#ONC2023

If you have to, lay out the issue here.

I have decided to go with THREE OF MINE.
It’s slowly becoming a Bluebeard inspired story and I don’t know how to feel about that …
I like Bluebeard as a story and perhaps as a base. But I don’t want it to be a retelling. I want it to be an original story.
So how do I use the prompts I chose and not go near Bluebeard at all?

1 Like

I’m kind of surprised you came up with Bluebeard, there.

Hrm, touching on lesser known pirates or women who were pirates?

Like this one:

The 16th Century Spanish pirate Alonzo Bosco also terrorized shipping from his own private island — in this case Inishbofin, off the coast of Ireland’s County Galway. According to legend, Bosco erected his own castle on the island and forged an alliance with Ireland’s famous female pirate, Grace O’Malley.

1 Like

It’s going to be set in the modern era. So… Sadly no pirates.
But we do have a blonde suit wearing killer!

1 Like

Serial, mass, or Punisher (vigilante) style?

He killed his two wives and covered up the crimes. Then he got engaged to the protagonist, who he met on a dating site.
So probably serial killer. Maybe even the type to have a troubled (murderous) past and then just finding out he has a taste for killing too.

I’m so excited to just write this story but I can’t yet. I have to plan out a few more things.

2 Likes

So a SK just starting out. Thing is is he going 5onstick to wives or is he branching out?

Probably be a good idea to look into why people liked Ted Bundy so much.

I was going for the type that is sort of a black widow(er). But doesn’t change his identity at all. He targets a specific type of woman, encourages her to keep a diary or journal. Then, he slowly manipulates them. Gaslighting them. Making them forget about appointments, he erases from a joined calendar. Spikes wine and makes his fiancée fall asleep, who then assumes she’s a light weight.
Of course, these little things, always affect her personal life and work life. So she becomes more isolated because friends think she has an issue. Work friends walk past her in a B line.

(her, in the general sense here)

So the woman has to be desperate to get married. Despite being pretty. She doesn’t have much luck in the romance department. Which the killer picks up on. Exploits. Then, he executes his plan. Whirlwind romance, quick engagement, and then it starts snowballing downhill from there.

Spiked wine, missed appointments, weird text messages to friends and family. Which cause frantic and panicky journal entries, which he reads to keep track of his progress.
He then kills the woman at the peak, the high of it all. And then files a missing person’s case. Or not. He gets rid of the bodies. And goes back online on the dating site. Telling a sob story to his next victim. Who then falls for it and ends up in his web of lies, pain and sorrow.

I don’t have his motivation for doing all of this. Maybe he just hates women. Maybe they have a great-aunt that died and left them a fortune. Hence, they’re on an elite dating site. I don’t know. Yet.

3 Likes

If you mean my chapter, it’s not a matter of an issue but more about distractions. Lately, I’ve found that every time I sit down to write, I end up doing something else. I need to motivate myself to get a move on.

Yup! Sounds like a thing I do, a lot… I sit down to write, but join a Discord Call or go on IMVU. Or watch Netflix. It also doesn’t help that the fan of my laptop is busted. So it sounds like a goose. Every time it starts and stops, it sounds like a goose. We’ve ordered a new fan for it, so it should be good as soon as that gets here, and it’s installed.

But, until then… I’m still the server’s mascot. Aka: The Goose.

1 Like

Why can’t I write Atl like my side project? lol.

1 Like

:joy: That is hilarious.

Honk
I made this in Canva !!
People were going “GOOSE” in voice call and “Honk”. Sadly we have ordered a new fan so one of these days, Goose will be silent. But hopefully the fan will work then. So I can maybe… play games like Stardew Valley. And write in peace. With no HONK going off.

2 Likes

Ah. The ADHD crowd doesn’t really self-regulate well.

The only thing that I know that works is finding something just as important that I want to do less. Yes, I’ll write a chapter to not do the dishes, please.

1 Like

:joy:

I procrastinate plenty without that.

1 Like

Yeah, but the lesser of 2 evils hanging over my head just motivates me. Like today’s goal is cleaning the living room which my toddler wholly trashed over the weekend. Lmao

1 Like

I have bad experiences with them. Twice in a row, despite reporting very specifically that I finished all the chapters by the partner in my report, they re-paired me with the same person. First time they redid it right away. Second time… crickets. I think I am going to quit it. My advice: go with dreamland. Always.

I think there must have been a couple of judges who were either really hard-core or have troubles with language comprehension, because some culled stories were more professionally written than a far less sophisticated that passed. Even if English is their native language some folks just have no habit of reading actual books, so they have a hard time with stories that are written like books.

2 Likes

I checked out Dreamland but I don’t like their inane rules. Can we be adults and just trust each other to do the work?

If ToD doesn’t work out, I can always try to pair up for a critique exchange here on Wackys. Hmmm. Maybe I should have started with that.

1 Like

I dunno, right now is when everyone will probably be too busy to do extra reading so Dreamland rules help more than ever.