly.

Not to mention it disturbs me that the earth loses 15 billion trees every year, and since the dawn of human civilization the global number of trees has dropped by roughly 46%. ヘ( ´Д`)ノ

2 Likes

I don’t read ebooks, mainly because I spend too much time on screens right now (I don’t have a kindle either). I do love the feel of paper books, and especially when the power goes out. But I don’t know, maybe someday I might give in. :rofl:

2 Likes

Ah yeah I can see where eBooks would be more practical with kids around lol

Libraries are really good for that reason! I haven’t gone to a library in so long, I really need to go and borrow some books.

With this I want to build my own personal manga library, as I do like mangas in their physical form - and the idea of having a manga shelf is enticing to me.

Exactly this! And the fact that I can save some shelving space by having them on my device, which I really like as well.

I don’t have a kindle, but use my iPad and the kindle app. So I guess technically I do have one, but not an actual kindle?? I have some physical books - Dear Evan Hansen I have as a hard cover book, but a lot of my books are back at my sisters place and I need to go grab them xD

4 Likes

I prefer ebooks cuz i literally don’t have any space in my room anymore for actual books. i’d rather have hundreds of books on my ipad rather than hundreds of books taking up space in my room.

only time i’ll ever buy a physical book is when i wanna support my friends and buy their books in all formats.

4 Likes

If I’m being honest the main reason I want to be able to borrow books physically is because my library has all the volumes of Barakamon and I want to try out the manga before I decide to dive into collecting such an out of print series. It just finished in 2020 but it’s published by Yen press so yeah :weary:.

I know this isn’t a reply to me but SAME. I want to have a manga/graphic novel library and then a normal library as well. For some reason I can’t see having them being combined once I get my own place.

2 Likes

I rather listen to a book than read it.

2 Likes

Yeah that is a good way to see whether or not a series is worth it, or a book is worth it. Libraries are super helpful for that reason!

Idk why but for some reason I would rather have “regular” books as eBooks while having my manga library because I know I might reread those :eyes:

Audio books are fun as well!

3 Likes

I’m a physical book person. I like the price and convenience of ebooks but I just can’t do them. I have an eye condition that makes it incredibly difficult to read anything long on a screen, even screens designed for it (literally everybody tells me to try them and I promise they make absolutely no difference to me.) That and I just like the feel of having an actual book. The weight and smell and the sight of overflowing bookshelves.

2 Likes

Ebooks are not for me.

I’m dyslexic and block text on screens is nigh unto impossible (thus my message formatting, actually).

So ebooks are, by their nature, very difficult for me to read.

I’ve tried dyslexia friendly fonts and whatever, but like- When you get that much text together on a screen, my brain just stops seeing letters.

So, yeah. Super convenient and all, just… Not for me.

1 Like

Thank you for understanding. I am a bit weird though because I find that reading webtoons and manga are a bit more my speed than reading published novels.

I don’t know how to explain it, but that works for me.

2 Likes

Images make reading easier and more fun!

2 Likes