#ONC2023

Well, I have nearly 800 words of word vomit. Aka what I call the ideas that come to mind but need to be shaped before I put them in my outline.

I’m honestly unsure if I have enough for a novella but I’m going to share what I have with my discord group and see if they can catch anything that I’m missing because I know I’m missing stuff.

4 Likes

The way I wrote it, the prompt fits in chapter 1. :sweat_smile: it does an amazing job of making my abandoned historic mystery interesting. Well, at least to me. It may be really on the nose, but it is a novella. If they judge it ‘not acceptable’ I would understand.

3 Likes

So far my strongest feelings are towards this one. But I’m going to ignore the “courage to talk to that cute someone”. I just want to write it with “You shouldn’t be able to see me” prompt.

It will fit great as a quick sequel to my 2021 ONC.

I asked in the ONC book if it’s okay to modify it that way. If they don’t respond or say no (though I’m guessing they’ll say yes), I can add a bus to the equation to make it resemble the prompt more but I’d rather not be forced to since my initial idea of where this would happen sounds better than a bus. :wink:

This one would also fit well as a sequel though I don’t feel as strongly about it. For the one above, I have an idea for a really fun character that makes me want to dive right in.

Hmmmmm.
And now I got an idea of combining them into a different type of story. Curious, curious. I’ll give this a think.

3 Likes

I really don’t care if I get shortlisted or not, I am just looking to write something and finish it. And feel that sense of accomplishment once again.

1 Like

Honestly, same. Like, getting listed would be super great, but I want to just enjoy the story and see what comes of it x3

3 Likes

Help me choose, please

1 Like

52 There is someone you dream about every night, but you never imagine meeting them in real life.

Whelp 1K into this… So, another 1K tomorrow and time to test another prompt.

Slapped a freaky probably temp cover on it for now:

4 Likes

Yeah, I think that more people should be like that, to be honest. It is a time to experiment, have fun and see what comes of it. We’re not meant to be planning and pitching a novel at this stage.

1 Like

We’re working on the same prompts! I can’t wait to read the story/ies you come up with.

I hope we’re allowed to modify the prompts because mine also doesn’t happen in the bus. In the second prompt the one who actually opens the portal is someone my main character is supposed to help, so I hope it’s fine to use the prompt this way too.

3 Likes

That is really cool. Great minds think alike!
Did you post your book yet? Let me know so I can add it to my reading list.

In the past they’ve been pretty lenient, allowing everyone to change the prompts.
But I got an answer

Hello, it doesn’t have to be on a bus! Although, please stay true to the character building up the courage to talk to the stranger who they see often that they weren’t supposed to be able to see. Hope this helps!

I asked a follow up question because this is exactly the part I want to cut out of the prompt. But even if they get stubborn about it, I’ll use #40 as my main prompt. I’m not using a portal but a literal door. My MC won’t be “stuck” though. But there will be ghosts and a Grim Reaper and a third party - that’s the best part.

I have a lot of work to do to figure it all out.

I was really bummed because I wrote an awesome blurb but then I realized that I don’t actually know yet how far the plot will go and this blurb might essentially be describing 80% of the plot. Possibly. I don’t know! So I had to cut all the best stuff out and just left it at one sentence for now. :sweat_smile:

But at least it’s a little more concrete than “Mystery project” :rofl:

2 Likes

Not yet, but I’ll post it later today. In the meantime I’ll follow you to receive a notification once you post yours.

I hope you have a positive response because I also plan on leaving that part out. My MC will see that person for the first time and will gain the courage to talk to him out of concern because he dresses funny and has a weapon. She’s shy, so talking to that stranger is already a big step for her, so I wonder if that works as a character build for the prompt. I hope it’s fine :crossed_fingers:t3:

Same here! I’m using that prompt as my main. The coincidence :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

A literal door, anyone could open it. That sounds intriguing, I can’t wait to read what sort of adventures the MC will dive into. I’m itching to read it already.

Aww, I can’t imagine how difficult it is to cut down the best bits of an awesome blurb. But I’m sure you’ll come up with a better one. I just hope you didn’t completely delete the parts you cut down and saved them in your notes for future reference :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:rofl:

At least something is developing.

2 Likes

How do you do ONC as a pantser?

The grammar and technical stuff is part of the judging bit, right? I’m afraid if I write a first draft type of thing (and don’t have time to edit, assuming) I won’t be able to give them the best?

Am I thinking too much? Should I just do it and see?

Also, as long as it’s a standalone, can you submit a book that takes place in the same world as your other books?

1 Like

I am a panster 100% and it does worry me a bit how it will affect my progress in ONC. I plan to just write as much as I can by the last week in February that way I have a better idea where the story is going to write my blurb. I thought of the beginning and the end but the middle… for the life of me I can’t outline… I need to write and see my characters take shape. Once you can see the end you will probably be okay with ONC.
Yes you can submit a book that takes place in the same world as your other books but it has to read as though it’s an only book for those who never read your other works.

4 Likes

53 about the city in the Atlantic? Sounds like I could…do my underwater princess story. But that part would be a prologue. The entire story will not be about scientists discovering a city.

so, probably won’t work?

Do you edit as you go? Because grammar and such are judged.

(and now, yes, I do recognize you XD )

1 Like

You just do it. I kinda did it last year. I only had a rough idea and as I wrote the novella, things became clearer. I would write notes of scenes in the midst of writing a chapter. The only trouble I had was finding an ending for the novella version.

I usually preview and revise the chapter before posting it. Even so, some mistakes escape my eye. I noticed I had a small number of mistakes when I edited the story for the wattys, yet I made it to the ONC '22 shortlist. I don’t think they mind editing mistakes as long as they’re minimal and it’s readable.

Yes! Do it and see. What matters is your enjoyment in writing the story.

Yes. My novella was a prequel of my series and made it so far, so it’s fine as long as it follows the prompt.

3 Likes

I do nottt. Editing as I go is a death sentence to my writer’s brain lol Unfortunately I’m going to have to try for the ONC so wish me luck lol. I will have a friend look over it for grammar and punctuation mistakes though as that skips my eyes easily.

(hah hii :P)

3 Likes

I posted one story, which is an idea I already had and had some bits and bobs drafted for. Unfortunately, I may have had the idea for too long and now it’s starting to bore me (I’m sure I can get into it though as the idea does still feel solid and marketable). But my brain seems to want the thrill of just churning out a chapter of a new story, that I had no idea I would write before I saw the prompts, so it’s currently spouting ideas all over the place.

Damn it! I said I wouldn’t do two ONC novellas this year! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Some of how @DomiSotto has described this being a good time to do a 1st draft/short version of a Watty’s prep book is a great way to look at this.

They don’t read this when you turn in the 1st, 2nd round. They read it at completion, so as long as you are well done before the time allotted, you’ll have time for a 1st edit, which fixes the worst of 5he grammar.

3 Likes

My submission (or the first chapter thereof) is live. Here goes nothing.

4 Likes