"Maybe I'm just built differently...or not really?"

Quick Question: When you are in the writing zone, how many hours can you last for, without even taking a break?

I most likely mentioned this before, but I am always physically drained from writing for hours.

I either take more breaks or something, but I am so in the writing zone that I am pretty much saying “fuck breaks, I am having fun!” all the time.

How about you all? Are most of you like me when you are deep into writing?

6 Likes

I think the longest I went while in the zone was four before someone came to check I was alive

3 Likes

Can you do that nowadays or not really?

1 Like

Haven’t been that far in the zone for a few months so not lately

3 Likes

Interesting.
What’s the most can you do now? Just curious!

1 Like

I don’t pay attention much to the clock when I write, so I don’t really know how to accurately gauge how long I typically write. Usually I just keep writing until I finish a chapter and will write at least one full chapter in one sitting. Sometimes that only takes a few hours, sometimes it takes all day. Depends on how focused I am and how much fun I’m having and a bunch of other factors. It definitely can lead to burnout sometimes, but if I’m having fun, it doesn’t exhaust me as bad.

2 Likes

Oh great one, teach me, your ways please!
I am serious. :wink:

Anyway, I admire that though. I don’t want to say that it is simply me getting older physically or something, because that shouldn’t matter too much…right?

1 Like

Lol, you misunderstand me. I definitely still get worn out from long writing sessions. I’m just stubborn and do it anyways out of spite. :joy:

1 Like

Gah! I am becoming like that too!
Sorry for misunderstanding things!

Writing is indeed fun but also physically exhausting. It’s like a double edge sword or something or rather some type of oxymoron.

I don’t know if what I saying makes sense.

1 Like

Lol, no worries. But yeah, even doing something you love expends energy. It’s good to take breaks to relax and reward yourself when you complete something, even if it’s just a paragraph.

1 Like

True, very true!
:slightly_smiling_face:

I haven’t been able to get into the writing zone for a while now :sweat: I used to be able to go for a couple hours, but now I only can manage 20 minutes before I need a break. Hoping after my hand surgery I can go back to writing via pen + paper, and that might help me write for longer periods of time with less distractions :star2:

2 Likes

Damn…I am sorry to hear that.
:slightly_frowning_face:

I hope things do changed and you’re able to write again.
The fact that you can write for even a bit is something.

I do hope I make sense.

2 Likes

Thank you ^^ You did make sense, and I appreciate it! I’ve been procrastinating on the hand surgery for a couple years, but it’s my new years resolution for '23 so here’s to hoping I’m finally brave enough to do it :joy:

2 Likes

No problem. I hope you get well and be able to write again for funsies.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you <3

1 Like

Couple hours, then I go for a walk or stretch or wash dishes etc. I find that quality takes a dip if I write too long.

3 Likes

At the moment? Maybe half an hour

2 Likes

I take breaks between sentences, some days. Others I pound out a chapter without context of time.

3 Likes

My record is 3 hours

2 Likes