How long does it take for you to read a book?

• A few hours to a day.
  • Between 1-3 days.
  • About a week.
  • About two weeks.
  • About a month.
  • Over a month.

0 voters

I think if I had to narrow down my answer, it’d be between a week and a month, but it also would depend on the length of the book and how much I read it for. Naturally, I can get a 300 page book finished in a week, or sometimes less… if I read a lot. But I often have my moments where I only pick the book up once or twice a week and get it finished within a month or so. This is also why I prefer to read with an audiobook because it not only helps me read faster, but I have an estimate of how long I have left of it. xD

8 Likes

Over a month or pretty maybe over a year or so.
I have this thing with reading fiction novels of others that are published. It takes a very long time.

I am one of those rare people who would rather write fiction than read it.

Strange huh?

1 Like

if i’m determined and don’t have something important to do then about a day for anything middle grade or young adult. adult gets dense so it can take a little longer.

But if it’s just casual, then 1-2 books a week is my normal pace.

1 Like

I get that. That was me once upon a time lol. Still is, but I force myself into it. :sweat_smile: I used to only read one to two books a year.

Dang. That’s goals for me right there. :rofl:

1 Like

True. I guess I don’t have the patience for reading other people’s fiction regardless of how good it may seem.

I rather just write.

This is highly dependent on my interest in the book, the length of it, and the amount of time on a given day I have to dedicate myself to the effort.

I’ve read The Stand in a week at 1400 pages, I read The Half-Blood Prince in just over 24 hours. These days most of my reading comes when I’m settling into bed… so I get about fifteen to thirty minutes of reading a night which means I take longer at it than if I just hunker down with one.

1 Like

it gets easier with practice!

and also with motivation, ngl getting my tbr bookshelfcase under control this year has been a big motivator to read at a steady pace.

careful, it’s not possible to write a good story if you don’t read.

2 Likes

All of the above. It completely depends on how interested I am in the book, how motivated I am to finish it and if my mind is elsewhere.

3 Likes

I guess I’m not trying to write a good story. I just want to write a story that’s good enough for me.

:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Depends on how long the book is and how hard a read

1 Like

they tend to do that, over the age of 60.

:wink:

1 Like

but are you going to accomplish that goal if you don’t give yourself the tools to do it?

yes, churro, we know the consequences of getting as elderly as you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

The older you are, the wiser you are too :wink: I’m 120 in Churro years and I still look amazing :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Not gonna lie reading has been an ongoing issue for me even when I was younger. It’s not even just the simple “I don’t have patience” and more like I energy or even the will to sit and read a book not only that when I get “immersed” in the story…it feels blank. Like I am not seeing the big picture or any picture. I feel blind, cluttered, and most of impatience along with forgetful.

So, yeah I am still going to write fiction creatively regardless if I do little to no reading.

you must have an excellent skincare routine u-u

2 Likes

Yes, all the cream does that to you :smiley:

1 Like

Yet when I do read, it is mostly manga and webtoons anyway. The only way I will read a novel is by doing a read-along with an audiobook or just listen to the audiobook version.

I CANNOT read physical fiction novels alone. I would need help in that.

1 Like

of course, do it however you want, it’s you’re hobby lol. i’m just saying, you talk about your writing and the difficulties you run into with it a lot, and you seem really passionate about your projects. Reading is something that would help you a lot with some of those difficulties.

hm, that sounds like aphantasia :thinking: if you close your eyes and imagine a red apple, what do you see?

1 Like

You’re right it would help greatly. Most of the time it is just manga and webtoons that I read. I mostly stare at the picture and the only way I read the words is if it catches my attention.

So, I don’t think I call that reading. Since I am looking at the pictures more and skimming through the words. Hell, when I read and listen to the audiobook at the same time, I still can’t really see much in my mind. I try, but nothing’s there.

You can’t drink water from a empty glass simply believing that there’s water in the glass when really it’s just air.

Fuzzy darkness with some dim colors… no joke. Is it really aphantasia or something deeper? I may never truly know.

1 Like

About a month.

1 Like