Fantasy/Science-Fiction Questions for your characters!

Here are the questions:

1. How many goals does your main character(s) have and list all them?
  2. What is the motivation (internal and/or external) that is prompting that character to keep going?
  3. Does the main character travel alone in their quest to complete their goal or with a friend or something else?
  4. What does the main character’s view of their world like? What would they like to change vs what would they like to see become better?
  5. What is truth that your main character refuses to believe in since they are so use to the lies they were given?
  6. What is the meaning behind your character’s name and does it tie in with the plot or is it just an ordinary name with some sublet meaning or is it just there?
  7. Can your main character use magic? What is their rank/level/status /and overall what is are their magical powers? What does their magic do differently than most people who wield magic?
  8. Is your main character skilled at using magical weapons or regular weapons? What is their weapon or choice when in a fight or not?
  9. What is the main characters’ relationship like with their friends, family, and even strangers?
  10. Is your character famous for what they do or did? What is the nickname that people give that character because of their fame?

I shall place three more down there soon enough.
This can be for any main character from any of your stories that are strictly fantasy or science-fiction.

Enjoy!!!

6 Likes
  1. Does your MC live in a world where technology is light-years ahead of the technology on Earth or is it about the same or something else?
  2. Is your MC have a personal grudge or admiration for their nation’s government or any authority figures?
  3. What is your MC’s outlook on life overall?

14(?) What is your MC’s race/species/gender/etc?

1 Like

@TheTigerWriter
@alenatenjo
@SecretDurham
@J.L.O
@NotARussianBot
@copyedit
@AMMeyers
@LxstinNeverland
@lowarlo

Come one, come all, my friends!

3 Likes

Working on A Riding Need right now. Maria Vitale’s overarching goal is to have her private life remain stable while she’s working on a bachelor’s degree before going into a Doctor’s program. That’s derailed by a crazy father, a cranky grandmother back in Sicily, a boyfriend with expectations, not 1 but 2 lovers from out of nowhere, and SHE isn’t even the main bad guy of her scenarios.

So, it’s secure funding that ain’t through daddy, learning her grandmother’s history, passing midterms, dumping the evil boyfriend, handling a surprise pregnancy, fending off demons, figuring out how to remove surveillance cameras from her home, and getting along with a half Incubus, half fey crow (we do werewolves all the dang time, ain’t no different) who is coming across like a grumpy but gentle Dom much of the time.

Why do I make things so convoluted? Lol

In part stability that her father can’t take from her, and the other half is just having a passion for caring for others.

The starting journey? Yes, on her own. Remaining alone? No–Crow-Incubus is guardian/lover.

She just thought of herself as a normal Italian Catholic, and that her father was fighting over money, not magical abilities of angels. Currently she is somewhat passive so that likely will change over time. I really don’t know as I’m only 7 chapters in and already need to rework the first chapter a bit.

She glosses over the fact that her boyfriend is at least part demon, after 2 not so cryptic warnings, so she treats the breakup as normal instead of protecting herself like she should. Nothing really happens, but it was dumb.

I do it subconsciously. I just wanted a Sicilian name that held up.
Maria basically means Rebellion.
Vitale is Judeo-Christian/Italian for the concept of eternal life.

Both suit what the character is doing, ultimately.

So far she’s using the sign of the cross to burn demon flesh. I don’t think I’ll have her doing much more.

Nope, none of that. Partially because I’m not writing an epic.

Kind of detached right now. More an issue for my writing style I’m sure.

Nope. I doubt I’m going to make her famous. Her son will be.

Current earth, as it is, going for everyday Americana toye thing so I don’t have to choose a city.

While people are individual, immigrants to America tend to praise America more than than native-born, but she’s 2nd gen. I think with an overbearing father she just didn’t have a chance to be one political? Then afterwards, the Otherworld is too strong an impression to worry about who is in office.

Curious. I’ve not really got much of a feel outside that, yet.

1 Like

In Book I it’s to find out the truth about her origins. In Book II onwards is to gather her fellow newbie Astral Guardians and go on a quest to capture the remaining elements that are essential to close the portals connecting the worlds.

To finally live in a world where no threats from other worlds will attack her world. She also wants the Astral Guardians to no longer exist since most of them have been bad for many years and threatened those they were supposed to help.

She travels with a group of friends she met along the way.

Despite her country having been conquered by a rival kingdom, she would like for the two people to one day co-exist and live in harmony. If she was able to start a long-term friendship with the boy from the rival kingdom, she’s sure her people and his can get along if they want.

That she’s adopted and her grandparents found ways to lie to her every time she asked about her parents. Another thing she refuses to believe is the possibility of her childhood friend to be the son of the man who conquered her country.

It’s an ordinary name. I remember reading a psychological/mystery shoujo manga titled Arisa and thought it was a nice name :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes. Arisa is a Celestian and the most common ability of her people is the ability to manipulate air, but for some reason she wasn’t born with that ability. Instead, she’s able to create heatwaves by absorbing the heat of her surroundings. But when she becomes a Guardian she’s blessed with the ability to manipulate fire and a special flame that can seal/unseal any type of magic.

Compared to her friends, she still has some training to do to reach their level. Her weapon of choice is a sword.

With her childhood friends, she’s joyful even though one of them enjoys mocking her and the other is full of himself. With her grandmother it’s all love and wisdom with her grandmother’s knowledge of medicinal herbs and life. With her grandfather, things between them can get a little bitter since he’s strict in Book I. With strangers, Arisa has this bad habit of trusting others easily.

Nope. She’s only famous for having a goofy face, according to one of her childhood friends :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Compared to Earth, her world lives in the past but is getting some inspiration from that advanced world.

She has a grudge for her current king since he conquered her kingdom and he took away her people’s freedom.

It could be better if everything was more peaceful.

Arisa is a half East Asian and half white young woman.

1 Like

Bump.

Anybody else want a shot?!

Doing these for Amneris

• Doing her job
  • Running her planet successfully
  • Avoiding paperwork (not possible)
  • Trying (and failing) to have a normal vacation
  • Looking after her family

A mix of stubbornness and annoying higher beings

Both. It depends on the situation

Something along the lines of “the world is f’d no matter what I do so I might as well do whatever I want”

I don’t think there really is one :thinking:

Birth name: It was the name of the First Queen
Preferred name: Kind of pinched from her favourite story book character
Doesn’t really tie into the plot that much

• Yes
  • Basically as high as you can go and pretty much anything she wants
  • It’s one of the three ultimate powers that have influence over all of Creation, not just individual areas

Both. She mainly fights with a staff but sometimes switches with a knife or blaster. Later in the series, she switches to a specially made tabar

Depends on the person, the day, and if they’ve done something stupid :joy:

Yes, mainly because she’s the Queen but also because of, uh, other things she’s done. As for nicknames/titles, that depends on the person, their opinion of her, and what they actually know

Well beyond light-years ahead

MC is the nation’s government :joy: But she really doesn’t get along with some people on the planetary council or the allies

“F this shit I’m outta here”
“Why?”
“Excuse you”
[insert over the top sarcasm here]

Lyriumian, Fae, Divine, Undead Immortal
Female

1 Like

Amneris sounds like a fun goddess!
:grin:

1 Like

Ooo yah. A fun, mass murdering overpowered goddess who just wants a vacation and for the others to leave her be :joy:

1 Like

Yikes!
LOL!

1 Like

It depends on the part of the story. In the beginning, Haisley is determined to prove Ariadne wrong. They also want to live up to their ancestor’s, Anne Boleyn, greatness; when they become the reincarnate of Merlin, they seek the truth of what happened and try to keep the legend from recurring. Throughout the book, they want to be accepted and freed from their past.

Haisley’s motivation is the need to prove themself worthy of greatness.

Haisley travels with a classmate, Avalon Ambrose.

Haisley has a cynical view of the world. They would like to see magic accepted in mainstream society. What they would like to see become better is the law and the way they treat mental health.

The truth Haisley refuses to believe in is that they can excel and make people happy.

Haisley’s name is undetermined, and it’s a beautiful name for a lovely person. But with the hazel ties, I feel like it could be tied to their druidic ancestry.

Yes, Haisley can use magic. Their powers are druidic magic and dark magic. They can see ghosts and contact them. Their magic can be destructive and chaotic unlike others.

Yes. Magical weapons and real weapons. Their weapon of choice is either a fire-blessed sword or blowgun.

1 Like

I’d be here forever if I listed every goal from every main character (because there’s quite a few). xD But the main goal for my MC is to gain revenge—he wants to kill the person who killed his family. However, he has a secretive goal he doesn’t know he needs (or wants) but it’s closure. He never got to say goodbye to his family (not really, anyway) and he feels that killing the magical queen (murderer) would take his pain away, but instead, looking at her in the eyes and facing her dead on is what he needs. Confronting her. Even though she doesn’t care (though later in the series, they actually do start caring for each other—platonically, of course—because they help each other out, ironically enough) it gives him a sense of purpose.

Revenge. :rofl: But also, putting a stop to a global and galactical bloodshed. She terrorizes everything, pretty much, so his motivation is to end it.

Nicolas is the captain of a small crew of soldiers. There’s about eight of them in total (Niel, North, Adaego, Darius, Prisylla, River-rose, and Annika—along with Nicolas), and they eventually pick up an exiled Victorian (powerless, also on the hunt for revenge) named Fara. But the crew befriends a few others along the way—a Koelegian princess named Nibule (with an accent on the “e”) and a half Koelegian and Victorian chick named Hiroko who also become main characters.

Nicolas doesn’t like the way the world is. He thinks of it as sad because of how much destruction there’s been. Not just the bloodshed from the Victorians, but the continental shift that happened thousands of years prior to the story’s beginning. It is set on futuristic Earth, and when the shift happened, there was a lot of climate change and disasters that happened. He finds it depressing to see a building covered in sand or a house devoured in vines and trees.

Later in the series, they actually travel to a different planet because the Earth becomes destroyed. So, that’s pretty much the whole “how it can get better” thing.

All Victorians are monsters. He also believes this because he sees them destroy places and hurt people, but he later realizes that they’re just brainwashed by the same person.

There’s no actual meaning behind it, per se. When I first came up with the story back in 2015, I thought of Nicolas because it was my favorite male name (thanks to Nicolas Cage—fell in love with him and his name as a child/teen lol). But when I changed his race from white to Egyptian (because when I came up with the story, it was all white characters—no diversity whatsoever on either front) I knew “Nicolas” wasn’t an ethnic name (because I know people will rant and complain about it even though people can name their kids a non-ethnic name that has nothing to do with their race or religion or culture :roll_eyes:) so I gave him an ethnic surname (Eissa) and, in the story, his parents named him Nicolas after something they read from a book they found. In their world, books are illegal to keep since there’s very few (due to the continental shift thing) and are taken by the government to keep in a place called the Archives.

Another thing to note is that since the story takes place a few thousand years into the future, nothing is the same. So, while his ancestors are Egyptian, he isn’t called that and doesn’t refer to himself as that. He’s from a continent called Lesian (which is Africa) and his language is Aklasian.

He was born human. He doesn’t get powers until the Koelegian princess does a ritual where all the characters can possess magic. Nicolas is the only one in the group with multiple abilities:

• Telekinesis.
  • Telepathy.
  • Summon and manipulate fire.
  • Transportation.

Nicolas is a swordsman. He prefers slicing and dicing. :sweat_smile: But besides that, hand-to-hand combat and shooting is what he’s trained for though not necessarily skilled. Like, he’s good at what he does, but he’s definitely not the best.

Nicolas his friends with his crew. To a point where they’re almost family. But when he’s on-duty, he feels as if he needs to be formal with them or else it feels inappropriate. This slowly goes away as time goes on, however.

There are some special characters in the line up, though:

Prisylla is his girlfriend. Has been for the last three years. River is his adoptive mother—she found him three years back when out on patrol. And Adaego is his adoptive sister, River’s daughter.

Word can get around, but it depends on where. Most times, not really. But there is this small “village” that’s within the walls of a castle, and everyone learns that he’s there and who he is and what he’s doing. And he doesn’t have much of a nickname. People just call him Nicolas or Nick.

Technology is advanced. There’s spaceships, laser guns, forcefields, AI, etc. Very high-tech.

He hates the government. The story is part dystopian, so there’s a corrupted government lol.

He feels as though there isn’t a point to living, that is, until he has Prisylla in his grip. Prisylla is his rock that keeps him grounded. Without her, he’d be nothing.

Nicolas is a seventeen year old human boy who is also bisexual and demi-sexual.

1 Like
  1. How many goals does your main character(s) have and list all them?
  • Figure out who and what he is, survive, keep the crew alive until they reach the new planet, help teraform and colonize the new planet, establish positive relations with the species living on the new planet’s moon, lead the rebellion against the subjugation and oppression of synthetics. (I believe that is all of the main ones? Which would be six.)
  1. What is the motivation (internal and/or external) that is prompting that character to keep going?
  • building fear of his own mortality as well as those he cares about, curiosity about the universe around him, resentment towards humans for their mistreatment of him and his kind.
  1. Does the main character travel alone in their quest to complete their goal or with a friend or something else?
  • He travels with a group of many people, some characters come and go, but the most consistent ones that stick with Alma are Gayle Chen, Arda, Abel, Logan Loric, and Brook-Lynn Young
  1. What does the main character’s view of their world look like? What would they like to change vs what would they like to see become better?
  • At first he has a strong sense of wonder about the world around him and finds it endlessly fascinating. However, as the story progresses, he becomes more cynical and wishes to change the way human society works and their tendency to shun, mistreat, or kill anything different than them. He wants to change their self destructive behaviors as well.
  1. What is truth that your main character refuses to believe in since they are so used to the lies they were given?
  • There’s nothing wrong with him. He isn’t bad just because he doesn’t meet the expectations of his creator. He is good enough, and is exactly what he was meant to be.
  1. What is the meaning behind your character’s name and does it tie in with the plot or is it just an ordinary name with some sublet meaning or is it just there?
  • Alma means soul, or to nurture the soul. This ties in with him being an A.I. with a soul, as well as his role as a sort of messiah, nurturing the souls of others of his kind and saving them.
  1. Can your main character use magic? What is their rank/level/status /and overall what is are their magical powers? What does their magic do differently than most people who wield magic?
  • No, magic isn’t really a thing in this universe. It’s a science fiction more than fantasy.
  1. Is your main character skilled at using magical weapons or regular weapons? What is their weapon of choice when in a fight or not?
  • Alma prefers not to use weapons, as he doesn’t like to use lethal force. Instead, he prefers using hand to hand combat techniques, such as krav maga, martial arts, and other types of self defense or offense. He also would rather restrain an enemy than cause serious harm to them. However, he will use lethal force and weapons if necessary. He’s programmed with gun proficiency and bladed weapon proficiency.
  1. What is the main characters’ relationship like with their friends, family, and even strangers?
  • His relationship with his creators are complicated and strained. Evander Graves (father figure of sorts) is someone he cannot understand and has a deep distaste for. He’s afraid of him more than anything. Gayle Chen (mother figure of sorts) is someone he has a better relationship with, but still fears the judgment of. Their relationship is strained, but they are both at least trying to improve it as the story progresses. Alma’s relationship to Arda (sister figure) is positive and he gets along with her very well, though sometimes is overprotective of her and shelters her too much, finding her frustrating when she rebels against him. His relationship to Abel (brother figure) is very one sided, with Alma trying very hard to improve the relationship while Abel couldn’t care less and simply follows orders, having no desire to have any sort of relationship with Alma at all. Alma finds this endlessly frustrating and has grown to resent Abel, despite his efforts to be kind to him. Alma’s relationship with Logan Loric (secondary father figure? Caretaker at the very least) is a bit strained as well, but far more positive than what he feels for Evander Graves. He looks up to Logan and goes to him for advice, though dislikes a lot of the teasing Logan directs at him. His relationship with Brook-Lynn Young (love interest) is positive, though confusing for him, because he doesn’t recognize his own feelings and has no experience or basis of comparison to understand or put a label to his feelings for her. He sees her as a very close friend, but yearns for more, he just doesn’t know that he wants a romantic relationship with her. He finds her fascinating, and despite her bold personality seeming to clash with his more timid nature upon first impressions, over time, he is drawn to her and has found that her personality actually compliments his.
  1. Is your character famous for what they do or did? What is the nickname that people give that character because of their fame?
  • Alma gains fame for being the first synthetic human prototype, but that fame sparks a cult following from other synthetics when they start to believe that he is their god. He is sometimes referred to as Synthetic Jesus, the First and the Last, and the Viral Soul.
  1. Does your MC live in a world where technology is light-years ahead of the technology on Earth or is it about the same or something else?
  • The technology in Alma’s story is much more advanced than it is in our current reality, but it still has it’s limitations.
  1. Is your MC have a personal grudge or admiration for their nation’s government or any authority figures?
  • Alma has a disliking for all human governmental systems, finding them inefficient and easily corrupted. He still tends to bend to authority figures, but as the story progresses, he becomes more and more defiant of them, until he is in an all out war against humans (which are authority figures by default because he is a synthetic human made to serve them).
  1. What is your MC’s outlook on life overall?
  • It swings back and forth a lot from him being extremely naive and optimistic, to him being incredibly cynical and jaded. It seems to be on a pendulum of two extremes, with little to no middle ground.
  1. What is your MC’s race/species/gender/etc?
  • Synthetic Human (Computerized brains in lab grown organic bodies with a few other cybernetic components and nanites in the bloodstream to keep the biological and computer parts working together in harmony) and he is male, both in sex and gender (though is sterile and cannot produce children naturally).

It sucks, so far.

Bethany is still a tad in her moody-teen phase.

I’ll return with more later. Maybe :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I shall await for your return.

I wait with bated breath, my friend.
I am all over today…why?

LOL!

I has returned :eyes:

1 Like

Yippee!

1 Like

Bethany’s goal is to find out her identity, find her way home again, figure out the secrets of her family, and possibly maybe save Wodeland from a curse.

Well, she was taken to Wodeland by her bird who turned into a man, and she shot magick light from her hands for a few chaotic seconds. I think anyone would want to know why they couldn’t use magick until then and what it all means.

Also, her mom is in Wodeland and sounded like she was in trouble.

With a bird that turns into a man, a beloved cat that turns into a man, a man that can turn into a fox or a tabby cat, and a man that turned into a snake. So, yeah, a lot of men but later, she will meet the winged people and travel with them, too.

Well, since Bethany goes to Wodeland which she is not familiar with, not much to say there.

Bethany has been lied to all her life and she has had to lie to others about herself. The truth she refuses to believe is probably that she might not be human and can maybe possibly use magick.

There is no meaning to Bethany. However, her alias, Celeste, is related to being the star child and the popular girl.

1 Like

Any questions so far? :wink:

1 Like