#ONC2023

Hi!

Open Novella Contest announced that they’re coming back in 2023 (February I guess). Who is excited for this edition? :smiley:

9 Likes

ME!

3 Likes

I FEEL YOU

Did you participate last year?

3 Likes

Yep got to like round three :joy: hbu?

2 Likes

I didn’t last year, but the year before I did :relaxed: I wasn’t in the mood then, but now I’m 100% ready :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

I am really looking forward to seeing the prompts. If nothing will stick, I will be okay to pass, but I would love to participate! It’s always so much fun! Or at least till the Short List announcement, heh

3 Likes

It’s indeed fun! I like how the community comes together when it happens.

Yes! I remember reaching the last round before the short list. I aim higher now :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

I’m game! Although I will only write one story this time… (basically I started one story last year, decided it was probably too weird to do well so I started a second one as well, completed both, and in the end the first story was the one that shortlisted :joy:)

I have an idea already that I hope I can fit into a prompt but we’ll see what happens once the prompts are actually released.

5 Likes

Understandable that you’re sticking to one then :see_no_evil: I’ll try at least two stories now… but it depends on inspiration :sweat_smile:

Always fun to have ideas beforehand!

3 Likes

I longlisted 2x and withdrew once because my story got too long. :sweat_smile: I don’t want to aim for short list because I don’t want to be disappointed again.

3 Likes

I don’t really care, I am just gonna write.

3 Likes

I’m planning for it.

2 Likes

It depends. I still have little faith in Wattpad after last year’s fiasco with the sneaky addition of taking the rights to the winner’s works, but if I resonate enough with one of the prompts, I’ll consider doing it.

3 Likes

I went a bit mad and wrote three stories last year. :grimacing:

If I do it this year, it’ll only be one and if I do the story I’m thinking of, it won’t do well. :sweat_smile: It’ll be a bit weird.

3 Likes

The ONC judging process is such a mystery that aiming for a certain result can only lead to heartache. Writing a story you’re happy with should always be the main goal :sweat_smile: (yes I’m getting sappy after almost losing my joy for writing after trying and failing at the Wattys last year)

My goal this year is to actually write a story that I can extend above 50k afterward because all my ONC stories so far have been so limited in scope (and ended at below 26k) and I don’t really want any more stories that aren’t eligible for the Wattys bobbing around on my profile :joy:

3 Likes

Said I wasnt going to, now I’m hyped. I have a TON of novel ideas on my ideas document and I’m going to read through the prompts. Who knows.
I have a million things to do but eh. If the Inspo strikes I guess! I shortlisted last year so maybe this is my year :rofl:

2 Likes

I didn’t have the energy for ONC last year, but I’ll give it a shot this year! I’ve got a very … strange story idea in mind. Hopefully I can make one of the prompts fit it. Good luck to everyone who will be participating!

2 Likes

I hadn’t had anything really gel since ONC, for plenty of excuses. Maybe this will work for me. Dunno.

2 Likes

Funnily, all 3 of my ONC novellas ended up as novels. ‘Her First Husband’ ended up in the ‘Hearts in Zenith’ (along with 2 other novellas I wrote that year), ‘Rivals and Revels’ flat-out was a novel instead of a novella and ‘Maximus’ went from 22K words to 60K this NaNo.

I would like to do the same this year, if I see a prompt I like. Basically treat ONC as writing an extended outline for NaNo first draft, explore the characters etc.

3 Likes

I love this idea - it seems like a great use for ONC!

I’m not sure if I’ll participate or not. I have 3 worries about it: 1) if I get an internship I applied for, I’ll be too busy; 2) I got kind of burned out after last year’s, so I’m worried I’ll get burned out again; and 3) I don’t really have any story ideas to go off of yet.

But I loved the hype and the community during it. It was really fun to participate. So I might do it… depends on if I get any ideas from the prompts and if I get that internship or not. I’m supposed to know by the end of the day :woman_shrugging: so we’ll see

1 Like