#ONC2023

You can do Watty. Mentorship Bootcamp for it is about to kick off. So you can prep a story for that if you have one.

I may have to use the 3 prompts to write the story. But I also don’t know if I can use the prompts from ONC for the Wattys.

1 Like

You can. ONC prompts are not copyrighted or anything. Most of them are a take on an already popular stuff anyway. Premises are generally always available for a reuse. What’s forbidden is copying someone’s work in whole or in part, with, like, just replacing names. Also, quoting even a line out of a song.Text

1 Like

Ohh then I’ll definitely use the prompts. I was thinking of a relationship that got sour and then the woman or protagonist falls for the bad guy. The antagonist. And I was going to write in 3 parts first. And then let it come together. 3 wives, 1 guy. 1 survivor. 2 dead.

Also, 19 chapters posted, about 34.6K words in, just about to start the big action sequence for the finale. Will probably be leaving more scenes than I thought for the novel. Which is a good thing, because 50K won’t be a problem.

2 Likes

Well, they released the list. I have everything up to 8K already and was close to finishing out Maysie’s Galaxy at the 20K aim (2 more chapters than the one I’m currently on). In all honesty, that would skip tons of years to do an ending around 20K.

I don’t know how I feel about this. I don’t think I feel better than I did when Mini Moo didn’t make it on a technically, last year.

Last time, the 2K round didn’t matter, nor did the 8K, last time, so this is more streamlined for the judges, but what this abrupt change does is mean you need to polish that 2K before you know where the rest of the story is, as a pantser.

MG is labeled a children’s book and is basically fun science fiction. It’s something I’d prefer to write in, not accepted.
The Essence of U is a psychological mess, something I don’t normally write, again gets me out of romance.
Wolf and X Bunny is just a mental romp. Just meant to showcase how insane I can write a silly character. (Yay for trainwrecks.)

Instead I’ve got modest smut (it wasn’t supposed to be about the smut): how the hell is this not going to become an epic novel?!
Heavy smut: it’s going to be about 20K because I get tired of writing it.
Threats of smut: that poor child.
Three brothers living the horror that is Fairytales: jokes about smut damned if I’m writing more.

Honestly, the best thought out of my 4 is Djinn Trap.

But I suspected that this would happen. They cut down my list for me, and show me which ones I’ve got to work on until the next deadline.

3 Likes

At least you made it. I didn’t for some reason despite having around 7K words before I submitted weeks before the deadline. There’s not much violence and no smut or sensitive topics yet for some reason I didn’t make it to the next round. I just don’t understand :woman_shrugging:t5:

2 Likes

Churro, write 4k of Atl.
Churro, write 4k of Atl.
Churro, write 4k of Atl.
Churro, write 4k of Atl.

Forget about your other stories.

You got through, big Pastry.

Somehow, it might have been a glitch in the matrix, or fate.

BUT FINISH IT BEFORE IT’S TOO DARN LATE!

5 Likes

I think that this year they were making decisions based upon your first 2K. Some of the wording indicated that it would go that way, but it was not extremely clear, so I expect some backlash over it.

The ones they didn’t want? I intend to finish them, eventually.

1 Like

Getting four through is a milestone. :smiley:

2 Likes

I was looking for sooo long for your name! I simply couldn’t believe you didn’t get passed the first round! I read your book everytime I get the free time (which is less time than I want tbh)… Will you still be finishing the book? My friend also didn’t get past the first round and I LOVE every update of her book as well.

3 Likes

That kills the fun of the contest since it destroys the motivation to keep writing your novella. Weren’t judges using that criteria of grammar and storytelling for longlists and shortlists? Why the sudden unclear change?

I usually revise and edit my chapters before posting so I don’t think grammar was the problem. But then, English is my third language, so maybe there were mistakes I didn’t understand.

Aww, thank you so much for your support! And congratulations for making to the next round. I hope to see War of Crowns in the shortlist because Leia and Dakath deserve it.

For now I’ll put my entry on hold to focus on finishing writing the final book in my series (I’m pretty close in finally reaching that ending). Once I’m done, I’ll analyze my ONC to turn it into a novel.

4 Likes

I thought everyone got through on the first round, regardless, as long as they wrote the 2k @DianaTheThird They did that last year. And I think for the 8k part too. I got through most of the rounds. Except for the last two. I think I freaked the judges out with my entry lol.

3 Likes

Considering the mess it was last year where people were left off that did everything right, I’m surprised they still got that big an entry this year.

2 Likes

Story always wins, guys. In the end, except for like 5 peeps who win, everyone else in the ONC doesn’t pass one round or another. And that happens every year. Every year I’m shocked with some stories that pass and every year I’m shocked with some stories that don’t.

Ambassadors are just other Wattpad users and who knows why someone didn’t pass a story through.

Life’s too short and keep writing!

4 Likes

I thought the same too. I guess they wanted to make things different this year. It’s OK; I’ll be watching and cheer for you even if I’m out.

:joy:
But your stories have an interesting premise. They should let you pass just by your stories succeeding in making them feel that way :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I saw someone complaining that this was the second time in a row that happened to them and that’s discouraging me from entering again next year. Not that I’ll ever make it to the longlist and shortlist again, but passing rounds really helps in boosting your writing pace with the deadline always in mind.

I hope they’ll return to the number of words written criteria for the first two rounds next year.

Ah, I see. So it’s something that is common. Since this is my second year, I was shocked.

Thank you for your encouraging words!

1 Like

It’s annoying when that happens. Yes, we appreciate the support.

Thanks lol. I like having an interesting premise, at least. Your story sounds interesting as well. I will definitely check it out too. Keep up writing it, even though you didn’t get through :slight_smile:

2 Likes

At least for the 1st.

2 Likes

Congrats to everyone who made it.

Big hugs to those who didn’t. I don’t know how they were choosing this year but it seems different from prior years. Prior, majority of entries got through the first round as long as they qualified and didn’t break the rules. Now, it seems like they culled very heavily.

I thought that maybe they culled because there were too many entries, but judging per number of stories tagged with onc tags, it’s a usual number. It could be just this batch of judges and their preferences.

Big hugs. I hope you don’t give up on your story.

3 Likes

My usual critique group has been less and less active lately. I sure miss those good old days when we had 5 active members, but they finish their books and they move on. Meanwhile, I’m going nonstop. Hmmm. Interesting… :thinking:

Anyway, I have too much time on my hands (not really but more than I used to), so I joined Team of dreams onc book club. Let’s hope I get a good pairing.

Maybe getting some feedback will help me move on with this story. I’ve been stuck on the latest chapter for two weeks already and the clock is ticking.

3 Likes