Let's ask each other questions about our fantasy worlds. (closed)

Hi guys. Enna here.

Let’s motivate each other. Writing can be so isolating sometimes.

So, tell me about your world and ask questions about mine. In my reply, I’ll ask questions about yours’.

I may ask a ton of questions.

First, here’s my world.

Atlia: A city which is partially submerged underwater. A parallel world to our own. It’s like ancient Greece. It’s inspired by the legends of Atlantis. In Atlia there live these creatures called sirens, but they look more like mermaids and there are also males. One queen has ruled for a couple hundred centuries and birthed many children through the God of the Sea, Poseidon.

The sirens have their own magic, but from Poseidon, they were given a gem that prolongs their lives and heals wounds. Currently, the city is at war with another city called Karishkalia who are said to be evil storm-makers from the deep sea. The Karish, as they are called, are trying to take the gem and kill the Atlians in the process.

Now, tell me about yours and leave some questions for me :wink:

8 Likes

Still, working on my novel Tales of Alterra. It is a dangerously slow progress, but I have not given up hope.

About your world:

How many countries do you want to add?

Is there a magic system? If there is one, is it hard or soft?

What is the species that dwells there?

What type of governments are placed there?

Is it set in the past, present, or future?

What is the lore of the world like? Meaning what is the mythology like?

I will come up with some more later. Is that alright?

4 Likes

i love this so much thank you thank you

so i’m working on a couple stories. I’m posting up a werewolf/vampire story on WP (the one i asked you for advice about the group bullying)

anddd then i’m working on a murky concept, with “infected” ones who have small powers from a young age but are ostracized from society and physically damaged to be kept in check. That one is very obstinate and giving me trouble, so any questions are welcome there too hehehe.

Okay, so about Atlia!

What human time period is it most equivalent to? i.e roman times, middle ages, industrial era?
It’s anthropomorphic creatures right? Which ones are highest one the food chain? Which are the lowest?
Do sea creatures and land creatures get along or is ther a lot of fighting?

3 Likes

Night Queen’s progression is crawling on.
Mostly figuring out the right order of events and looking to improve my prose.

On another topic, how much attention should I pay to my themes? I have one large one but how do you go about utilizing it effectively.

2 Likes

like make sure it’s integrated in the story?

1 Like

Seems like an opressed mages thing. How dangerous are they, really?

1 Like

I think it is in the story from my planning, but it feels as if I am missing something.

1 Like

What is the food like?

1 Like

their percieved danger comes from the fact that every power has a corellating negative effect, and on the new moon their powers can go out of control.

also the myth that’s really perpetrated in the world is that they’re contagious, able to give other people these painful powers.

i mean also it’s set in an older time (which isn’t my usual setting at all) and back then people were pretty superstitious so shrugs

1 Like

Do you feel a conflict between how the theme is in the plot but not necessarily in how the characters act?

1 Like

More like that it doesn’t really appear in full force until much later in the story.

The theme is that no matter how much you love someone, they’ll still have a mental illness. Believing that your love can cure them or make them better is naive at best.

2 Likes

gotcha.

you might be able to indicate traces of the theme in interactions earlier on. If she acts bouyant and confident to resolve something in him that she thinks lowers his quality of life or limits him, that could still touch on the theme i think?

It’s a crappy example but you get the idea

2 Likes

I think you have the right idea

1 Like

I was motivated to save most my chapters still on the phone to gmail because I just got a new phone due to T-Mobile “not supporting 4G anymore”. Now I’m torn between finishing the dang werewolf crud and the first draft of the cinderella smut (honestly more fond of the world than the story). But that is life. Going to take me forever to get used to this new phone.

2 Likes

get calmly writer

I got a OnePlus 9 developed by Hasselblad. So used to Samsung. Feeling every bit of my 40 years right this second. Lmao

Just got two more chapters to write and then I’ll be done with the first draft of the second book of my series that takes place in the afterlife.

About Atlia!

What are the environments like? Are there any biomes in Atlia that don’t exist on Earth?

What’s a common pet in Atlia?

What’s the biggest drama/scandals going on in Atlia right now?

2 Likes

How self-real is your world? (Matrix was a not-world in a real world, for example.)

2 Likes

Possibly even realer. Primarily works on animist principles, everything has a soul and awareness.

That’s definitely a position to debate. Scientifically speaking, our world isn’t self-aware.

1 Like